They're ordered !!

KONA

Silver Member
It will be a while before I see these drums but the most important step has been taken:
I ordered a Gretsch Custom USA shellpack (3 drums) today. I already have a NEW 125 anniversary snare drum (4.5x14) thanks mostly to Harry Conway here. So I completed the picture by ordering these:
1418 bd/ 0812 rack & 1414 floor..all in Champagne Sparkle Nitron.
I've been oogling the "bebop" Jazz sizes (18/12/14 & 4" snare) for a long time and this just came together today quite by accident really.
My first choice though was to buy a RAYA shellpack but the only way I could do that would be to sell my Valjes. That just was not coming together.......I've been trying off & on for two years....nothing concrete there.

In the meantime I put a few snare drums on the block (My non-Gretsch stash). It wasn't looking good - I don't do eBay (selling). I had a few offers but not anywhere close to what I wanted.
I asked my local music store drum manager if he would buy four of the drums back.....ones I bought at the store over the past 4 years. I was half kidding thinking no way he would actually do that. But, he said sure.....& gave me a good deal - more than what I was asking on Kijiji & CL & no bartering &/or shipping!
I was able to use that for an in-store credit on the CS Gretsch = perfect.

It will have a bit of a wait but it's well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

They're going to sound sweet, congratulations. I love playing their USA Custom series. Last year when I was talking with John Good of DW, he had nothing but praise for the Gretsch USA Custom drums.

We really do need pictures when everything's set up.

Dennis

Yes - Dennis....I will have a photo op shortly after they arrive I'm sure & I will post some here. In the meantime.......this is the little gem that started it all.

125yr Anniversary snare drum - 4.5x14 - in Champagne Sparkle and paper tag signed by Mr. Fred Gresch.

A note: This drum was bought in a Guitar Center in Indiana and was most likely used as a demo for a few years (on display) because the 125yr collector's head was missing and this used one came with the drum. Also....the Butt End of the lightening throwoff is bent and stripped somewhat (this was not disclosed upon purchase). I called the store two or three times and sent emails. I got one reply but nothing with an explanation of why the throw was broken/wore out. I didn't even get an offer of recompense.

The good new is Gretsch immediately came to my rescue - I mean immediately - and sent me a new 125yr Anniversary head that was left over at the Factory - I got it this week - & they sent an email telling me "not to buy a new one" that they've put one in the mail for me.

I'm pretty impressed with that! Actually that is part of the reason I had absolutely no hesitation buying the shellpack today.....I say "part of the reason" there are many other reasons - this service is second to none.

Attachments

• 3aa (Custom).JPG
    3aa (Custom).JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0495 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0495 (Custom).JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 922
Simply stunning. Enjoy your wonderful new drums.

Great sizes. I have been thinking of getting a new shell set, 12x9, 14x14 and 20x14 kick. Am thinking of choosing spotted gum.

I really appreciate the great choice you've made.

wy - thanks.
The drum sizes you've chosen go well together too.
Spotted Gum .......that's a Eucalyptus from Australia right?
My 58 Gretsch drum shells have an inner wood that is a Gum but a different Genus species altogether than what you're talking about. Mine is American Sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) sp??

Is Spotted Gum a popular drum wood too? I like the name - It sounds good.

Simply stunning. Enjoy your wonderful new drums.

Great sizes. I have been thinking of getting a new shell set, 12x9, 14x14 and 20x14 kick. Am thinking of choosing spotted gum.

I really appreciate the great choice you've made.

I am way jealous but extremely happy for you. Envy would be better. Can't wait for the photos. Congrats

Well Gruntersdad.....I'm envious of your Gretsch girlfriend with the White Falcon there.

It's going to take a while to get these drums I think. Gretsch only makes a few kits per week and I'm at the bottom of the list pretty well. It's even worse in Canada because my order will have to go to the Gretsch Reps. desk and then forwarded on from there. I didn't even get an estimate of the turn-around time. I don't think it's even been processed from Canada yet. I'm okay with all that.......I've been there......it's part of the fun (if I don't die in the meantime) - the waiting. It keeps me young....I feel like a kid at Christmas lol.

An interesting thing about the snare drums I sold to the local drum shop yesterday: It was only a few minutes after I sold the drums there and left the store before someone came in and bought one of the drums.........the Pearl Morgan Rose Signature. It's a nice drum....stainless steel....nice dark green shell....loud - if you want - & responsive. I'll miss those Glo-In-The-Dark aliens!

Back