Gavin Harrison here!

Hi NeuroAxis,

From watching your videos you seem to use a combination of French and German grips, and I'm trying to develop a style that changes back and forth between these two depending on the application. Do you work on grip a lot or is it more something that just comes naturally? Are there certain situations where you know that one style will sound better than the other?

Any grip changing I do is purely instinctive - I know I do move from one to the other and there's probably a lot of in between too. I just do what feels right for the touch/volume I need at that point.

Hi trysthedrummer

Are you looking forward to Drummer Live this year Gavin?Will you be doing any signings?

I think it should be good fun. I'm only going to be there on Sunday as I'm just about to leave for Austria and do a PT festival. I believe I will be do a signing session with Jojo at the Sonor stand around 12:30?

Hi Joe P

Hey Gavin. I wanted to ask, what is that tune that you play on the intro to the A-side of Rhythmic Horizons?

It's just a little riff I wrote for that into.

Hi hauk,

When Steven writes a song, how does the recording process go? I assume he sends you a scratch track with him playing guitar and bass and singing, maybe with a drum machine playing the basic part he has in his head? Then you record your part as do Colin and Richard and Steve gets them all, records his final cuts, and mixes it? Or am I way off?

That's how some of the compositions go.

Do you happen to have the main marimba pattern in 19 Days written out anywhere? I'd love to learn that.

Picture 4.jpg

How did you decide to put that complex polyrhythm into What Happens Now? It fits perfectly, but I can't imagine what led you to try it as part of the composition. The same goes for other examples; are there any specific things you tend to pick up on that spark an idea for a polyrhythm in the song?

Whilst in a writing session we got to the point in "What Happens Now" where we felt it needed to take off in a different direction - so I suggested that polyrhythm and the way the others should play to it. On other occasions polyrhythmic ideas come to me based on a rhythm I can hear in someone else's part.

Finally, this probably sounds like quite an odd question, but would you ever consider writing an ensemble for concert percussionists?

It's an interesting idea but I don't think I'd have the time to do it.

Hi JamStew,

Do you think it is helpful to play these figures like this or is it better to practise them in their 'unchanged' form

I think any sticking is helpful - especially in odd groups such as these.

Hi jdzzz,

I'd like to know whether counting really is that important.

I think it is when you're practicing - but I try not to do it when I perform.

Cheers
Gavin

Thanks to Gavin and ZDrums24 for the advice on grip. I also used both more or less without thinking about it or really knowing what I was doing; I would just go by what felt best.

But I definitely feel the difference in switching to French during a cascading drumroll or when the right hand is playing the ride. It's much more relaxed in this position.

HI Gav how are u?

everytime i hear u comes to my mind your uncommon way to fill the spaces in the music,
where do learn that or how it born inside you, its maybe about your musical influences can u tell me about this; who is your favorite drummer?

Lord bless u man
cheers

Raul Guereca

Hi e7z

I have ticket to TP's Moscow gig. I will see your drumming live. It's great! Do you plan some clinic or workshop in Moscow?,

I have no plans for a drum clinic in Moscow.

Hi raguer,

everytime i hear u comes to my mind your uncommon way to fill the spaces in the music,
where do learn that or how it born inside you, its maybe about your musical influences can u tell me about this; who is your favorite drummer?

I try to play less 'common' drum fills if I can. It takes a lot of effort and it's something I've been working on for many years. It's not really about influences so much as finding ideas within yourself. I like many drummers - have a search back through this thread.

Hi Kalma,

i wanted to know which in-ear-system you use.

I use very simple Sennheiser MX400 (or MX300) inside a custom mold of my ear. I also have a pair of Ultimate Ear UE10's but I don't enjoy playing with them as much as the Sennheiser's.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin. In the 1993 you have play one song (cannibali) in the homonym Raf's album (a very good job!). Why they have call you for play only one song? Thanks!

hey Gavin,
A bit lenghty question here...
When one starts of with drums,there is an aspiration and the fire to play in a band and be a good drummer or to some it can be to play like their favourite drummer.
now at this given moment i aspire to reach the level of playing you are at.so there is this constant push from the inside.am not talking about replicatin your style but the level of playing.
what drives you?you have reached a certain benchmark,what do you see next for yourself.
what is it that makes you push that extra hard?What motivates you at your level.

Hi Kalma,

i wanted to know which in-ear-system you use.

I use very simple Sennheiser MX400 (or MX300) inside a custom mold of my ear. I also have a pair of Ultimate Ear UE10's but I don't enjoy playing with them as much as the Sennheiser's.

cheers
Gavin

Ah, ok.
But how does the Sennheisers look? Did you "tune" them or are they available with an attachment for custom molds??

Gavin,
Thanks for your replies

I don't find the song or the author... do you know maybe the name of the CD?

and again, if you didn't notice Gavin, when will Porcupine tree have a performance in Israel?

thanks again, Etan.

I'm pretty sure that Laurence made that mix especially for Gavin, but I could be wrong...

Hi RED-DIAMOND,

when would Porcupine tree will preform in Israel(as porcupine - not blackfield)?

We have no plans to come to Israel at the moment.

Hi daniele

In the 1993 you have play one song (cannibali) in the homonym Raf's album (a very good job!). Why they have call you for play only one song?

The rest of that record was already finished - they just asked me to play that one song - I don't know why. Some producers like to use different drummers for different songs.

Hi jdzzz,

what drives you?you have reached a certain benchmark,what do you see next for yourself.
what is it that makes you push that extra hard?What motivates you at your level.

I love playing drums - but it's the music that really drives me. I'm in competition with myself to play the best I can and to keep progressing forwards. I feel disappointed if I just keep playing the same stuff/same licks and fills - I know when I do something new (for me) and that makes me want to strive for it.

Hi Kalma,

But how does the Sennheisers look? Did you "tune" them or are they available with an attachment for custom molds??

I don't know what you mean by 'tuning' but this is what they look like when they are inside some molds:
Picture 1.jpg

Regarding the track "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle. I made a session for Laurence around 2001 and recorded that track. I was in the middle of making my first DVD Rhythmic Visions and I asked him if I could use that track on my DVD. That version of it is only on that DVD.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin!

I have a question about your mic setup - do you ever find it necessary to mic your cup-chimes more closely? I know you're using some pretty high-end overheads, but i've tried some similar patterns to yours, and i'm having a hard time getting them to come through clearly, at a good volume. Of course, it could also be the characteristics of each particular chime. I'm using Rode NT-5s at the moment, about 8 inches above my my head, at almost 45-degree angles pointing toward the kit, and away from each other. I'm using another NT-5 just for the hi-hats, and there's a very small amount of spill from the chimes (not enough to be considered useful)

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Hi Gavin!

My name is Facundo, and I'm from Spain. I'm 15 years old and I have a question for you.

I want to come to your concert in october in the Sala Apolo (Barcelona), but in october I will haven't the age to enter in this place, (the minimum is 16 years old). What can I do? Can you or someone help me?

Thanks!!!!!!

Hi Gavin,
do you like more sm 57 or Audix i5 for snare's studio recording? whats differents have you found? I should buy one of this but i'm undecided. Thank you

Good day Gavin

I am working with my son on proper drum technique grip and hitting the drums in the center of the skin, I did work with him on the coin taped to the center of the skin, now it is mostly grip that I am working with him on, keeping the thumb up and sitting up straight (posture), do you have any suggestions on this topic that may help me out? Technique is so important and he is at an early age so it better to get him on the right path now then later.

Reg

Back