How do you cue your live tempos at the gig?

feldiefeld

Hey - I figure some of you may have a method that you like. I have tried lots of ways to do this but I am not happy with any of them so far.

The issue: how do you cue your tempos in a live situation? Sounds simple, but the execution is all in the details and that is where it gets tricky.

I've been using the Tama Rhythm watch and programming in the set list tempo by tempo. It seems somewhat onerous to do it this way and I also would like a more seamless way to hear the tempo without bending over and hitting the button and listening.....I've tried headphones but I hate wearing headphones when I play live.....

all the details of how any of you successfully do this on the gig are welcome.

I think it looks lame if the audience sees you doing the cueing....at least on a bigger rock show it breaks down that "third wall."

Thanks for your input.
MF

Usually helps to know the song, and then count it off.

If you don't know the song, then let the guitarist start playing the tune and show yourself in. That's what I do. It's 99% effective. That other 1% is for when the guitarist doesn't know their own song. It happens.

Here's the be-all-end-all on tempo: If the singer can sing it comfortably or the soloist perform it well, then it's in the "OK range". Doesn't matter if you're doing it ±20bpm (or more) than the original. You're performing the song therefore it's your creative license so enjoy that part of it.

Bill's advice is sound - I've done that a lot, or the guitarist starts it and we're off. One thing I'd like to add to that, and Bermuda was reminding me of this a couple of days ago, if you do start off your songs, where the correct tempo is will always feel slower than where you're feeling it at. So take a breath, relax, then count off a little under where you think you'd normally kick the tune, and you should be good.

Of course, if you have a metronome and want to do it that way, then you'll always be starting correctly. But like Bill says, if you know the song, and everyone is comfortable, and especially if people are still dancing, you're golden!

Not to be rude, but the answer is simple: be a good band. Know the songs, know each other as players. All the gadgetry of today is only covering for corner-cutting musicians and the massively uptight. The person with the strongest inner time counting it off should be enough. Light head bobs to go along are a good visual aid. I think it's important for a band to be able to play any given piece of music slightly slower or faster, depending on what the situation calls for, so everyone actually listening to the guy counting off is very important. A lot of musicians hear 1-2-3-4 as a countdown to note one, and forget it's also an indication of tempo.

Here is how I do it if I'm not familiar with the tunes.
I write down the BPM of each tune. Then I find tunes that I know really well at the same BPM as the list.
I think of the tune I know and then instantly I have the BPM in my head and I can count it off.

Example: The song I need to count off is at 128 BPM.
I think of "Taxman" by the Beatles, BAM! Instantly I have 128 BPM in my head. I can count in what ever tune it is at exactly 128 BPM.

This was discussed recently in another thread.

Hey - I've been using the Tama Rhythm watch and programming in the set list tempo by tempo. It seems somewhat onerous to do it this way and I also would like a more seamless way to hear the tempo without bending over and hitting the button and listening.

By the way I have tried programming a digital metronome with each song in order.
But it seemed that the band leader was always changing the order of the songs on the fly, live on stage.

So now all I have to do is look at my alphabetical song list, find the song, then I see the corresponding song (that I know well), and count off the song.
It takes me about 1.5 seconds to do this for any song.

But I still start out with the set list in order of the way we are supposed to play the songs.

Here's the be-all-end-all on tempo: If the singer can sing it comfortably or the soloist perform it well, then it's in the "OK range". Doesn't matter if you're doing it ±20bpm (or more) than the original. You're performing the song therefore it's your creative license so enjoy that part of it.

Amen brother. Lots of times musicians I play with complain if it's ANY slower or faster than it's "supposed" to be. I think every night is different, every time you play a song is different. If you started the song at a certain tempo, then it's right for that night. Unless as you said, it's NOT in the OK range.

Here is how I do it if I'm not familiar with the tunes.
I write down the BPM of each tune. Then I find tunes that I know really well at the same BPM as the list.
I think of the tune I know and then instantly I have the BPM in my head and I can count it off.

Example: The song I need to count off is at 128 BPM.
I think of "Taxman" by the Beatles, BAM! Instantly I have 128 BPM in my head. I can count in what ever tune it is at exactly 128 BPM.

This was discussed recently in another thread.

I use "I will survive" as a reference to 120bpm. Funny story- I got pulled over once by a cop who said "You didn't stop long enough at that stop sign". So I asked him "I know I came to a complete stop, how long was I supposed to wait? He said "Five beats."

