so, yesterday i was practicing my jazz, the weekly exercises that
my drum teacher gave, i was able to swing them at 190 bpm, my ride
pattern was clean and almost effortless, i thought man practice does make
perfect,

but today! i am having inconsistencies at 180 bpm, and cant even do the
exercises clean at 190 bpm?????

please tell me this has happened to you guys before and yesterday
was more than miracle.

"You're not really as good as you best days....and not really as bad as your worst days"
Tommy Igoe

Relax and enjoy drumming. Like its already been said, it happens to all of us.
When that happens try to slow things down or just play to some records. Don't force the issue. When that happens to me I just put the sticks down and walk away and do something else, and try again later. There is no use in getting fustrated. Some days you have it some days you don't, thats life my friend.

Constantly attaching numbers to your drumming is a surefire way to get frustrated and burn out.

I'm a weightlifter. Some days I'm just in the zone. I benched 375 one day and honestly it wasn't as hard as I thought it would have been. A month later and I haven't gotten above 335. It just happens. Then one day 295 was a struggle, and a little while later I was back up into the normal area. It's just a matter of how you're feeling on a given day.

Performance fluctuation. This happens in just about all human endeavors. Don't sweat it. Keep practicing. But most of all, enjoy playing the drums.

GJS

Maybe you need to clean up your hard disk. Or perhaps you've blown a couple of ICs and you need a new lithium battery. Change up the cables.

It happens all the time, especially when working on speed. Take a break from that particular exercise for a day or two, and don't stress too much about it. It will come back to you after a while.

thanks guys, i actually have attributed it to being sore that day from the day before,
i just want to be able swing with the big guys already!! im so close!! i came along way from 80 bpm swinging to now, and i want these last 30 to 40 bpm to happen over night but i know they wont

cant wat to be able to play the jazz i want to to play, i have the skill to play them
i just dont have the speed yet.

and i will never give up.

"You're not really as good as you best days....and not really as bad as your worst days"
Tommy Igoe

Fantastic quote.

Yes it happens to us all. I used to have that problem all of the time, But if you keep at it and don't let it get you down, your best days will eventually become your average days =). It's all part of progress.

This happens to me to occasionally too. I work in communications, and if I had a particular day where I pulled a lot of cable, my arms will be quite sore and the speed won't be there when I work on the practice pad that night. As everyone has said, don't sweat it. It doesn't mean anything, just an off-day. No worries...

Or you could probably just drink more milk...

Back