Who is your favorite drummer(s)

My favorite drummers will be Flo from Cryptopsy, Kataclysm, Quo Vadis Drummer, Berzerker Drummer and dont forget Derek Roddy from Hate Eternal. On another point of view, Buddy Rich, Danny Carey and Virgil Donnati will be my others.

Gene Hoglan (Death, Strapping Young Lad)
Sean Rinert (Death)
Tim Alexander (duh)

Gene Hoglan and Sean Rinert make Danney Carey (who is AWESOME)
sound like Meg White.

Where do I begin.. well it all starts with guys who are all about groove and feeling and who I aspire to be like more than the "chops masters":

Bernard Purdie
Steve Gadd
Clyde Stubblefield
Jabo Starks
The great drummers of Motown: Uriel Jones, Richard "Pistol" Allen, Benny Benjamin

Then I like guys who while they might be alittle different in how they approach the instrument, some more showy than others, I like guys who are unique and do things their own way and inspire me to try and make the instrument my own:

Billy Ward (a HUGE influence on me. Nothing makes me want to overcome my challenges and try new things more than him. If you read this BW, thanks man :) )
John Blackwell
Johnny Rabb

Then just a random list of other drummers who I love:

Neil Peart
Benny Greb
Opus
(Gargantua Soul..CT based band, now kaput)
Eric Hand
(great metal drummer from my high school days for a band in NH called die.right.mind. Again, now broken up.
Liberty DeVito
Stewart Copeland
Dom Famularo
My old teacher, Don Kirby

and the list goes on..

It's not for sure my favorite drummer...but im just coming back from the slipknot / as i lay dying and Uneart show at Montreal, and the drummer from As i Lay dying did an amasing job !!!

Although what he plays may be nothin out of the ordinary I respect Dave Weckl the most cause I love the feel he gets through to me and I love his type of music n all, but there r so many other great drummers...................

It would definetely be Vinnie Colaiuta for his unconventional style,Dave Weckl,Dennis Chambers(his matched grip genuis),Peter Erskine,Steve Gadd,Rick Latham and Jo-Jo Mayer and Buddy Rich.Amazing how they have advanced the "advanced fills" and techniques,which is great,as it gives us a chance to improve on even that!

Tomas Haake-Meshuggah (reason I got into drumming)
George Kollias-Nile
Flo Mounier-Cryptopsy
Doug Bohn-Suffocation

current favorite
David Haley-Psycroptic

Tomboy said:
It would definetely be Vinnie Colaiuta for his unconventional style,Dave Weckl,Dennis Chambers(his matched grip genuis),Peter Erskine,Steve Gadd,Rick Latham and Jo-Jo Mayer and Buddy Rich.Amazing how they have advanced the "advanced fills" and techniques,which is great,as it gives us a chance to improve on even that!

I agree whole heartedly Rick Latham has a book titled Advanced Funk studies.It comes with a CD.I had a tape when I went through it.about 15 years ago.He has written his interpretation for Steve Gadd stuff & others.He totally changed my feel for counting,creativeness & sounds with that book.All the other guys you like are great also. Joe.

Jim Colao- Naked Raygun
Todd Trainer- Shellac, Riflesport, Breaking Circus
Pat Byrne- Urge Overkill
Michael Giles- King Crimson
Topper Headon- The Clash
Joe Morello
Ari Hoenig
Elvin Jones
Danny Carey
Jimmy Chamberlin

Last edited:
I love the diversity here...I'm not seeing Bonham and Peart over and over again, very cool.

Beauford
Bonham
Bruford
Colaiuta
Chambers
Chamberlain
Copeland
Covington
Fishman
Katche
Roach
Wackerman
...just to name a few.

And I don't think I've seen the great Louie Bellson on the list...forgive him for his haircut, he's a killer swing drummer.

Top 7 Drummers!

Ok, i dont know if any one started one of these, and if they did, i'm sorry. I am too lazy to search to see. Anyways, state your top seven, or 7 favorite drummers. (It doesnt need to be in order)

Mine Are(in no order):
1. Mike Portnoy--Dream Theater
2. John Bonham--Led Zeppelin
3. Terry Bozzio
4. Virgil Denotti--Planet X
5. The Rev(underrated)--Avenged Sevenfold
6. Spug--Mudvayne
7. Bill Ward--Black Sabbath/Ozzy

Re: Top 7 Drummers!

I'll play!

Top 7 (in no particular order):

Dale Crover (Melvins)
Danny Carey (Tool)
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Tim "Herb" Alexander (Primus)
Chris Pennie (Dillinger Ecape Plan)
Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste (The Meters)
Mike "Puffy" Bordin (Faith No More)

Re: Top 7 Drummers!

cause its unlucky and this thread is a curse, you will amount to nothing by posting threads that have already been done!!!!

Back