So then I asked him "At what tempo were these five beats, because now you're on MY turf. Can you tell me what 120bpm is?"

He: "Well, no, I can't."

Me: "(sings line from "I Will Survive") Go.. On. Now. GO..."

He: "Have a good night, Mr. Ray."

By the way I have tried programming a digital metronome with each song in order.
But it seemed that the band leader was always changing the order of the songs on the fly, live on stage.

So now all I have to do is look at my alphabetical song list, find the song, then I see the corresponding song (that I know well), and count off the song.
It takes me about 1.5 seconds to do this for any song.

But I still start out with the set list in order of the way we are supposed to play the songs.

My method is a bit like this, but I use a small cheap metronome with a dial for tempos every 4-6 BPM so it's easy to set quickly at any tempo. It also has a flashing light on it so I have a quick visual indication of tempo at any time - when counting off, or checking tempo later in the song.

I mark the BPMs on the setlist, no programming.

The mental list of 'reference' songs is also a great method. Thanks Bill, I will add 'I will survive' to my mental list! (Back in Black = 92, Message In a Bottle = 152, etc)

My method is a bit like this, but I use a small cheap metronome with a dial for tempos every 4-6 BPM so it's easy to set quickly at any tempo. It also has a flashing light on it so I have a quick visual indication of tempo at any time - when counting off, or checking tempo later in the song.

I mark the BPMs on the setlist, no programming.

This is what I do, too. When preparing to do a new song I simply go to the original recording and note the BPM, and write it on my song list. I use the metronome to count off the song, but never look at it during the song . If the band wants it faster or slower I simply adjust the tempo reference number. Simple, fast, unobtrusive.

GeeDeeEmm

one of my buddy's uses Tempo w/ a setlist and then sound off w/ flash to screen. i am using Polynome w/ a setlist, sound off & flash to screen. i am not 100% loving this because i am really used that familiar "click, click" sound but it's working OK. i went w/ sound off as i don't want the metronome sound clicking. i don't have in-ears yet so, earbuds & headphones have been a PITA so far. touching the click on & off is problematic as i am playing. but may just take more practice?

like the guys said, most of it is memorization, but i like the click crutch on new tunes...or tunes w/ very specific or slow tempos.

my current theory is that setlist, sound off & flash to screen w/ the http://store.airturn.com/airturn-tap/ for on / off could work.

Crutches. All you guys use crutches. WADR, what happened to knowing the feel of the song? Not a popular angle but I feel a drummer shouldn't need ANYTHING to show them what speed the song should be. It's a major part of the job, completely knowing how a song should feel. If I had to look to an electronic device to clue me into the speed of a song I'm supposed to know....well I wouldn't do that. I feel that I should know my material well enough to not need anything like that. Sorry but I feel that needing a wet nurse to show me the tempo is lame. I feel I should KNOW the tempos better than anyone and without any help.

This rant doesn't apply to a drummer who has to sequence stuff, play to backing tracks, or if others have a click. That's completely necessary then.

Crutches. All you guys use crutches. WADR, what happened to knowing the feel of the song? Not a popular angle but I feel a drummer shouldn't need ANYTHING to show them what speed the song should be. It's a major part of the job, completely knowing how a song should feel. If I had to look to an electronic device to clue me into the speed of a song I'm supposed to know....well I wouldn't do that. I feel that I should know my material well enough to not need anything like that. Sorry but I feel that needing a wet nurse to show me the tempo is lame. I feel I should KNOW the tempos better than anyone and without any help.

This rant doesn't apply to a drummer who has to sequence stuff, play to backing tracks, or if others have a click. That's completely necessary then.

This. YOU, the drummer, should know the tunes. Period. Don't rely upon a device to guide you from point A to point B... that's what escalators and powered walkways do! Walk on your own two feet on your own steam regarding tempo. Hear the tune in your head and play to it. That's what we call "radar".

I sort of "hum the chorus" in my head and then count it off. I have never gotten any complaints. Peace and goodwill.

usually on jazz gigs, the band leader (or conductor if you have one) counts everyone in.

Since I've been playing, there have only been a handful of times that I had to count anything in. Those few times were working with singers who couldn't read music, and needed some handholding.

Depends on the energy of the show.

If it's cooking, I find what works is mentally reciting a couple bars the adrenaline puts in my head and then consciously pulling it back a few bpm before i count off. I know if I don't do this, I will get evil stares from whoever is singing that track.

For the songs that start with only guitars, I let them sort of wander for a bit and then I try to square up with whatever they're feeling.

Back