Help Identifying Mapex

frisco68

I saw an ad on the net of this kit, I am really interested, but don't know what kit it is precisely and don't want to buy anything before making sure of its quality. Could you guys help me identify this kit and if its worth buying? All the ad says is : "Mapex M series 6 piece drumkit with stands, kick drum pedal, 2 cymbols and hi hats. Also included, New Warwick Rocktek carry bags." It says 6 piece although I can't see the extra tom, the guy probably didn't use it in that setup. Obviously I will go check it out and play on it before I buy, but just want to know if its worth checking out.

Thank you

722585c_20.jpeg

Looks to me like a Mapex M-Birch kit based on the paint job, shell sizes, and the bright wood on the kick hoop. Not bad intermediate level kits, what do they want for it though?

Look at the badge if it just has an "M" it's a birch, if it has "Pro M" it's maple. Now I don't know if it's color reflection or bad lighting but it doesn't look like it was well taken care of, stands look rusty. If there is no physical damage and the cymbals are good, I'd offer no more than $400 for all of it.

Okay, thanks for the help. The guy wants R5000 for it, that's about 625$, but I'm sure with some negotiation I'll be able to get it for around 500$. Remember, things are a bit more expensive here in Africa.

They're a pretty decent set of drums. I saw a band who opened for 36crazyfists and their drummer was using a set of pro-m drums. I think mapex might have forced him to for like an endorsement or something but the point still stands that they were deemed good enough to be used live by a professional outfit (even at download and everything!)

Thanks for the help! What do you guys think of the M-birch kit?

Thanks for the help! What do you guys think of the M-birch kit?

I didn't like them- they're built well, but some choices made them more like a beginner's kit [1.6 mm hoops, 6 lug floor toms, even on the 16"], yet marketed like a birch version of the Pro-M's, which had the 2.3mm hoops and 8 lug FT's. Kinda sketchy. My former workplace had them, and they sounded ok, but not as good as the Pro-M's, not even close.

I didn't like them- they're built well, but some choices made them more like a beginner's kit [1.6 mm hoops, 6 lug floor toms, even on the 16"], yet marketed like a birch version of the Pro-M's, which had the 2.3mm hoops and 8 lug FT's. Kinda sketchy. My former workplace had them, and they sounded ok, but not as good as the Pro-M's, not even close.

I don't think they were ever marketed as birch versions of pro-m's. It was clear they're 2 different lines and they only merged the line in the latest models (meridian).

They certainly were two different lines, but Mapex pegged them as in a sense 'both these are pro kits just pick your favorite sound' when that was not true. I'm not saying it was false advertising- if anything it was brilliant- but the M-birch are solid intermediate kits whereas the ProM is most certainly in the professional live kit range.

Not sure how much more things cost there, but if that is true and you can grab them for approx $500USD, thats not too bad if it is still in good condition

Got it yesterday! Awesome kit, perfect nic, let the good times roll!

Back