Any other instruments that needs more ambidexterity Than Drums/Percussion?

Ambidextrous

Hello... I have this question that lurks in my mind haha. so here it goes...
I would like to ask, Are there any instruments that needs more ambidexterity than playing Drums? I Mean If u play the drums open handed but ride cymbal on ur right. so u will be sort of leading with both hands through out songs. And the feets too. Drummers are using all their god given limbs to play the instrument! COOL! lol.
So yeah... any other instruments that require more ambidexterity to play than the drums? I'm really keen to find out if there's any other ambidexteriTESTING( word i thought of) instruments haha

Pipe organ requires more dexterity. Those cats use ten fingers like a pianist on multiple keyboards and them feets are playing an equvalent to a keyboard with their pedals. A funny music professor once told me, "you know that they're really an organist, not just a pianist playing the organ if they gots them there feet goin!"

Also playing the harmonica while walking a tightrope over niagra falls requires extreme amounts of dexterity, i highly recommend it if you are trying to challenge yourself. =P

Drums don't require ambidexterity. No instrument does, except for Michael Angelo's fretted monstrosities:

mikequad.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly, most drummers aren't ambidextrous at all. I wish I would have started out playing open handed, but not that I can play exactly the same with both hands.

Exactly, most drummers aren't ambidextrous at all. I wish I would have started out playing open handed, but not that I can play exactly the same with both hands.

People often confuse open playing with ambidextrous playing. They are separate things. I play open, left hand hats and ride, and I don't often play the hats or ride with the right hand. In that way, I am just like the vast majority of drummers who have assigned hand roles. My hand roles allow me to play open, that's all.

Open playing might make it easier for someone to play ambidextrous, but they're not the same things.

In addition to using his/her hands and feet, a pedal steel player uses their knees as well. I remember hearing that the hardest instrument to play was the violin, because of the bowing, plus all of the notes are on this tiny unfretted neck. 2nd is the pedal steel, and 3rd is the drums. I'm not sure what comes after that, and I also don't know how much truth there is in that statement.

I remember hearing that the hardest instrument to play was the violin, because of the bowing, plus all of the notes are on this tiny unfretted neck.

According to some dubious scientific study, playing the violin on a virtuosic level is the most difficult activity a human being can learn to do.

The violin virtuoso Sarasate was known to have said, "I've been playing seventeen hours a day for 37 years, and they call me a genius."

According to some dubious scientific study, playing the violin on a virtuosic level is the most difficult activity a human being can learn to do.

Obviously, that person never piloted an f-15 in air-to-air combat, performed seperation surgery on conjoined twins with a fused spine or won an all-around individual gold medal in olympic gymnastics. I can say being a performer that i thrive on playing the challenging fills and solos, no stress, rather anticipation and excitement. High dexterity and concentration activities that induce stress, especially when lives are on the line are much more difficult, IMO.

People often confuse open playing with ambidextrous playing. They are separate things. I play open, left hand hats and ride, and I don't often play the hats or ride with the right hand. In that way, I am just like the vast majority of drummers who have assigned hand roles. My hand roles allow me to play open, that's all.

Open playing might make it easier for someone to play ambidextrous, but they're not the same things.

My point exactly. I wish I learned to play open handed when I started, because it's just logical to use your set like that, but I don't have any ambition to play ambidextrous at all.

My point exactly. I wish I learned to play open handed when I started, because it's just logical to use your set like that, but I don't have any ambition to play ambidextrous at all.

You could still play open without changing very much. You would need to get a remote hihat and put it to your right. You'd have to make some adjustments regarding tom fills, etc., but it might be worth it.

Obviously, that person never piloted an f-15 in air-to-air combat, performed seperation surgery on conjoined twins with a fused spine or won an all-around individual gold medal in olympic gymnastics. I can say being a performer that i thrive on playing the challenging fills and solos, no stress, rather anticipation and excitement. High dexterity and concentration activities that induce stress, especially when lives are on the line are much more difficult, IMO.

I agree with diosdude. I used to play violin, and I think its more about muscle memory like any other instrument. All it takes is practice!

I agree with diosdude. I used to play violin, and I think its more about muscle memory like any other instrument. All it takes is practice!

Yes, muscle memory, also known as "kinesthetics" (one of my favorite "big words"!), is an important part of playing any instrument. If you do something often enough, meaning if you practice for a LONG TIME, your body will be able to execute the desired motions without you having to think about it. Once you are comfortable with the basic technique (hitting a drum, etc.), then you can extrapolate upon that and be creative. It is that ability which makes a good musician.

I have dabbled in the violin and it is insanely difficult. You have to have good knowledge of theory AND the technique is very demanding. It takes alot of practice just to get a decent sound. Given the same amount of work, it is much more difficult than the drums,

Hi Colonel!

I think I just figured something out Deathmetalconga. I started playing violin when I was younger, and drums not until a year ago. I think maybe its easier to start an instrument when you are younger. Of course I don't know if this is true or not, just a thought. But either way, I think drums are just as hard or harder then violin. Make sense?

In addition to practise, discipline is the key word to play any instrument.(drums included).

Cheers,

Back