Are you familiar with Jammin Sam's drum wraps?

StreetPunk2jazz

My question is, to everyone out there, how familiar are you with Jammin Sam's? How do you think/know about how well their drum wraps hold up? Their website is www.jaminsam.com . I'm looking to wrap my kit, a Plum Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute in 18x20 bass, 14x14 floor tom, and an 8x10 tom. My dream since I began drumming 20 years ago, was to own a vintage marine white pearl kit. I figure since I love how great my kit sounds, there is no meet to save forever to get a kit with that wrap from the factory when I can just wrap my kit as is. Does wrapping a kit effect the sound of projection of the drums? How long does it usually take to do the whole kit? Do you have any other companies you would suggest? I've obviously never done this before. Thanks!

Can't comment on Jammin Sams, but Bum Drum Wraps are ridiculously easy to apply, no gluing, even an idiot like me can do it! A wrap will not affect the sound of your drums. This is part of an 80s Ludwig 6 ply kit I'm rewrapping. ..

Attachments

• 2015-03-15 20.35.20.jpg
    2015-03-15 20.35.20.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 3,169
That's not really answering the question, though, is it? Bum Wrap's wraps are fundamentally different from Jammin' Sam's, which are "actual" drum wrap.

I too am curious about people's experiences with Jammin' Sam's wraps.

I've used Jammin' Sams extensively for wrap, before ST drums in Germany came along.

Most of it is the premium Delmar wrap as fitted as standard by just about every manufacturer out there.

Some, like the JS sparkles, are I think made by the same supplier who provides ST with their Taiwanese wrap, they certainly look very similar.

Great product and great service, especially as I'm in the UK. As stated ST carry the same range and are as good, but are in Germany so postage will be an issue (that's the reason I use ST, postage is far less for me and no customs dramas).

How long it takes depends on how confident you are with the material and how much prep work there is to do on the shells, but it's not a huge job. The BD wrap would come in 2 pieces because of the size, a smaller piece for the bottom of the drum as you look at it set up and a larger piece for the top. I can re-wrap a couple of drums in an evening.

Just be aware that if you re-wrap a lacquer finish you will increase the diameter of the drum a little, but it shouldn't make much difference on a pearl finish. Glitters are significantly thicker and it can make a difference. If you've got a nice lacquer I'd strongly recommend using tape rather than glue as it's much easier to take off if you want to go back to the lacquer. Jammin Sams are advocates of tape anyway and have online tutorials of how to use it correctly.

I've used Jammin' Sams extensively for wrap, before ST drums in Germany came along.

Most of it is the premium Delmar wrap as fitted as standard by just about every manufacturer out there.

Some, like the JS sparkles, are I think made by the same supplier who provides ST with their Taiwanese wrap, they certainly look very similar.

Great product and great service, especially as I'm in the UK. As stated ST carry the same range and are as good, but are in Germany so postage will be an issue (that's the reason I use ST, postage is far less for me and no customs dramas).

How long it takes depends on how confident you are with the material and how much prep work there is to do on the shells, but it's not a huge job. The BD wrap would come in 2 pieces because of the size, a smaller piece for the bottom of the drum as you look at it set up and a larger piece for the top. I can re-wrap a couple of drums in an evening.

Just be aware that if you re-wrap a lacquer finish you will increase the diameter of the drum a little, but it shouldn't make much difference on a pearl finish. Glitters are significantly thicker and it can make a difference. If you've got a nice lacquer I'd strongly recommend using tape rather than glue as it's much easier to take off if you want to go back to the lacquer. Jammin Sams are advocates of tape anyway and have online tutorials of how to use it correctly.

All of this info is spot on. I used Jammin' Sam when I wanted to make a matching 18" floor tom for my PDP kit and that size is not available. Easy instructions, good prices, quality wraps.

Read carefully about the WMP you choose. There are different ones as far as I remember.

I had a guy rehab an old Slingerland kit using Jammin Sam sparkle wrap. Good stuff, holding up well.

Before and after pictures. Kind of wish I did broken glass instead, a bit more pricy. Oh well, they still look great to me.

Attachments

• slingerlandold2.jpg
    slingerlandold2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1,209
  • spirit3SMALL.jpg
    spirit3SMALL.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,199
That's not really answering the question, though, is it? Bum Wrap's wraps are fundamentally different from Jammin' Sam's, which are "actual" drum wrap.

I too am curious about people's experiences with Jammin' Sam's wraps.

If you read his entire post, he asked if anyone could recommend any other companies. Thanks for your valuable insight.

Do you have any other companies you would suggest? I've obviously never done this before. Thanks!

Indeed he did.

I used Jammin Sam's on some Mapex drums that did not match, and it looks good and has held up great. Peace and goodwill.

He is actually right here in the valley so he is local to me. I haven't exchanged money with him yet but I spoke to him at length on the phone. Very helpful and answered all my questions.

From what I hear, he likes to push the tape method of wrapping drums. I have read mixed reviews about how well this works. When I actually get my wrap I'm just going to pay a local guy to glue it for me.

His JS wraps are actually made by Delmar, not as large of flake pattern as the pricy stuff but the price is great.

All of this info is spot on. I used Jammin' Sam when I wanted to make a matching 18" floor tom for my PDP kit and that size is not available. Easy instructions, good prices, quality wraps.

Read carefully about the WMP you choose. There are different ones as far as I remember.

Regarding your making a matching 18" floor tom for your PDP kit, I have a very, very early PDP CX-series that I've always wanted to add an 18" FT to. Can you give information or how you made yours?

GeeDeeEmm

I just re wrapped a tom using the Jammin Sam's custom cut wrap. It matched my Ludwig silver sparkle kit perfectly and appears to be the same Del Mar material. I had mine pre-cut with the end tape installed by them. No trouble at all and it looks great. A little spendy but I would recommend them.

Regarding your making a matching 18" floor tom for your PDP kit, I have a very, very early PDP CX-series that I've always wanted to add an 18" FT to. Can you give information or how you made yours?

GeeDeeEmm

The build is pretty easy. Order an 18" Keller shell with edges from one of the many authorized dealers. Measure one of your CX shells for edge to center and center to center lug pattern. Measure the circumference of the new drum and divide by eight lugs. Then lay out the lug pattern and drill. The hard part, and more expensive, is getting your hands on matching lugs. Then of course hoops, rods, legs and the matching wrap. I just did my third build to make matches of my DW and Keller shells are fantastic. I ordered from Billy Blast and he cut the edges himself.

Oh yeah, the topic. Precision Drum has all the same Delmar wraps as Jammin Sam. They recommend the same glue method as most drum companies use and have step by step instructions. There are a couple other Delmar wrap dealers, Google Delmar wrap, that may have better pricing or shipping in your location. Then there are a few other wrap manufacturers, but honestly their quality is not as high.

I can identify with the OP...I'm a sucker for WMP. I re-wrapped my mismatched gig kit with Jammin' Sam's White Pearl Special (bass drum is Premier, toms are all Pearl Masters, but various ages):

image.jpg1_zpsjuq6elqx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here they are "under the lights" at a gig:

image.jpg2_zpspe8ltpz1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back