looking for L.A. drum lessons

Ethan01

Hi guys, I will be in l.a. for 2 weeks, and am looking to meet with a pro-level drum teacher for 1 or 2 sessions. I haven't been in the L.A. scene in a while, so please refer me some names and phone #s, thanks!

What kind of stuff do you want to work on?

I teach. Either jazz-related stuff, foundation, or just evaluating and finding how to improve places that may need it, etc. You will not learn the hottest blast beat or newest church lick.

I'm downtown (where all the cool kids are)

I'm in a rock band, but play traditional with a jazz setup (not jazz kit). I only require 100% brutal honesty, and my dream drum gig is being the next Max Weinberg =P

If you're looking into jazz, I'd recommend Randy Drake. He may not be the most high-profile guy, but he's cool and funny, and moderately cheap ($100 for a 1 1/2 hour lesson). I took with him for quite a while, very fun time. Played with Bill Watrous, Shelly Berg, etc. for a while, now teaches at Cal State Long Beach. Idk where you're located exactly, but he would be more north-LA. I'm living in Bakersfield, so that worked well for me. He's a pro.

http://www.csulb.edu/~music/percussion/randy_drake.html

Back