Musically, what are you involved with at the present?

1. How many bands are you in? Two

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation? Church worship team: many singers, bass, guitars, drums; Blues/Rock band: bass, guitars/vocals (two or three), drums/vocals

3. How often do you gig? Church: twice a week; blues/rock; just starting out, no gigs yet

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? Medium-sized church; blues/rock: festivals and restaurant/bars

Peace and goodwill.

One, named Backtrack.
Instrumentation: All guitars/dobro. Three-piece lyrically driven Americana/Country/Rock and Roll. Emphasis on songs/singing from which everything else follows. Lots of harmony vocals. About twenty percent original tunes. I play a Telecaster.
Only a few gigs so far, so about one every two months.
Couple of different bars, private parties, and a farmers' market.

I'm in one band - The Soul Organization - 60s (mostly) Stax/Atlantic covers, Otis, Wilson Pickett etc.

It's an 8 piece: male singer, bass, guitar, drums, plus 2 sax, trumpet and trombone.

I formed the band last Nov and it's only now just coming together with a stable line-up. We have around 8 -10 gigs lined up for the rest of 2014. Looking to get on the festival and wedding gig circuit next year.

PS: I love it. I grew up with this music and it feels awesome to be playing it regularly :)

Due to the split we'll likely change to a folk metal style thing.

Instrumentation was standard rock band, now we'll likely expand with keys, hurdy gurdy, whistles and possibly slide didgeridoo.

Folk metal? Now this I got to hear. That's like an oxymoron. I can just imagine Hey Mr. Tangerine Man with distortion, double-bass and cookie monster vocals. What will be next?

It is not metal with acoustic guitars and birkenstocks.
It is metal... but they all dress like trolls.....literally

Yes, I had to go hear some of this. It does seem to have an underlying troll thing going on. Kinda reminds me of Riverdance with double-bass and distortion. Interesting. Not something I'm really into, but interesting nevertheless.

Folk metal? Now this I got to hear.

Like general folk, it can take a few visages.

Standard metal line up, but include any or all of the following: different types of guitar-like instruments, hurdy gurdy, saxophone, general medieval sounding instruments, didgeridoo, flutes, pan pipes, horns (the viking war type, not brass), etc etc.

Trolls are the most common... Fintroll etc, but there are other bands, such as Eluveitie, Lumsk and in some of their heavier stuff Omnia or Faun who aren't quite as... Lordi looking.

It's an interesting and ever evolving genre. You could take a conventional folk band like Bellowhead, give them a seven string with distortion and a double bass pedal and call it folk metal if you wanted. Always interesting.

Back