Middle aged bands. How should they dress?

Depends on the band. My preference is simple black shirt green combats. Never ever been questioned in over 20 yrs of gigging. I leave the 3 piece suits to Mr C. Watts and the spandex to Tommy Lee.

Normal night gig, all black.

Festive day gig, go with Hawaiian shirts and straw hats.....maybe grass skirts

Octoberfest? lederhosen

etc

Much thread necromancy lately.

Imagine if offline conversations worked like this. Go out this evening and just floor your conversational partner with the perfect zinger to complete that good natured disagreement you had back in 2008.

@bobdadruma - so how did things work out with this band from 2009?

Much like the stage names thread, I believe that there is a purpose to this thread's resurrection. It has been brought back to life because it needs Magenta's input on the topic.

A "make over is in order?" So that's what this is all about?

Sorry, mate. That's...

Sexist?

That is not even remotely sexist, and that is not a word to be thrown around.

The truth is, she looks extremely unprofessional, and like someone that doesn't take much pride in her appearance. Simple truths. If she was a middle aged man, it would make no difference. And I come from the generation that would burn a baby for being politically incorrect.

I agree with the OP's assessment. The band could use a more professional look, in one way or another. I personally wear sweaters, cardigans, v neck t-shirts, tight enough jeans or pants, street shoes(converse, lacoste, etc.), and ray ban glasses. Sometimes, I add a scarf, or a hat, or, if I'm feeling adventurous, false earrings and makeup.

NEVER loose pants, NEVER shorts. The rules I live by. I would advise anyone to have at least a few "nevers" that may be for the individual, or the whole band. But keep those clothes in check. As was mentioned, you never know who might be in the crowd.

Whatever you do, don't try to hang on to something no longer there.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Object Lesson No. 1:

axl-rose-then-and-now.jpg

Object Lesson No. 2:

500full+%252824%2529.jpg

...and Object Lesson No. 3:

500full+%252830%2529.jpg

To paraphrase a notable scripture via The Byrds, there's a time and place for everything. The time and place for random t-shirts and jeans is rehearsal or mucking about in the garden. A gig is not the time and place for lounging-about clothes.

If you're getting paid, you're a professional. Act like it. Dress like it. I don't think showing up dressed like you're cleaning the garage is professional.

And yeah, there has been quite a lot of thread necromancy the last couple days.

4Zeah.jpg

Thanks all of you recent posters, You have the gist of what I was originally talking about.
I have moved on to new bands since then so this is not a hot topic with me at this moment.
All of the bands that I currently play with have an informal middle aged dress code :)

Dress? Here is a pick of Ricky Scaggs and the boys doing a country gig. Reeks of class.

Attachments

• Ricky Scaggs.jpg
    Ricky Scaggs.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 286
Whatever you do, don't try to hang on to something no longer there.

...and Object Lesson No. 3:

Not really fair to Grace. She hasn't performed live since 1989, because she feels that (in her words) "aging rock stars don't belong on a stage."

While she will grant interviews, and does make occasional appearances to promote her paintings, she is hardly holding on to something that isn't there.

I really wish people were this conscientious at the NAMM show. It makes me uncomfortable seeing an aging male still rockin' the thinning long hair, and the leatherpants. When I met Alan White, he was dressed his age, acted his age, and was generally a class act. I'm not sure what to think of the others that I saw ;)

Not really fair to Grace. She hasn't performed live since 1989, because she feels that (in her words) "aging rock stars don't belong on a stage."

While she will grant interviews, and does make occasional appearances to promote her paintings, she is hardly holding on to something that isn't there.

I did not know that. Thanks for telling me!

Perhaps this would be appropriate for certain venues

Attachments

• Worst Rock Outfits Ever.jpg
    Worst Rock Outfits Ever.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 266
I'm 52 & play in a punk band, so on stage wear for me is a T-shirt, jeans, & converse trainers. It goes with the style of music.
The other guys in the band are 30/31, so there's only me who fits the "middle age" bracket, & there's no way I'm wearing a shirt & tie!

I do the Steve Jobs thing- Comfortable jeans, black T-shirt. If it's a corporate thing then I wear all-black.

I will not ever put on a tux. It's not gonna happen.

I don't even own a suit...

I have 1 Blue Blazer in my closet that fits but hasn't been worn in 7 or 8 years.... I'll wear a button down collar and a tie occasionally. I have some chino's and some leather slip on shoes. But that's about as dressed up as I get.

Hello. I don't like clothes. I do, however, like wearing a dressing gown instead of a shirt. just not at work...

Who are you, Arthur Dent?

On a more serious note, I'm fogged as to the push-back against appropriate clothing. I'm an American, born and raised from working-class, organized-labor stock. Not only do I own several tailored suits, I have both a tuxedo and full formal (white tie and tails) for those situations where a tuxedo is not formal enough.

I don't get the kick-back against dressing well. It's not snobbery to wear something more dressy than a chinos and button-down-collar shirt. Discomfort I understand - after all, I own white tie and wear it. ;-) But to categorically refuse to wear anything beyond a certain point makes no logical sense.

Who are you, Arthur Dent?

But to categorically refuse to wear anything beyond a certain point makes no logical sense.

to each his own right? some people do not like, and/or do not see themselves in a tuxedo. there are others who cannot afford one anyway.
And i for one, will never wear a speedo/bikini.

to each his own right? some people do not like, and/or do not see themselves in a tuxedo. there are others who cannot afford one anyway.
And i for one, will never wear a speedo/bikini.

I'm not condemning anyone who doesn't want to wear something. I live in shorts and a t-shirt, fer crissake. ;-)

But - you saw the "but" coming, right? - at least I can point to a Speedo and say, "Nobody looks good in one of those. It's better we don't frighten the children."

What I'm saying is that makes a certain amount of logical sense. A tuxedo =/= a Speedo in terms of universal looking-good-ness. A moderately overweight bloke who makes frightened children scream when he comes out of the water wearing a Speedo can totally rock a tuxedo and look like James Bond.

From guys who proclaim how they just will not wear a suit, much less a tuxedo, I just get this strong vibe of blue-collar classism, as though wearing something professional or formal makes them a socioeconomic sellout. Like he's leaving the union and pretending to be management. It's not a matter of comfort or not liking how he looks in it, it's that it's the uniform of the enemy - or some sort of disguise - so he isn't gonna wear it, not no way not no how, except at his own wedding and his own funeral.

NB: I'm not necessarily accusing anyone in this thread of that; I'm just saying that's been my experience.

That's the difference. It's not merely preference or personal style. It's a reaction to what the more professional, more formal clothing potentially represents. I don't understand that reaction. To me, it's just clothes.

Anyway, I think we might have strayed just a hair off-topic. ;-)

Back