Premier Drums-/Add-on

P

psmith96

I currently have a 5-piece Premier Cabria drum set in an Amber lacquer finish. I'm not sure if it's maple or mahogany, but it sounds amazing. However, I want to add another drum, preferably a 7x8 tom to make it a 6-piece with 8", 10", 12" rack toms, a 14" floor tom, 20" bass drum, and a 6.5x14 snare. I just wanted to know if I should pursue getting the exact same company and model tom-tom, or if I should just look for another one. Any feedback is appreciated.

Not sure where you're located. Their US re-introduction has been less than impressive, which is disappointing because they used to (and probably still do) make excellent drums.

I'm located in New Jersey. I just wanted to know if I should make an attempt at getting the same brand 7x8 tom or if I should just buy one made by another company. Basically, will there be much sound difference is my big concern.

Could someone with more wood knowledge chime in, I'm thinking if it's a fairly thin shell they build for you, and they can match the color, you're in pretty good shape...

post a pic of your kit when you get a sec. I used to have a set of Premier Signia's and a set of Premier Genista's. Some real nice drums to say the least.

I currently have a 5-piece Premier Cabria drum set ........ I just wanted to know if I should pursue getting the exact same company and model tom-tom, or if I should just look for another one?
According to this .....​
"There are four set-ups available - a Rock 22, a Heavy Rock 22 (the review kit), a Jazz 22 and a Jazz 20. They all feature the same 14"x5½" wood snare drum. The Heavy Rock kit follows the currently popular one-up, two-down plan with a 22"x18" kick and a single 12"x9" mounted tom together with 14"x14" and 16"x16" floor toms.

The Rock 22 has the more conventional 12"x9" and 13"x10" mounted toms with a single 16"x16" floor tom. The Jazz kits both have smaller 10"x8", 12"x9" and 14"x14" toms, but the 22 has a 22"x18" bass drum while the 20 has a 20"x18".

.... they never made an 8" tom, in the Cambria line. Full article here .... http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews/drums/premier-cabria-xpk-kit-27031
Then, you might be able to figure out if you have the PK, APK, or XPK. All three have different wood shell make-ups.​

There have been 3 generations of cabria drums through the years all different to each other. It would be easier for us to identify what type of cabrias you have if you could provide a picture.
Premier drums with the cabria name on them have not been in production since 2008 i think, so it's higly unlikely that premier wil be ablevto help you.
I think your best bet is ebay, or dancingcrow.

T

After reading the article that harryconway posted, I am pretty certain that I have the XPK series and I think it's the jazz kit with a 20"x18" bass drum, 10"x8" and 12"x9" rack toms, and a 14"x14" floor tom, as well as the snare drum. It is in the amber lacquer finish. I will post some pics later today so just hang tight. And any other information regarding a smaller add-on tom is greatly appreciated.

Another thing that I would like to ask is if it's worth me keeping this kit and trying to find another smaller tom-tom to add, or if I should try to sell the kit and either buy a PDP Concept Maple 7-piece or the 7-piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit.

Before you sink the big bucks into a new kit, you might want to see if you can find an el cheapo 8" tom just to try it out.

You might be able to find a stray 8'' tom on the cheap, which could give you more of an idea about how it fits with your music and playing style. If it works you can decide on a new kit in whatever configuration you like.

Just a thought. Good luck in your search.

Barry

Back