What brand of kit do you play?

I play a Mapex Meridian Maple at the moment along with a Black Panther Sledgehammer and a mixture of cymbals and a mix of Yamaha and Mapex Hardware, complete with a Tama Speed Cobra.
Zildjian A Customs, Zildjian Avedis, Agean cymbals and Sabian XS20's. I have my eye on a few Sabian guys though, and K Custom guys. But doubt I'll get a few of those anytime soon haha! This is my main kit.

I have a Peavey International kit with Zildjian ZXT/Paiste 101 pies and Tama Hardware. That's not my kit though, that's my Dads.

Then, for practice I've got a Roland TD3KW with a Mapex Pedal.

I am slowly building a used set of classic maples.Not collectables, whatever I can find. Decent giant beat cymbals..... I am a new drummer... took 40 years off....At my age it has to be about the sound . It is the sound that makes me sit in front of my kit every day and practice.

Mapex Meridian Maple as my main set - They look and sound fantastic.

older Pearl set as my backup/traveling set - They were cheap, but sound good

Snares - I have a bunch of different kinds, they are all special in one way or another

What brand of kit do you play and why?

Here's a list of all the kits I own and play:

1) 2012 Ludwig Legacy Exotic
2) 2005 Ludwig Clear Acrylic
3) 1978 Ludwig Stainless Steel
4) 2011 Ludwig Keystone (My Gigging Kit)
5) 2004 Ludwig Accent Custom Elite
6) 1985 Yamaha Recording Custom
7) 1988 Tama Artstar II
8) 2001 DW Collectors Series
9) 2011 DW Peformance Series
10) 2000 DW Workshop Series
11) 2009 PDP Platinum Series
12) 1998 Premier Genistas
13) 2000 Ayotte Drumsmith Series
14) 2002 Gretsch USA Custom
15) 1988 Sonor Hi Lites
16) 2005 Pearl Reference Series
17) 1975 Slingerlands
18) 1969 Rogers Holiday

7) 1988 Tama Artstar II
15) 1988 Sonor Hi Lites
17) 1975 Slingerlands
18) 1969 Rogers Holiday

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Okay, you can't just be teasing like that - pictures, baby, pictures!

7) 1988 Tama Artstar II
15) 1988 Sonor Hi Lites
17) 1975 Slingerlands
18) 1969 Rogers Holiday

...you have all these kits right now? Wow....my better half would kill me

...you have all these kits right now? Wow....my better half would kill me

I own all these kits right now and will post some pics a little later today when I get home from work. In response to someone saying their better half would "Kill" them....I'm happily divorced!

I own all these kits right now and will post some pics a little later today when I get home from work. In response to someone saying their better half would "Kill" them....I'm happily divorced!

...would love to see the pics.....yep, the only way I could have that collection of kits would be via divorce....or if I win the lottery.........odds are better on the former I'm afraid.

Same kit now for the past 5 years.
Maple custom absolute
Black Sparkle
8, 10 , 12 rack toms
14 , 16 , 18 floor toms
20 , 24 virgin bass drums
several snares

Luddy Classic Maple, 13, 16, 22 and 14 x 6.5. Because I'm in a Beatles Tribute Band and the classic maples are awesome drums.

...would love to see the pics.....yep, the only way I could have that collection of kits would be via divorce....or if I win the lottery.........odds are better on the former I'm afraid.

Bass Drum Wall adjusted.jpg

Bob's Ludwig Acrylics, adjusted.jpg

Bob's snare rack adjusted.jpg

DW Workshop Series Drums-1 adjusted.jpg

Dw Performance Series-1 adjusted.jpg

Here are some pics. I will take some more soon and post during the week

Ludwig Legacy Classic - Lacewood Shell Pack adjusted.jpg

Here's another one...more to follow

7) 1988 Tama Artstar II
15) 1988 Sonor Hi Lites
17) 1975 Slingerlands
18) 1969 Rogers Holiday

What? No Mapex Saturns, huh? What do you think of the DW Performance Series?

What? No Mapex Saturns, huh? What do you think of the DW Performance Series?

I don't have any Mapex sets yet. My next set will be a Natal Ash kit. The DW performers are very nice. Very well made (Now that they are made in the US). Pretty rich sounding set.

Entry level PDP drums, its my first kit. Doesn't sound particularly good even with new heads on it, and the bass drum is from a different kit so the wraping doesn't match. I got it off a friend for 20 bucks though, so the price was right. I've added some better cymbals and a speed king pedal, for now its fine to learn on.

I don't have any Mapex sets yet. My next set will be a Natal Ash kit. The DW performers are very nice. Very well made (Now that they are made in the US). Pretty rich sounding set.

Yet. That's funny....I've never heard of Natal, but that's no surprise. I'm slow to learn about new stuff. Thanks for the reply on the DW's. Didn't know they weren't made in the US for awhile. Glad to hear they are again. Yeah, they have a great sound at a good price.

i have a 7 piece DW workshop series kit same green color as the pic above does anyone have any idea what it is worth?

Bobacrd you are a drum pimp! I envy you!

Here's pic of my kit, slighlty out of date, it's changed a bit since this shot.

chunkkit.jpg

Still playing the same Tama Rockstar DX that I started on 16 years ago, but I recently started acquiring the pieces to build a badass beast of a kit. Got some vintage 14" and 15" Tama Superstar toms, which will soon be followed by an 18" floor. Then I'll custom order (or possibly build) 2 behemoth kicks (24x__ ...not sure yet, but something very deep), then custom wrap the whole kit.

Why? Well, with the Rockstar, when I went shopping for my first kit, one store happened to have an 8 piece Rockstar kit used. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, so it was a no brainer. I got it sounding pretty good, but then I eventually began using triggers all around the kit, so what it lacked in sound no longer mattered. I've since stopped using trigs, so now sound matters again haha.

Why the vintage Superstars? It's not about the Superstars as much as it's about wanting something different (in sound, size and...well...looks) from what's widely available out there right now.

Back