Eat Drums...

junglelord

I put my Zebrawood stave on the Sonor Five Star...nice matching grain and gold hardware. I call the whole thing Tribal Weapon

I have the Sonor Signatures now with the Dunnett Titanium and the Spirit of 2002 and call the whole thing Heavy Metal

I'm never one to goo and gaa over sets.....but damn bro those 2 made my wee wee move.

I don't know why I didn't buy a Sonor over my DW's...serious buyers remorse sometimes, especially when I see kits like those.

Man, those are some dirty snare heads!
Yes sir, time to change up the R30 DW and Zebrawood on the Ebony kit.

Sorry to hear about the buyers remorse, but DW Sells real easy for good money.
I would get an S Classix in Stratawood.
Or a Delite in Tigerwood.

Yes sir, time to change up the R30 DW and Zebrawood on the Ebony kit.

Sorry to hear about the buyers remorse, but DW Sells real easy for good money.
I would get an S Classix in Stratawood.
Or a Delite in Tigerwood.

Oh man....it would be tempting.

what are the tom heads on the first pic? why do they look blueish....

and those drums are just......uhhhhhhhh............

those new Sonor's are very nice, specs?...
They are Designer Maple Light shells which are rock maple, 6.3 mm thickness.
3 layers of 3 ply rock maple. Ebony Inner and Outer Veener and Gold Hardware.
8X8, 10X8, 12X9 Toms
14x14, 16x16 Floor Toms
14X5 Snare
22x18.5 Bass Drum
Derek Roddy said the five star ebony kit he played was the best sounding drum kit he ever played.
He did not know if it was the kit as he only played one or if that would be true of the entire 25 kits.
I can compare it to my Signature kit and its not the same...is it better? I am not sure.

what are the tom heads on the first pic? why do they look blueish....
and those drums are just......uhhhhhhhh............
Attack Heads 2 ply medium clear with tone ridge.
Dark, punchy sound without dampening the natural sound of the head. They are so resonate and not like any other 2 ply.
http://www.universalpercussion.com/attackabout.html
http://www.vintagedrum.com/category/drum-heads-all/brand/Attack
I got the Ebony kit that way from Steve Smith and Thomas Lang clinics.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32826
I was so floored by the heads that it started some comparisons over at the Sonor Forum and these Attack DrumHeads are incredible was the constant response.

Seriously cool! do you have a preffered kit?
I do not prefer one kit over the other, except the fact the Signature kit is bigger....and has an 18X18 inch floor tom on its way...pics to soon follow. What I did like was the exchanging of second snares, the Zebrawood in place of the Dunnett Ti...and the Ti in place of a Canopus Zelkova.

The Canopus Zelkova is taking a break on the shelf...I think its sad. I will use it for rudiment training. Its one wicked snare on its own.

My DW R30 and the Spirit of 2002 are the two main snares for good on each kit. I think the new second snare lineup is the prefered choice sonicly and estheticly. I am one lucky soul and I want everyone to think about buying top quality Sonor. For the money the S Class Pro and the S Classix are the best deal on the planet. You have been enlightened.

Last edited:
Beautiful gear ya have there. How would you describe the sound of zebrawood? I have a full bubinga stave kit but am interested in zebrawood for a DIY project.

Zebrawood has a high silica content. Its very much like my R30 snare to tell you the truth which is a mixture of brass and maple. I would say a zebrawood kit would be incredible as it seems to sound like both metal and wood. Excellent stave drum for sure.

The sonors are very impressive, and very formidable looking. Zebrawood at 1575 on the janka scale is pretty dense. It looks as powerful as it must sound.

I gave the 3003 SE to my son. I kept the Starman Reso from this kit for my Signature kit.

Zebrawood Stave by SMD drums

Spirit of 2002 6.5X14

A man has to set priorities.
:D

Last edited:
It just doesn't get any better than this...

Junglelord - I know I say this every time, but BEAUTIFUL kit.

Nothing beats Designers!

I keep coming back to look at these.....It's not often my wee wee moves......So.....

If anyone doesn't think that these kits are gorgeous must be insane, and frankly need some mental help.....well you know what I mean.

Thanks for the super kind words everyone, I am humbled.
I have an 18x18 inch Signature coming in soon.
I will post pics of it on the kit as soon as I get it home.
Its in the states being taken care of with love and a big gun....LOL.
I present pictures of the drum that will be in transit... May it make that trip safely and secure. Come to Papa.

Conan and my granddaughter Kylie tripping the light fantastic.

Packed my first drum EVER!
I used my Canopus Zelkova box for the Dunnett Ti.
Its ready to weigh and insure and ship.
:cry:

Maybe this will cheer me up till the floor tom comes.

Drum Refinishing may save taxes....

Now the shelfs are empty of expensive snares and the Canopus Zelkova is retuned and back on the Signature kit

Waiting for the 18X18 Signature floor tom. Then to have the Phonic floor tom recovered in and out with Bubinga. Then I will put the 18x18 floor tom in a gong drum position...then the Signature kit is done. One serious piece of rock.

I put my Zebrawood stave on the Five Star...nice matching grain and gold hardware. I call the whole thing Tribal Weapon

I had the Titanium with the Spirit of 2002 and called the whole thing Heavy Metal. I will get another Ti. I like them A LOT.

Back