What's your Favorite fill from a song!?

Re: Whats your Favorite fill from a song!?

I don't have a particular favorite kill mainly due to the fact that my favorite drummer is Brann Dailor. He's so fill oriented I just can't choose. Listen to Hearts Alive or Ole' Nessy, those have MANY amazing fills in them.

and its a bit cliche, but the breaks in Tom Sawyer, Neil Peart.

stu

They are not the most complicated fills by any means (hey I can play them) but there's a reason I made those breaks my primary ringtone on my phone.

The topic of the thread is what's your favorite fill not what's the most incredible you've ever heard so I don't think there's anything cliche about saying that you like it. Everyone has their own taste and things that speak to them and for some reason those fills speak to me.

I could go on and on listing all the Jimmy Chamberlin fills I like because there are so many and I can't pick any one that I like best, so I'll just say I like everything he plays!

In the Wake of the Swollen Goat- Clutch. The intro is used as a transition fill and it osunds amazing.

No one has or ever will have the same groove that bonham did. And for that reason Untouched is the way to describe his drumming. Sure people can duplicate what he did but could they have made it up? Probably not. The thing is about Bonham, his drumming didnt revolve around a whole lotta chops. He was all about raw power, slamming the skins at atomic levels that produced a signature sound for him and then stringing in his famous grooves that had a feel like no one elses - especially in the older material with the bluesy feel. (for example the grooves in I Cant Quit You Baby, How Many More Times, Heartbreaker, Since Ive been loving you, ect...and the list goes on) So it is right by saying his drumming is and has been Untouched.

I honestly think Jean Paul Gaster in Bonhams modern day rival. If youve seen him live, you would totally understand what I mean. He has CHOPS, but he grooves his ass off.

I don't care how many times it's been said, the triplets on Fool in the Rain are definitely up there on my list of, like, the best drum fills. I really love at 1:12, where he first uses drags and rim shots. The second drum fill in No Quarter with the ghost notes is fantastic, I still get chills when I hear it. I also like the fills right after the drum solo when the band comes back in Moby Dick.

Aside from Bonham, Jajunk pt. II by Umphrey's McGee- I just love everything that Kris starts doing when he goes between the toms, hats, snare, and bass in his fills. Also off Anchor Drops, the title track, when there's a fill after the first verse leading into the guitar solo, and on Plunger, there are some tasty fills.

Yes- Tales from the Topographic Ocean- The Revealing Science of God- right at 4:16. I could listen to that fill over and over again, even if 32nd note fills aren't scarce in rock.

Phish- Story of the Ghost- Limb by Limb- The nice descending tom thing at 1:17.

Rush- A Passage to Bangkok, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Jacob's Ladder, and YYZ. But that last one is just begging for fills every, what, 4 bars? So anyone could do that, really.

The Beatles- Maxwell's Silver Hammer in the chorus and Cry Baby Cry's first drum fill.

P.S. They Might Be Giants- Lincoln- Cowtown's drum intro- overall pretty lame, but the first time I heard it I had a chuckle. It fits the song like a special-ordered glove.

Pretty much all of the fills from dazed and confused, those lightning fast drum rolls around the set. Amazing

Dude i did a cover of that the videos on youtube tell me what you think...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2pdCAxha0
I'm 14.....

so just the first fill that comes to mind is the first fill in "Baby, you wouldn't last a minute on the creek" by "Chiodos". really all the fills are awesome and fun to play but specifically the first.

Well , mine are mostly all Peart, but , 1 that comes to mind is the fill after verse 1 of Open Secrets , starting at 1:40. Also , just about the entire "Give Blood" song - talk about groove! Thanks.
Somtawyer

Neil -
Alienshore: Killer fill at the end right when Geddy says "For you and me!"
Leave that thing alone: Crazy fill at the end
Digital Man : All the fills during the lil reggae riff...
Xanadu : The cowbell fill during the guitar riff...

Richie Heyward -
Liltte by Little by Robert Plant...real tastey fills throughout.....

