Update on my Tama Starclassic kit

So recently i posted a "please help identify" thread. It was this kit right here.

So i got a few mixed responses on whether it is birch/bubinga, a Performer series, etc. I then contacted Tama themselves via Twitter because they follow me (cause im cool) lol and i sent them photos with my question via email. They responded that this is an ALL birch kit circa 2002-2006 made in Japan. Somewhere in that time frame.

So is this technically better then the current comparable model? worse? same? matter of preference? Let me know what you Tama pros think.

Thanks

Attachments

• tama 1 (1024x765).jpg
    tama 1 (1024x765).jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 2,217
you'd be able to tell if its bubinga/birch by the inside ply wood colour... if its red its bubinga, obviously its not, they didnt have bubinga kits in production back then (also the colour of the tama logo on the front head is a dead give away)

there is nothing wrong with birch... its a fantastic wood used in MANY high end drums. the way i describe birch is a bit more of a naturally eq'd maple...

i think its totally a matter of preference... but looking at the price that looks like a steal for a fantastic drum kit, that'll get you through most likely any situation.

Take this for what it's worth, or even if it's true or not (some more educated fold here would know, I'm looking your way KIS) I bought a kit from a custom maker, and we shot the shit a couple of times before our deal was finished. He told me that bubinga is a very porous wood, and that bubinga drums are 60% wood, and 40% plastic filler, which is one of the reasons that they are so heavy. Now I don't know if that's a difference between ply and stave, ply being so much thinner than stave, therefore needing to be filled, or what.

What I do know, is that birch makes a fantastic kit. If your starclassic is anything like my recording custom, you have a killer kit.

He told me that bubinga is a very porous wood, and that bubinga drums are 60% wood, and 40% plastic filler
While finishes can vary greatly in thickness, and woods vary in porosity, this is so exaggerated as to be nonsense.

Solid birch is good. The original Superstars were birch, Yamaha Recording Customs are birch, Tama's Granstars were birch. Those will probably sound killer, especially having been aged a bit already.

Picking these up today. I am really excited. Only thing that scares me is that this color is called diamond dust and if you look at other diamond dust Tama's they are more on the silverish side. This to me is on the goldish side. I hope the finish isnt yellowing because of the age.

Picking these up today. I am really excited. Only thing that scares me is that this color is called diamond dust and if you look at other diamond dust Tama's they are more on the silverish side. This to me is on the goldish side. I hope the finish isnt yellowing because of the age.

I would not be too put off by that. You can restore it or have it re-wraped if needed. I think you are getting an excellent deal. I bet they will sound killer!

They do sound killer. When i tested them at the store i was just blown away. Especially the sound of the 18" floor tom. Holy shit. The decay never stopped

That is the last version of the Tama Performer birch drums. You can tell because of the chrome starcast mounts. Best sounding drums I ever owned and would love to have another set. (Unless they happen to be birch/bubinga)

Bo,

You know I love Sonors but actually started a Tama player. I would jump on that kit in a heart beat! For playing live I just LOVE birch.

Manny

I love the Sonors as well but never really left the Tama's. I guess I am sorta brand loyal in a big roundabout way since my first kit after the parental influence on what they'd buy for me was a Tama ;)

One day I may treat myself to some Prolites, or SQ2's....

Congrats - that's a really nice kit. Just wondering if you can haggle with price with Guitar Center used stuff? I never tried.

I'm sure you'll love those drums. Great find. Tama makes great stuff.

Larry, I don't think you can haggle at all on the used stuff at GC. Or at least is isn't that common. I know for certain that you can't use any kind of coupon on purchasing used stuff there. They have their margin worked out, and they don't plan on moving on that.

Congrats - that's a really nice kit. Just wondering if you can haggle with price with Guitar Center used stuff? I never tried.

Actually, the kit is at a local music store called Alto Music. There are 3 in the the whole tri-state area. Been around for years. Very very reputable music store.

The kit has been there for over a year and i know that because i go there about once every two weeks. Every day it just kept growing and growing on me. Told the guy il take it off there hands for $800. He said ok without a haggle. Very happy day for me

Here it is all set up. Still couldnt get the rack toms to sit where i want them. Never used a tom stand before. Also left out some cymbals so you can see it better.
PS kit is not yellowed at all.

Attachments

• my tama small.jpg
    my tama small.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 3,120
Nice! Is that a Tama bass drum mount on the bass drum? Maybe you should find a tom holder for it, see if you're a traditional tom mount kinda guy, eh? But yeah, get those toms positioned and it'll be stylin'!

Frickin deal! I'm sure they sound insane, I know mine did. My toms were much more shallow too.

Back