My custom home made garage built kit

DIYBandit

Hello to all. New member here and thought I'd post some picture of my newest kit. Long story short, I've always been the type to build my own things whenever I get the chance, so I built my own drum set from scratch.

In High School I had a cheap second hand old worn out Atom drum kit (fiber composite shells, yuck) that had warped shells and was just a piece. I began looking into buying a new kit but I wanted a decent one and couldn't justify purchasing a $2k+ kit at the time due to needing a car and other things. I worked at a lumber store at the time and the store was going out of business so all the lumber, hardwoods included, was on sale. I thought it'd be cool to build my own kit if I could, so I researched the stave method of building drums and decided I'd give it a try. I was watching the price of the hardwoods go down every week as we were selling out but I just bought my car and didn't have the $400 to spend on wood. After we closed the doors for good I came to work my last day to help clean up and they told me they had a surprise for me. They knew I was looking into build a kit and decided to save 30ft of 1X8" Mahogany to give to me as a thanks for working for them and staying till the end. I was super excited! I went home and figured what size of drums I could get out of the material and decided I'd begin the project my winter break from school.

It was my Junior year of high school. Winter break rolled around and I began constructing my first day off. I originally planned on spending a few months on the project but ended up getting it done in a week and a half lol. Looking back I wish I would have spent more time on it just to make it look nicer, but that's something I can go back and do when I feel the urge someday. I reused all the hardware I could off my old kit and threw away the warped shells. Due to the limited amount of wood given to me the shell sizes came out a oddly proportioned but they sound great anyways, so I have no complaints.

Shell sizes and materials are as follows:

Mahogany:
Bass drum - 18"x14"
Floor tom - 14"x8"
mounted tom - 10"x7"

White Oak:
Snare drum - "13x5.5"

Birdseye Cherry:
Popcorn snare drum - 10"x5.5"

Plan to build a "16x14" floor tom and a "12x7" tom to "finish" the kit eventually. So here are some pictures of my kit how it sits today.

Oak snare

Popcorn snare

14"x6.5" Mahogany and Maple alternating stave snare drum in progress

I can post a few pictures of the build process if anyone is interested in seeing them. Unfortunately I didn't get very good pictures of the build but I did get some that show the gist of it.

Let me know if any of you have any questions about it or the process. I'm not expert on building drums but I can try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities!

That's pretty darn impressive.​

Congratulations on finishing your own kit. A week and a half is incredible. Did you have access or do you own a lathe?
I noticed the backwards splay on the snare, and it looks like that can be easily fixed by turning the shell a little smaller. Looks like you have the extra thickness to play with. Something maybe when you have a little time and want to improve them a bit more.
Nice job on the kit, play them proud.

Congratulations on finishing your own kit. A week and a half is incredible. Did you have access or do you own a lathe?
I noticed the backwards splay on the snare, and it looks like that can be easily fixed by turning the shell a little smaller. Looks like you have the extra thickness to play with. Something maybe when you have a little time and want to improve them a bit more.
Agree with all of this. Stellar job!!!!

Wow, not bad at all, looks pretty darn nice. I'd like to hear that white oak snare. The most I do in my garage is work on motorcycles, throw wrenches across the garage, and spew out horribly abrasive language.

That's pretty darn impressive.​

Thanks!

That's incredible of you and very industrious. Pretty kit for sure and bet it sounds just as pretty. Well done buddy.

Thank you! I'll try to get a decent recording of them sometime in the near future and post it here.

Thanks dude! I actually did not use a lathe. I don't have access to one so my dad and I made a turn table and mounted it to our drill press and used that. The bit only had enough travel to cut about an inch deep down the sides of the shells, so the rest of the shell still has all the flat sides. I think it looks cool though. Almost looks like I just used old whiskey barrels. I could turn the smaller but there is no binding in the lugs or hoops or anything like that so I'll probably end up leaving them like that. I think it makes them more original.

Here's some pics of the the process. I'll just post a few.

As you can see by the pictures nothing was really done how I would have preferred. I used the tools I had on hand. I filed the bearing edges by hand as well. That took awhile!