Weckl
Spur of the moment: The intro is classic....
Tower of Inspiration: During the hits section some crazy synchopated licks.....still can't fiqure them out....

Garibaldi
Soul Vaccination: We gonna play that @ our next big show....the breaks are killing me to get them right in time....

Theres soooo many more!

Another of my favourites just came to mind - if everyone can allow drum solos to be songs .... Neil Peart`s Show of Hands solo has that `` let`s use 2 toms and my snare. but only 2 hands , and cross-over like mad `` section.

I used to love that fill that opens Temples of Syrinx by Rush. Then I realized it was Bruford's fill from the opening of Heart of the Sunrise played down the toms. Well, that would be one of my favorites, Heart of the Sunrise. Lots of nice stuff in there. I especially like the triplet stuff he does at the end. But I always liked that the roll four sixteenths, roll four sixteenth thing.

Also, that fill the opens up the final return of the 'a' section in Josie, Steely Dans' with Jim Keltner.

The fills in Al Jarreau's Distracted with Steve Gadd, especially the flam after the first statement of the verse, and the 9 stroke roll after the first chorus.

Probably one I saw James Williams play in a concert with Tiger Okoshi where he just ripped around the kit, but was playing really quiet until he cracked out a rimshot and actually stood up and stomped on the kick pedal. It was really cool.

The fills in Little Wing are also just amazing, especially the first one. I know people who play it just on guitar when they're sitting around, and everyone always sings those fills because the song just isn't complete without them.

To list but a few:

'Bombs Away' (0:35) - Stewart Copeland

'La Grange' (Very first fill) - Frank Beard

'Money' (4:25) - Nick Mason

'Bargain' (0:12, First fill) - Keith Moon

'Tarkus' (2:47) - Carl Palmer

'Apocaplypse In 9/8, Supper's Ready' (The whole section blows me away; one of my favorite pieces of drumming in all of music) - Phil Collins

'No Quarter' (0:53) - Bonham

'La Villa Strangiato' (6:28) - Neil

Last edited:

I know Nick Barker's overrated, and i know he uses triggers, but for some reason i love this fill:

Dimmu Borgir's "The Serpentine Offering" ( 4:28)

To list but a few:

'Tarkus' (2:47) - Carl Palmer

Tarkus' (2:47) - Carl Palmer I was thinking of something and couldn't place it; it was the one at about 17:50 with the phase.

The last 30 seconds of Lock and Key from Hold Your Fire (rush)
Theres just something about the build up, two singles then that flam a diddle (I think)
Then the onslaught of glory that just gives me goosebumps. I cant tell you how many times ive listened to that.

Also
Manu Katche absolutly shreds on Gabriel's Secret World live album
MY GOD (also I dont remember who played bass on that album but damn that dude was amazing.)
The fills on Red Rain; my favorite one is at 3:00 something about that fill and the fills during that segment are just soooo melodic and captivating. (although almost the whole song is a fill hahaha show off)
Another is
Across the River (katche same album)
starting at about the 5:00 the whole ending haha amazing.

Another is
Omar Hakim
from Childrens Crusade off of Stings debut solo album Dream of the Blue Turtles
They go into this insane sax solo and Omar just lights it up great ones
at 2:29 (wow) and
3:18 AND 3:42 hahahaha are u kidding me!!

Ok I know im going nuts here but I dont care haha I love it!
Heres one
Vinnie from 7 days off of Ten Summoners Tales (sting)
the fill into the chorus at around 1:07 (uh what!?)
Stewart Copeland intro to Man in a Suitcase he finishes the fill with a SPLASH hahah NICE!
Also the end of Murder by Numbers
0:13 Driven to Tears
Intro into Spirits In The Material world
Ok i'll stop
Anyhow Its songs like these and the fills that, well 'fill' them that make my day. God I dont wanna stop lol...ok i will =(

The intro to "Where eagles dare" on the Piece of Mind album by Iron Maiden. I can never get tired of that fill from Nicko.

Back