DW Black Nickel Hardware

johnbarnesiii

Hi,

I just bought a used DW kit, an older collector series (90's I think). I was wondering around how much it would cost to swap the chrome hardware for black nickel, on all 4 drums. Its a standard 4-piece kit.

How much does DW charge for this? Also is it cheaper to buy the DW black nickel hardware than it would to have the current chrome hardware powder coated black? If anyone knows DW price for black nickel on 4 drums pls let me know.

Thanks.

The best and probably the only way to find out about DW's prices is to ask a DW dealer. I'm guessing now, but it would probably be much cheaper to have your current hardware powder coated.

Dennis

can't help you on the price, but I think you could probably go with gilbratar on everything except the lug and throw off. should save you some bucks and at much more reasonable price.

The best and probably the only way to find out about DW's prices is to ask a DW dealer. I'm guessing now, but it would probably be much cheaper to have your current hardware powder coated.

Dennis

I'd say powder coating would be much cheaper as well, just have to make sure they don't get any of that down in the threads of the lugs. I want to say though that the finish on the factory black chrome is anodized not powder coated which is how they get the lug screws chromed as well.

I checked with a guy who does powder coating and he quoted me around $400 for the whole kit. So you guys think that would be cheaper than buying DW black nickel hardware?

Also I'll check on the Gibraltar black hardware (minus lugs), thank for that tip!

I checked with a guy who does powder coating and he quoted me around $400 for the whole kit. So you guys think that would be cheaper than buying DW black nickel hardware?

Also I'll check on the Gibraltar black hardware (minus lugs), thank for that tip!

so how many total pieces? I'd call around a few more places that sounds a little high.

got to thinking that black chrome may be a dip like silver chrome.

yea it does sound kinda pricey, that's why was curious what dw black nickel lugs cost. then maybe i could purchase black rims from gibraltar?

If you got Black Nickle lugs, there are Black Nickle hoops available.
It'd probably be pricey, but cool as hell.

Maybe they can do Candy Black, so it's really shiny like the Candy Red looks on chrome?
Plain glossy Black never did anything for me, but a candy shine would be cool.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with it!

When I was looking to buy some DW lug casings a few years ago, they wouldn't sell them to me. Something about how DW doesn't want their lugs to be used on custom drums and whatnot. If you wanted to purchase new lug casings, you'd have to pay for them AND ship them your old lug casings. Weird. I guess they're protecting their image/sound...

Oh and kobaboy its 5 piece kit (22, 16, 14, 13, 12)

Sorry what I was meaning was how many total pieces of hardware are you looking to get done as is all the lugs and whatever else you are wanting powder coated.

Oh, for that yes I'd want all the lugs, the hoops, possibly the tension rods too but not necessarily. I think that would look badass! Not that this would be the same but I also fell in love with a flat black look I found online (see pic attached) and was curious to see what that would look like on this DW kit. I'm torn tho b/c I hesitate to alter the original kit, maybe that would lower its value?? So keep the same shell finish & add black nickel hardware, or option 2 do black nickel hw with flat black shell, or option 3 keep it as is haha! Decisions decisions. Also is there a way to tell extactly what year my DW kit is??

Attachments

• MG_1638.jpg
    MG_1638.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 2,870
  • Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 12.21.06 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 12.21.06 PM.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,394
That's a pretty nice DW kit you picked up; saw the pics in your other thred. personally, I would take the current hardware off (hoops/lugs...), get it all clean and shiny and put some new heads on the kit. Other than that, I wouldn't mess with it. Its a DW and should look like one. I think anything too drastic would "cheapen" the look.

Good point Jimbo, I like the way you think. That's probably what I'll end up doing, keep it the same as it is just cleaned up a bit.
BTW for cleaning up the kit, what is a good cleaner for shells & also another cleaner for the chrome hardware?

Last edited:
Back