Drum Gloves

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I've been playing for about 5 years now and I've recently started wearing gloves (Promark Bionic) and loving it. I'm not really getting calluses any more (without gloves) because I've improved my grip etc, but a drummer is going to have slightly rougher hands than the average person. So in the interest of perfection I decided to start wearing gloves. I find that the gloves prevent sticks slipping from sweat, improve grip even more and keep your hands in good shape.

Just thought I'd like to hear your experience's with gloves and drumming. Or your experience without them if thats what you choose.

I won't do gloves because I want to feel the sticks but I have used a variety of products to prevent slipping. I have a number of threads posted in the sticks and heads section. You may want to have this this thread moved to the Other Gear section.

As much as I dislike the look of them and the idea that I'd be more "disconnected" from the sticks, I'm starting to wonder if gloves are a good idea myself.

I'm about 90% recovered from chronic tendonitis that has plagued me for more than a year. As my grip and technique have improved, the pain has (mostly) subsided.

However, I still prefer a non-stick surface on my sticks and don't have the desire to dip them or apply something to every stick I try that doesn't come with something like that. Gloves would be a simple solution.

What are the cons in your opinion, now that you've used them? Is your fulcrum/grip less sensitive? Are the gloves bulky and obstructive?

I have wore gloves in the 80's & 90's.
One it did help with the sweating and even occasional blister.
Two, I remember seeing the J. Geils Band drummer wear black
leather gloves... I thought it was so COOL Looking, so I started wearing them.
However, I do not use them anymore!

As much as I dislike the look of them and the idea that I'd be more "disconnected" from the sticks, I'm starting to wonder if gloves are a good idea myself.

I'm about 90% recovered from chronic tendonitis that has plagued me for more than a year. As my grip and technique have improved, the pain has (mostly) subsided.

However, I still prefer a non-stick surface on my sticks and don't have the desire to dip them or apply something to every stick I try that doesn't come with something like that. Gloves would be a simple solution.

What are the cons in your opinion, now that you've used them? Is your fulcrum/grip less sensitive? Are the gloves bulky and obstructive?

I went in particular for a fairly thin glove because I didn't want to loose too much feel of the stick, so look around before you buy. If your playing jazz I wouldn't recommend gloves but most rock applications you will be fine. I've not found rudiments, ghost notes, or dynamics etc have been affected. You could go the Copeland route, he wears Nike leather golf gloves because they're paper thin. He swears by them.

I have gloves and I sometimes use them. I have Arthritis and they help keep my hands warm sometimes. I can't articulate as well with them as I can when bare handed playing.

I haven't tried it yet, but according to Carter Beauford(dave matthews band)it gives you more grip hence your muscles aren't very tence therefor you can play faster,etc. I guess ill give it a shot soon and see for myself!

I used to use them all the time in the 80's. I don't use them anymore. I still have some just in case. Zildjian makes a great glove.

I've been usig gloves for years.. actually, since the 80's. I have tried all brands from Tama, Zildjian and Ahead. The Tama ones didn't last long but they were cheap as far as pricing goes. The Zildjian gloves lasted the longest. They were good ones. Now the Ahead gloves are junk in my opinion ( I swear by their sticks). Fist off.. they are $35 - $40 depending on where you shop. They rip, tear and fall apart. The last 2 pair I had didn't even make it a month and they fell apart where the stitching was. Junk. I now use Nike batting gloves. They are $15 at Wal - Mart and last a long long time. They will stretch and simply wear out before they rip or fall apart.

I've tried gloves here and there, but for the most part, I can't find a pair that fits me.

I have big hands, and even the XL in many brands isn't big enough to be comfortable. Many sports gloves come big enough, but aren't really suited for holding drum sticks.

The best pair of gloves I ever had were "Jerry Rice" model football gloves, but they clearly weren't designed for the abuse of drumming, as they fell apart way to quick. But for the short time I had them, they were comfortable and held the stick really nice.

But these days I don't slam the drums like I used to, so I've given up on looking for gloves.

I don't know why but I've always found the glove thing a little bit cheesy. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there's kind of an eighties or pseudo rocker connotation to them (probably from the stereotypical drummers on TV that just beat the crap out of their drums, have disproportionately large upper bodies, and wear Zildjian t-shirts all the time). Sorry if I seem vain, I just try to distance myself from that stereotype as much as I can. Anyway, I used gloves (they weren't nice or anything) back in the day when I had a tendency to get blisters due to my poor technique and I really didn't like them at all. I felt like it was kind of awkward and they didn't really add anything to my playing.

Oh yeah, none of this was meant to bash on any glove guys out there, just offering my opinion.

How 'bout Yey AND Ney. I have some great gloves that I use sometimes. To answer Zambizzi's question, I feel they do reduce the sensitivity in my fulcrum. However, they also eliminate slippage and are quite comfortable. So I use them occasionaly and it's usually dictated by how long I play. If I'm gonna play over 45 mins or so, I'll use them for comfort and grip improvement.

I use Under Armour The Yard II batting gloves. I think the leather is thin enough to retain some sensitivity, but sturdy enough to prove quite durable. BTW for metalheads, they look completely bad ass. Here's a pic for reference:

Attachments

• ua.jpg
    ua.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,559
I've been playing for about 5 years now and I've recently started wearing gloves (Promark Bionic) and loving it. I'm not really getting calluses any more (without gloves) because I've improved my grip etc, but a drummer is going to have slightly rougher hands than the average person. So in the interest of perfection I decided to start wearing gloves. I find that the gloves prevent sticks slipping from sweat, improve grip even more and keep your hands in good shape.

Just thought I'd like to hear your experience's with gloves and drumming. Or your experience without them if thats what you choose.
I don't wear them, for me I hope I never do have to wear them either, it would be just one MORE thing I'd forget to bring to the gig!! :eek:

TenPastTen, yes, those gloves look completely bad ass! I use Neumann football receiver gloves, they have this sticky thing on the palm that helps with the grip somewhat, although they are kinda thick and may not offer much sensitivity. Anyway, I just got'em because I saw a picture of Chris Adler using them, and I knew I had to try them. I'll check those Under Armor gloves too.

I would prefer to play with gloves. I like the ahead ones the best but their durability is toatal crap. Like Wolfmoon said they rip on the stitching and i've even ripped the fingers off taking them off a few times. I've also ripped them putting them on for the first time....Now you wanna see me get mad..hahaha.

I've used fingerless motorcycle gloves from time to time. For me that is the best of both worlds, providing cushion at the palm and the areas where the fingers join the hands, but have the feel with my fingers. I'm long past the blister stage, so I like those as a change of pace.

gloves? absolutely not. i've tried several different types of gloves and refuse to use them now for several reasons. 1. i don't feel like i get as much response from the stick 2. i feel like they weigh my hands down and prevent me from doing anything technical 3. the sweat doesn't go anywhere, it just stays in the glove and gets hotter and hotter until it starts itching like hell 4. if i get a blister or knick skin off my knuckles then i can show it off later like a badge of honor and 5. gloves are for sissies.

=D cheers!

Back