Agree with all of this. Stellar job!!!!

Thanks!

Wow, not bad at all, looks pretty darn nice. I'd like to hear that white oak snare. The most I do in my garage is work on motorcycles, throw wrenches across the garage, and spew out horribly abrasive language.

I'll post a video of the snare next time I go home in a few weeks. I honestly don't even like the sound of it at all. I think it's mostly because it's a 13" snare. I've never liked the sound of 13'' snare drums, except for the Pork Pie 13x7 brass patina. That is a wonderful sound 13" drum. I'm actually a huge car guy and spend many hours in the garage wrenching, so it was different to do some wood working in there haha. I throw wrenches too lol. Dad an I rebuilt his Tbirds 429 over winter break. It was fun.

Let's see the T-bird! My favourite year is '62-64. Always wanted to do a pro-touring street racer using one as the base. The idea of some Vette sized rubber tucked neatly under the wheel wells gets me excited.

That would be fun! My dad's is a '71. It's a 3 owner, us being the third, that was originally owned by a Ford Executive for a few years. Then the guy my dad bought it from had it since about a year ago. It sat in a garage untouched for 30 years do to the previous owner having major health issues. We bought it with 47,000 miles, it now has 50k miles. Interior is mint, vinyl seats are still plush as well as the vinyl roof. Click on the picture, it's a video

Wow, I wish I could do something like that. Wouldn't know where to begin. Great job.

Hey, I've been super busy recently and haven't had a chance to post in a while. I went home last weekend and was able to take a short video, but I'm having some trouble editing it. It's too long to upload how it is currently. I'll try to get it posted asap

Well done.

I'm not familiar with the lugs on the pictured snare. "MADAM"?

The lugs on the floor tom, bass and snare are "ADAM" drum lugs. My first kit was a dilapidated off brand kit that had warped shells and were just falling apart. The only thing good on the kit was most of the hardware. I used the lugs on this kit when I built it. The mounted tom has lugs off an older drum I had laying around with unknown brand. It's kind of a miss-matched kit because I'm too cheap to buy hardware, it's sooo expensive. So I used what I had and bought what else I needed.

This is the badge all the drums had http://www.jedistar.com/images/drum/adam_badge.jpg

This is very inspiring. I'm sorry I missed it. One day I will make a drum. Wood working is something I want to do in my golden years. Guys like you inspire me, thanks for taking the time to show us all.

It is inspiring to see the workmanship that went into your kit. The finished product is excellent. I like how you worked around not having a lathe. Very practical solution.

Watch out Andy! :)

This is very inspiring. I'm sorry I missed it. One day I will make a drum. Wood working is something I want to do in my golden years. Guys like you inspire me, thanks for taking the time to show us all.

Thank you! Glad I could provide some inspiration. Wood working is quite fun. I really enjoy taking raw lumber and turning it into practically pieces of art that have a practical function. It's really cool. One of the hobbies that I think accomplish multiple things at once.

It is inspiring to see the workmanship that went into your kit. The finished product is excellent. I like how you worked around not having a lathe. Very practical solution.

Watch out Andy! :)

Thank you as well! The finished product could definitely use some refinement, but for my first try and my limited tools I think it turned out well.

Great news! My drum set has been brought out of hibernation! I'm a junior in college right now and I left my kit at home the first 2 years due to not having the room for it at school. As a result, it has sat and collected lots of dust and has been moved around the house a lot as my father believes it is always in the way. I play drums for my church and they were in major need of overhauling their kit so I offered to bring mine so they could save money, and really I just wanted an excuse to bring it to school so I could play it again haha. I can definitely tell I've lost a lot of my drumming technique in these 2 years of no action. That is sad but at least I get to play a few times a week now! I'll try to find someone who has a good camera to record a bit of my playing to give you guys an idea of how it sounds. Hopefully I can get that video made soon.

Also, I'm currently on the prowl for some new cymbals for the kit, which I've wanted for years. I'm really contemplating getting the 5 piece Zildjian K cymbal pack.

Back