Movies that Feature Drumming

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Based on a Hollywood Jim post in another thread, I was wondering if anyone knew of good movies (maybe bad, too) that featured drumming in them. These would be fun to see.

Reminds me of this. My Mother did not like this picture. In 1957 my Dad was showing Kim Novak how to play the drums on the set of Pal Joey.

Yeah right, looks like she was really interested in learning how to play the drums.

WG-vi.jpg

The Gene Krupa Story

Spinal Tap

Some Kind of Wonderful

Almost Famous

Rockstar

And there is a great short film floating around the net called "The Drummer" that has been posted about many times. It's very much worth watching.

All good drum movies.

I get hooked on YouTube videos of the vintage bands playing. Last week I kept watching videos of The Young Rascals. Great drumming.

I have noticed recently when camera operators shoot a band playing, they rarely show the drummer playing (for more than one or two seconds).
Drummers just don't get good video coverage in a band and yet they are usually the ones who are displaying the most physical movement. Go figure !

I thought "That Thing You Do" had a great bit of focus on drummers, to be honest. the hero is the drummer!

What's impressive about "Whiplash" is the lead actor has actually played drums since the age of 15, so he already was drumming before landing the part. Of course to prep for this role he practiced 4 hours a day 3 days a week. He did most of his own drumming in the move - about 70%. The other time his off camera drum instructor did the rest.

I thought "That Thing You Do" had a great bit of focus on drummers, to be honest. the hero is the drummer!

That movie is set in my hometown. I know a couple musicians that tried to claim their band was the inspiration for the movie. The story I heard is that Tom Hanks had the idea and was traveling thjrough Erie and thought it would be a good setting for the movie. I woujld have been about 5-6 during the era that movie is set in so I was taking drum lessons around the corner from the scenes shot downtown. It is rather remarkable how well they captured in Erie in the early 60s. BTW there was a bar out near the airport called Vilipianos. And there was an appliance store at that location.

I liked Drumline but I like corny movies. Also Some Kind of Wonderful circa 1986. A girls soul salvation is her drums.

Also recently viewed the documentary bios on Levon Helm and Ginger Baker on Netflix. Always loved their playing but it was hard to like the men after viewing. Both come off as mean and petty. Didn't expect that from my "heroes"

Most famous drummers I've seen or read interviews with come off humble and easy going. Ok not Buddy but most everyone else.

Last edited:
Great thread idea!

I liked Drumline.
Also: Beware of Mr. Baker (documentary about Ginger B)

Does anyone know of any other good documentaries of drummers?

Also recently viewed the documentary bios on Levon Helm and Ginger Baker on Netflix. Always loved their playing but it was hard to like the men after viewing. Both come off as mean and petty. Didn't expect that from my "heroes"

Levon Helm as petty!? or mean?! Can't see that at all.

Stu Copeland has a documentary about the Police (from drummers perspective) all taken on his Super 8 camera. Pretty fragmented, not recommended.

Levon Helm as petty!? or mean?! Can't see that at all.

Never met him - my only experience was the film. it could be the way the documentary was edited, or where Levon was at that time in his life, or my own projection. My apologies if I mis-characterized the man.

The Man With The Golden Arm
Step Brothers

Here is a teaser to. A doc on drummers

http://ferociousdrummers.com

These are student docs on drummers and drumming in Philly

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/lo...-examines-drummers-throughout-philly-history/

And this one called a drummers dream http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663970/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Described as - A rare and unique assembly of some of the greatest drummers in the world. Explosive talent, passion, humour and irresistible personality come together in a magical setting when seven diverse drummers create a profound and unforgettable experience. You've never seen drummers like this before! Featuring Nasyr Abdul Al-Khabyyr, Dennis Chambers, Kenwood Dennard, Horacio "El-Negro" Hernadez, Giovanni Hidalgo, Mike Mangini and Raul Rekow, the film engages us with the rich music styles and influences that are as dynamic as the performers themselves. We are lifted to another dimension as we connect to the powerful forces of nature embodied in the music of these master musicians. The creative and spiritual freedom of expression these artists display is overwhelming - from Latin rhythms to the wildly original compositions of Kenwood Dennard. Rock, jazz, Latin fusion, soul - these master drummers have backed up the likes of Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Carlos Santana and now - each other. At the center of the film is the warm-hearted Nasyr, and his musician friends who share their knowledge with forty students for this incredible, unforgettable week of music and camaraderie. The overriding philosophy of these musicians is driven by love, compassion and joy of life. At the end of the film you will be tapping the rhythms that live within us all and the positive energy these masters display will continue to pulse through you for days to come

Two more - a drummers passion about a 70 year old Korean drummer, and there is also one about an Australian drummer who goes to Korea to meet and learn from a shaman who happens to drum his way to the spirit world

Last edited:

Attachments

• Kate Beckinsale.jpg
    Kate Beckinsale.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 273
Back