DSC00359.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC00361.JPG
    DSC00361.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 615
Looks very nice, but yeah need some blue painters tape on the edges and the inside of the drum covering the holes. But I made the same mistake on my first, so its a learning curve. I assume that's blue stain, or is it blue dye and clear coat?

i used blue dye, then sprayed lacquer on top

yeah...i actually did tape up the edges/holes but i must have done a bad job/used the wrong kind of tape (masking), because a lot of the blue seeped through, but i guess i know for next time

i used blue dye, then sprayed lacquer on top

yeah...i actually did tape up the edges/holes but i must have done a bad job/used the wrong kind of tape (masking), because a lot of the blue seeped through, but i guess i know for next time

Masking tape is grainy as you can see the texture, and the blue tape is smooth at the edges. Just dont show anyone the bottom view and you will survive. The main question I guess, or two, did you have fun and how does it sound.?

ps...Did you drill this yourself, and what did you use for a template?

Good job. Where in Maryland are you? I grew up in Catonsville. High School, CCC, and Towson University.

Im in Bethesda, its actually really far from towson, i had to drive down there for a solo festival last year and it took like an hour and a half or something

Nice job!! Looks like a lot of fun and I wish I had the time and dedication (and spare cash) to build my own drum. Not to say it's impossible-- I see more and more people taking the DIY route every day. The drum loosk great, nice choice in finish. How much did the whole project (ballpark) cost you?

this is cool I was just telling one of my employees this morning that I would like to make some drums and I found a few resources here...still want a lathe and make the shells but this is a start...thanks for sharing...it looks nice!

A great source for supplies: www.amdrumparts.com

Buy all of your hardware there, and they will drill all holes and bearing edges free.
This is a good deal for a first timer. This was my first attempt.

Attachments

• P4280028.JPG
    P4280028.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 543
Nice snares all!!

Here is the one I just built. It is a 6x12 Craviotto shell. Hayman style lugs, DW throwoff and butt, TAMA die cast hoops and puresound wires. Oil stain and Nitro high gloss lacquer.

craviotto.jpg

AWESOME, thank you Robert for all that information....SWEET, I am definately going to put something together SOON

Back