Hearing more of the kit?

okiemuse

I'm home recording my own tunes and getting interested in a drum style that's a bit more active. Not enough to distract listeners; but up a notch in the mix with enough imagination for there to be a reason to do so. I assume the snare is heavily used because it can cut through the tune. The band can hear it. Is there a way to select each of the drum components, or adjust them, so they're a bit easier to hear? The only ideas I have is to somehow use each drum's higher-frequency overtones, or play louder. I may be reinventing the wheel here and don't know it yet.

I know this is easier once percussion is recorded and inside the computer. But I'd rather look for ideas at the root.

I know this is easier once percussion is recorded and inside the computer. But I'd rather look for ideas at the root.

Really brief oversimplification....

Every instrument occupies some portion of the sonic spectrum. Each drum is an instrument. Using a notch filter, cut out the undesirable frequencies. Accentuate the desirable frequencies. If you find two overlapping instruments, figure out a way to deal with it.

Kick and bass guitar usually collide. Snare and 6 string often collide. Etc. Get rid of the overlap, phase issues, etc, and everything will sound crystal clear. Mix first in mono. Once the levels and EQ are good, work on your stereo spread.

There's a number of recording guides on the web. Some by professionals that know what they're doing, some by people like me who barely have a grasp of it.

Last edited:
Back