GRETSCH Catalina maple owners rejoice!

pearlygates

Gold Member
It's official!
Gretsch finally answered our cries for an add on 8" rack tom!!!

I have heard a 60-120 day wait as production fires up!

Get those orders in now!

* also another 2 lacquer finishes are becoming available this year!

A stunning see thru black lacquer/black chrome HW and hoops! and a beautiful red sparkle lacquer finish!

More to love about this awesome series of maple drums! Gretsch for the win!!!

I may be mistaken .. but I believe that the kick drums are readily available to purchase thru your Gretsch dealer.

Wow, do you know how awesome this is. I was just online trying to figure out how to buy an 8' shell and have it painted!!!!! Timing is everything!!!!! Where did you hear about this and is it on the Gretsch website yet?

I looked all over the Gretsch website but had no luck. You got an inside source? Sharing is good......

Ok, that's it. An add-on 8" tom, AND an add-on bass drum... I'm sold ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

How to the Catalina Maples compare to the Renowns, soundwise?

Ok, that's it. An add-on 8" tom, AND an add-on bass drum... I'm sold ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

How to the Catalina Maples compare to the Renowns, soundwise?

Not in the same league. Renowns have better shells hardware and hoops, and heads.
Not much in common other than the name.

I have a Renown African mahogany shellpack (see signature) and they sound beautiful and they're quality built for sure. Yes the shells are different material and they have die-cast hoops and they sound pretty awesome with the Evans heads. But, I have to say the Catalina series I've looked at lately are some very nice drums. They sound and look great. They appear to be built solid too. I can hardly believe they can sell those beautiful drums (for example the new Red Sparkle Lacquer finished Cats that include a 1616 floor tom) for $850!

I just bought a 16 x 16 Cat Maple floor tom that almost matches my Renowns in color, and I put the same head on it, Fiberskyn, as I have on my 14 x 14 Renown and the sound difference is minimal. It may be because both are tuned real low anyway but all in all for 80.00 I am very pleased. I'm still tryng to find info on these new Cat. add ons. And no answer from Yamahammer on his source??

I just bought a 16 x 16 Cat Maple floor tom that almost matches my Renowns in color, and I put the same head on it, Fiberskyn, as I have on my 14 x 14 Renown and the sound difference is minimal. It may be because both are tuned real low anyway but all in all for 80.00 I am very pleased. I'm still tryng to find info on these new Cat. add ons. And no answer from Yamahammer on his source??

Now if we can just figure out the secret Silver Sealer mix........

I bought a set of Cat Maples for my son. I tune them very high, like jazz or big band drummers did in my era. They sound as round and resonant as any high end Ludwig, Rogers, or Slingerland I used to play. Fiberskyns, now that is interesting. How would you rate those against Emperors or G2 coateds? I have often wondered if anybody still plays calfskins.

According to what I have read here and on the internet the "Silver Sealer" is nothing more than silver paint. I took all the shells of my Cat maples apart and sanded and sealed the interiors with Teak oil. Not only did it make the drums look like custom made shells, I would put the sound quality equal to the Renowns if not better. I use G2's over G1's. Still want to know about that 8" add on!!!!!!!!!!! Who's your source Clark Kent?

Geez you guys!

Another forum I post on.

A member and Catalina owner contacted Gretsch via [email protected] basically pleading with Gretsch to produce an 8" add on tom. To his surprise and mine this is what showed up in his inbox next day..buncha doubting Thomas's!

Kevin,

We literally just set up 8" toms in our system. You can special order the drum you need from any authorized Gretsch Drums dealer. the lead time is about 90 to 120 days , as we just made these available for order. The part number is MC-0708T, it is a 7"x8"

Regards,

Gretsch Drums

Good enuff for ya??

so what are you wating for??..yeah I'm talking to YOU!

Go getchoo one!!

It's not a matter of being doubting Thomas' but just that no one could find anything on their website or any where else. I visit their site weekly and know that their news section is slow to move but as Gretsch owners we just needed to validate the info. We still luv ya'.

Back