Kodo Drummers

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQ1...layList&p=225FEE45CB107FE7&playnext=1&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-f5a7BgSA&feature=PlayList&p=C8BF2FE614EB426C&index=0&playnext=1

These two videos are from Youtube and not mine

I saw this group tonight here in the Tampa Area. They are great. They don't play percussion, they play Concussion. Those three and four foot drums just move you in your seat. I was in the second row, but the way the rows curve I was about 6 feet from the stage, and I mean to tell you, you feel it. Listed on the program with the Director, Technical Director etc, is Mitsunaga Matsuura, Conditioning Trainer. These boys and girls are fit. If you ever get a chance, go see them. Almost 2 hours, and a lot of variety, from the huge pounding to some very smooth single stroke work that went on for 10 minutes.
Great show.

Second video, check the dude in the back left who is literally using a baseball bat sized beater.

One last fact because I know you were wondering...The shell of the Largest drum,, the O-daiko, is made from the trunk of a large African Bubinga tree. The drum weighs 882 pounds and the heads are made from a large cow. Now you know.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I'd love to see these guys. I'll keep them on the watch list.

I've seen the Kodo Drummers live, three times. Each time fantastic.

Their lifestyle is absolute dedication.
For example. When they arrive in a city to perform they take their usual, regular, early morning marathon run through that city.

Gotta' be fit to be in that outfit.
I feel so relived because I sit on a drum stool to play. :))

I've seen them three times as well. They were awesome every time. They make significant changes in the performance tour to tour, so you won't see the same show twice. If you get the chance to see them, don't hesitate. I've listened to their CDs too, which are fine. But they don't compare to the live performances.

Yes. You must see them live to fully appreciate them.. it's more than a show.....it's a drumming spectacular.

My six-pack (well..I call it that) ached in "sympathy" with some of the sitting angles the guys were in while playing.

Royal, my six pack has turned into flabdominals, and you are right. These guys were sitting in what had to be the hardest crunch position, about 45 degrees, and pounding away for minutes at a time. Absolutely great fitness.

Royal, my six pack has turned into flabdominals, and you are right. These guys were sitting in what had to be the hardest crunch position, about 45 degrees, and pounding away for minutes at a time. Absolutely great fitness.

I haven't got a 6pack either, I've got a keg. Much kudos for the guys sitting at angles! And to that group in general, they are awesome! If I ever find them in the Netherlands I'll go see them for sure!

Similar to the Yin and Yang symbol does anyone know what this symbol is called??

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 639
Thanks Royal. That make sense. Mitsubishi means 3 diamonds, and this has three sections.
And Google tells me its 3 comets.

Back