Buying a custom kit.....

Barquois

Following on from previous thread.

I'm looking to buy a new kit, but I have a lot of new hardware, a new snare and stuff I've bought as I've gone on so I have basically everything I want except a new bass drum, rack tom and floor (I play a 4 piece kit).

I don't want to buy superfluous stuff like stands and another snare which seem to be bundled in on kit deals.

I just want to build a kit from scratch.

The only manufacturer I know of off hand that lets you build a kit is DW and I'm not sure I can afford that.

Can I do this with other manufacturers? Or am I stuck to buying a whole new kit with stuff I don't need?

Cheers

Barquois

Following on from previous thread.

I'm looking to buy a new kit, but I have a lot of new hardware, a new snare and stuff I've bought as I've gone on so I have basically everything I want except a new bass drum, rack tom and floor (I play a 4 piece kit).

I don't want to buy superfluous stuff like stands and another snare which seem to be bundled in on kit deals.

I just want to build a kit from scratch.

The only manufacturer I know of off hand that lets you build a kit is DW and I'm not sure I can afford that.

Can I do this with other manufacturers? Or am I stuck to buying a whole new kit with stuff I don't need?

Cheers

Barquois

You have lots of options. You can check out shell packs from major companies or contact a custom builder. There are a whole slew of builders to choose from. If you want to go with a custom builder check out ghostnote.net there are a lot of builders as members there as it is a custom builders forum. drumshed.com and possibly drumsmith might be other places to look too, but I am not familiar with them.

Cheers guys,

I'm looking at a maximum £700 (GBP) as I have an old PEARL DX PROFESSIONAL that I reckon I can shift for a couple of hundred pounds. I've seen a few MERIDIAN M's around the £500 - £600 mark so I might look to get one of those.

The custom prices are WAY out of my price range (PORK PIE, ORANGE COUNTY etc).

Nick

Cheers guys,

I'm looking at a maximum £700 (GBP) as I have an old PEARL DX PROFESSIONAL that I reckon I can shift for a couple of hundred pounds. I've seen a few MERIDIAN M's around the £500 - £600 mark so I might look to get one of those.

The custom prices are WAY out of my price range (PORK PIE, ORANGE COUNTY etc).

Nick

Try Highwood Drums in the UK. A bit more money than you have budgeted, but very well worth it. The drumshells they make are fantastic and truly custom.

CLICK HERE FOR HIGHWOODS SITE

Had a quick search on drumstop.co.uk and found this just in your price range

http://www.drum-stop.co.uk/mapex_meridian_maple_5pc_drum_kit_volcanic_burst-p-2053.html

I don't have any personal experience with the Meridian series but i've played one a few times that a friend in another band owns. It sounds great and has lasted him 4 years without any major damage. Just scratches from where it's been moved around.

Also check out www.soundattak.co.uk
They have a huge selection of everything and even have things like a small Remo kit and one of the old Zildjian brass snares.
xoxo

Gareth at highwood definitely knows his stuff, and the shells he makes are the best ply shells available. Every single ply is finish quality.

Gareth at highwood definitely knows his stuff, and the shells he makes are the best ply shells available. Every single ply is finish quality.

Highwood's stuff looks very nice indeed, but their service/response is lacking. I sent them an inquiry and asked for a quote back in mid-April. I'm still waiting.

Do you mean Finnish? His standard shells are Finnish birch, according to the Web site.

Back