considering a new snare

I saw a pdp platinum solid maple snare listed on music123 for $179. I'm really considering getting it. My pdp platinum set came with a regular 5x14 snare. I would probably get rid of my old snare.

My question is would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

Just to be sure, I emailed music123. They said it is a single ply solid maple snare. I asked them why it was listed for only $179, when they have the exact same snare in a different finish on their site for $487, but they wouldn't tell me. My guess was originally because it was supposed to be backordered until june, but when I checked today, it says backordered until april 10th, and its still listed for the same price. Guess we'll see what happens. I'm in no rush to get it

Well, I guess I know why the snare was so cheap. It looks like pdp is discontinuing the platinum series. They aren't listed on their website anymore. I was considering picking up a second floor tom while I still have the chance. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to find another good deal.

Hey!

On the topic of PDP Platinum solid snares, I made a review/demo video of mine. I was in the same boat as you....no info anywhere on this drum! But I went for it anyway, and I'm really happy with it. What do you think of it? Which finish did you get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcB1QU7FVaI

It's too bad about the Platinum series, but I guess it's not really surprising. The whole series was DOA, and now with the DW Performance series, there's no room for both sets.

- J

The ship date got pushed back to june 22. I'm trying to see if I can get it somewhere else for the same price.

I ordered it in tobacco burst, because thats the color of my pdp platinum series set.

Also, to comment on something I noticed in the video, the head i got on my original platinum series snare was a reverse dot dw head.

Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PDP-DW-Platinum-5x14-Solid-1Ply-Snare-Drum-209-99-/180650865570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0fa173a2#ht_646wt_905

This is the seller I bought mine from....very reputable drum shop (as I hear, anyway). They gave me good service and the price was right.

About the head...I'm surprised to hear that DW even has another option for a snare head. I thought they only used the one (the single ply coated). I'll probably try this one with an Aquarian coated reverse-dot when the stock head breaks, or maybe just an Aquarian single-ply coated. Contrary to most drummers, I like a 'ringy' snare, so...

- J

As much as I want this snare i'm probably going to cancel my order. I was accepted as a transfer student to an ivy league university without any financial aid. The school is much more expensive than the school I am at now, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Back