Rototom Mounting Scheme

jonoori

Tool%20-%20Danny%20Carey.jpg

Would someone be so kind as to walk me through what mounts and hardware is being used to mount Danny's rotos in this photo?

I'd really like to move back to a two-up, one-down setup and the kit I play is a 3 piece shell kit in a sparkle finish. The drums are no longer available in that finish, so buying another drum in that finish isn't an option. I'm considering using some rotos as rack toms for one of the bands I play with (already have a 12", gonna pick up a 10" too). The music we play could benefit from their unique sound when tuned low and I love the attack when they're tuned properly and have good heads on them.

The 12" is on a RIMS mount at the moment and have been told it's the best solution, but, I'm not in love with the look of the spike coming out of the bottom.. it's also not conducive to low, flat mounting.. which is a perk i want to take advantage of. I want to be able to have the two very low and flat over my bass drum. I live in New York City, don't have a saw and really don't want to cut the spike smaller. Anyone know the gauge of the spike? Or have a better solution?

Here's the image. Not sure why it didn't work before: http://www.alancross.ca/storage/Tool - Danny Carey.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1337910612236

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell but when I mounted a single roto tom on my kit I just used a percussion mount for holding the L rod a cow bell or jam block would mount to and used it to hold the center bolt of the roto tom.

$T2eC16F,!%29QE9s3HCob6BQVj9rpM2Q~~60_35.JPG

I used this one to hold it, remove the L arm and clamp it to the bolt:
gigsc4425d1.jpg

One of these would work to:
$%28KGrHqZHJE8FBzzO6nSUBQiwdPQZm!~~60_35.JPG

Back