RIP Jon Brookes (The Charlatans)

So sad to hear. I never met him but I did get to use his studio. R.I.P

Knew of him, mainly due to him being a drummer (of course).

Never really been into the Charlatans, but they did feature in one of the funnier moments in my life a few weeks ago.

My band are good friends with a local promoter in the area who also runs a rehearsal studio. We've gone into our local live music venue for a couple of beers after rehearsal (venue has a real ale pub attached) and we've noticed there a bit of a 'to do' going on with the doormen, our promoter friend, and about a dozen people making their way out of the venue.

Asking our pal what the stramash was all about...

One of these guys had purchased a dozen tickets for the Charlatans, turned up in a mini bus with all his mates and gone in....Band starts playing, and these lads are having a laugh and a joke...one of them shouts "bring on the main act"....someone near by tells him "these are the main act you ****"

So he askes "when are the Charlatans on"....to which he receives the response "they aren't...this is a Chameleons gig".

The ding dong on the way out was these lads trying to get their money back from the venue....despite their tickets clearly (of course) stating that they were going to a Chameleons gig.

I laughed so hard at this when he told me the story that I nearly wet myself.

Very sad news, I checked the Charlatans website from time to time to follow his recovery progress, unfortunately I thought he was doing better.

RIP, and condolences and respect to his family & band mates.

Very sad news, I checked the Charlatans website from time to time to follow his recovery progress, unfortunately I thought he was doing better.

RIP, and condolences and respect to his family & band mates.

I think lots of people thought he was on the road to recovery judging by the surprise locally at this news (I'm in Manchester, UK)

Something I've been meaning to ask Duncan,Is that a Holland and Holland over and under,I assume 12 gauge?I've also heard that 20 and 16 Gauge are more popular in Europe.

Brian is and amazing and musical modern day drummer.

My list o' favorites,including Brian would be too long, but some would be, Joe Morello,Papa Jo Jones,Elvin,Jack De Jonette,Louis Bellson,Buddy,Philly Jo Jones,and Peter Erskine.

Steve B

Something I've been meaning to ask Duncan,Is that a Holland and Holland over and under,I assume 12 gauge?I've also heard that 20 and 16 Gauge are more popular in Europe.

Brian is and amazing and musical modern day drummer.

My list o' favorites,including Brian would be too long, but some would be, Joe Morello,Papa Jo Jones,Elvin,Jack De Jonette,Louis Bellson,Buddy,Philly Jo Jones,and Peter Erskine.

Steve B

Wrong thread mate, I think you meant to post in the 'Brian Blade' thread!

Real shame, loved his really relaxed style.

Put on Tellin' Stories today for the first time in ages. Still love that album, reminds me of playing back in '97 learning my craft.

Love the playing especially on the title track. Still some of my favourite fills to date, really nice song to remember him by today of all days.

RIP Jon

Met Jon at Preston, where a mate got me in to the sound check, he was a really nice guy and we talked about drums, mainly Gretsch, as he was the guy who switched me on to them from afar, he signed a lug for a drum I was rebuilding, then he asked me to sound check his kit, while he went front of house to listen.

That was/ is a massive deal to me. I was always trying to play like him, and Up To Our Hips really made an impression on me, I learnt every lick of that album.

I dont wanna sound like a major fan boy but i was genuinely gutted when I heard, we all have that one drummer that we connect with out of all of those we love, Jon was mine.

Met Jon at Preston, where a mate got me in to the sound check, he was a really nice guy and we talked about drums, mainly Gretsch, as he was the guy who switched me on to them from afar, he signed a lug for a drum I was rebuilding, then he asked me to sound check his kit, while he went front of house to listen.

That was/ is a massive deal to me. I was always trying to play like him, and Up To Our Hips really made an impression on me, I learnt every lick of that album.

I dont wanna sound like a major fan boy but i was genuinely gutted when I heard, we all have that one drummer that we connect with out of all of those we love, Jon was mine.

Agree with HMNY, just a superb tribute.

Back