I must be a sesquipedalian

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I finally got myself some paiste cymbals (with a used kit) and they sounded kinda bad until I got used to them after a few mins of playing. I've never been a big paiste fan but now I see why.. The tones of the b8 metal just clash with zildjian and the like. B20 and b8 have different sounds and don't blend well.

I went for a walk down by the river to excogitate this and I figured you would like to read a big paragraph of my unparagoned thoughts.

Maybe I should have been playing paiste all these years. We all shuld.

Critical-and-Reflective-Thinking1a.jpg

I have felt for a long time that B20 and B8 cymbals do not blend very well, especially crashes. Peace and goodwill.

I've got two rides on a kit - one B20 and one B8.

It's only for home use. I would never use them together if playing out.
In that case, it would be B20 only.
Staying with either one is fine, but switching from one to the other certainly clashes.

The B8 stuff I've had, regardless of price, is more focused and cold.
The B20 is more diffuse and (usually) warmer.

You are so right, Tape. I'm in such admiration of your knowledge and skills. Please tell us of your newest drum kit procurement and please start many threads showing it off. I can get enough of your stories.

thanks

I don't have much time to read your whole reply and I already know pretty much everything but thanks.

I'll compliment your drums when you make a thread (because I'm nice).

;)

Interesting perspectives.

I mix B8, B15 and B20 all the time. Maybe that's why no one likes my drumming? Hmmm.

I commonly mix 2002's and Twenties all the time with no clashing at all. Partly it's due to the size of each of the cymbals that helps them work together (bigger 2002's, smaller Twenties). Steve Jordan mixes Traditionals and Dark Energies (B15), 2002's (B8), and Masters (B20), and his cymbals sound great together.

What are you talking about now, Duck? You must be cat lovers because you're so finicky. Maybe your ears are defective. Ever thought about that?

Which Paistes did you get? I have the pst8's and it took awhile but i like the ride... ok with the crash.. hate the hats.. too bright for me..

I find Paiste B8 alloy hats never blend with anything but other B8 alloy cymbals. I always have B20 hats. I've heard though some RUDE hihats can surprise.
Paiste B8 alloy crashes are truly exceptional - but you can't mix them in with trashy crashy kinda B20's. Oil and water. B8 GB's are very dark I like them along with the Sabian HH or Zil K, but again, beware the glassy sound.

I've come to the conclusion if you prefer trashy over shimmer and glassy, don't ever buy Paiste's.

Paiste's complexity isn't complex enough for me. The complexities it does have seem very close field that wouldn't be appreciated by anyone but the drummer. It's easy to tap into the complexity of a B-20 cymbal by the way you strike it. I greatly prefer the "less than perfect" sounds and overtones you get from a great B-20 cymbal. "Perfect" controlled sounds are very boring to the human ear IMO.

Paistes are much more "perfect" sounding than most other cymbals out there. I don't feel they have the level of complex overtones... that carry...like a nice B-20 cymbal does. They are like the gorgeous woman who is stupid as dirt.

They do excel in certain situations for sure, I do like hearing others use them. Some of Bonham's crash sounds are among my all time favorites. I myself wouldn't gig them though.

I find Paiste B8 alloy hats never blend with anything but other B8 alloy cymbals. I always have B20 hats. I've heard though some RUDE hihats can surprise.
Paiste B8 alloy crashes are truly exceptional - but you can't mix them in with trashy crashy kinda B20's. Oil and water. B8 GB's are very dark I like them along with the Sabian HH or Zil K, but again, beware the glassy sound.

I've come to the conclusion if you prefer trashy over shimmer and glassy, don't ever buy Paiste's.

Not really the case...I have a 20" Twenty prototype crash, a 20" Masters Dark ride, and a 20" Traditionals Light Ride, all of which I use as crashes, and they are all quite trashy and complex, especially the Masters Dark Ride.

They are like the gorgeous woman who is stupid as dirt. They do excel in certain situations for sure, I do like hearing others use them.

Just quoting directly, out of mischief.

And of course, because I mostly agree with you.

I use a 2oo2 ride with K Custom Hybrid crashes often.
I've had my 2oo2 ride since the late 70's.
Its an awesome cymbal.

Not really the case...I have a 20" Twenty prototype crash, a 20" Masters Dark ride, and a 20" Traditionals Light Ride, all of which I use as crashes, and they are all quite trashy and complex, especially the Masters Dark Ride.

Yes you're correct I didn't think of that line at all. I did have Twenty (original line) crashes and though B20 alloy still had that glassy sound. They were great unique sounding cymbals though.

I use a 2oo2 ride with K Custom Hybrid crashes often.
I've had my 2oo2 ride since the late 70's.
Its an awesome cymbal.

But Bob, it's been established that Paistes don't go with B-20.

You could be fined.

You really need to step away from the Paiste.

:p

Both the Masters and 602 lines, as well as the discontinued Twenty line, are B20 cymbals.

Back