Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin
About double bass drumming technique. I wanted to ask you though how do you aproach doubling-substitutions, specifically about preferences on leading and landing with different feet. For example if Im playing groups of three RLL using my right foot instead of left hand RFF, and I double them, I have two posibilites: starting the burst of four in the downbeat of 2, or starting in the upbeat of 1, anticipating the second downstroke. The two posibilites would look like this:

1) R - F f F f (downbeats=F/ upbeats=f) and
2) R f F f F - .

Now if you know what I mean so far, I have a conflict deciding wether to start the second option with the left pedal, thus maintaining always downbeat on the right foot, or starting it with the right foot, thus changing the downbeat to the left foot.
Now I know you never start with left.. does that mean you preffer to land the downbeats on different feet than to lead with different feet?
Sorry about the long question, but I would be really happy to read you thoughts about this! Or from any other drummers in this forum!

Hey Gavin, are the earmuffs you're using during the 05Ric rehearsals video (the ones with the red line) just some standard Peltors? Are they any good to wear over the headphones/get a decent feel for the music with them on?

Fox.

Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

Thank you,

Marcos

Interesting question!

Also..... is this finish availble? I absolutely want it! It'a amazing!

M.

I checked the sq2 configurator and it's not available.. They are also black from the inside, right?
Sonor told me when I ordered my sq2 that they can't produce anything that's not in the configurator.. :D lie!! =)

Hi !SpeedKing

So I would like to know if you often use doubles or triplets or even paradiddles in your playing style.

yes I do...but to be pedantic - 'triplets' are just subdivisions and not a 'sticking'.

Hi Dustondrums

Gavin, maybe it's a silly question, but what helps you to stay relaxed playing the drums? And if you feel some intensity while you play (in the middle of the song or before the difficult part for example), what helps you to get rid of it?

the short answer is - experience. I have learnt through many years of being on stage in high pressure situations that you will tense up with nerves - and want to rush things with the high level of adrenaline that you may have. It sounds silly - but you have to tell yourself to relax. Watch Steve Gadd play - and you'll see what being relaxed is all about.

Hi machine_head

About double bass drumming technique. I wanted to ask you though how do you aproach doubling-substitutions, specifically about preferences on leading and landing with different feet. For example if Im playing groups of three RLL using my right foot instead of left hand RFF, and I double them, I have two posibilites: starting the burst of four in the downbeat of 2, or starting in the upbeat of 1, anticipating the second downstroke. The two posibilites would look like this:

1) R - F f F f (downbeats=F/ upbeats=f) and
2) R f F f F - .

Now if you know what I mean so far, I have a conflict deciding wether to start the second option with the left pedal, thus maintaining always downbeat on the right foot, or starting it with the right foot, thus changing the downbeat to the left foot.
Now I know you never start with left.. does that mean you preffer to land the downbeats on different feet than to lead with different feet?

I don't really understand what you mean in your example - can you notate it for us? In any case - I always start any pedal combination with my right foot and I always play singles. I can think fast with my hands but not with my feet - so I keep to those very simple rules so my feet don't get confused. If I end up on a down beat with either foot - that's fine with me. If you try really hard to always have one foot 'on the beat' and the other always 'off the beat' you're going to run into problems as soon as you play in an odd time signature.

Hi Fox622003

are the earmuffs you're using during the 05Ric rehearsals video (the ones with the red line) just some standard Peltors? Are they any good to wear over the headphones/get a decent feel for the music with them on?

Yes they're Peltors with maximum isolation. I put them on over my 'in ear' monitors. That way I can have very low volume reaching my ears (because I suffer from tinnitus) and I'm hearing a very high percentage of just the sound coming through microphones - so I can really tell what the drums are sounding like from mics perspective.

Hi Rítmico

Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

the new kit is like this
maple shell SQ2 Blue Tribal
22x15
8x7
10x8
12x9
15x13
16x14
18x15

12x5 snare drum + 14x5 snare drum. The bearing edges are all standard except the 14" snare which is rounded (like my previous SQ2).

all the toms are 'medium' shell and the bass drum is 'heavy' shell.

I didn't love the trend towards deeper bass drums in the past years. I almost never play in situations that aren't mic'd up (so I don't need some crazy volume from it) and the deeper bass drums are harder to play because of the volume of air you have to move. So that's why I chose 15" depth.

the 15x13 is now my favourite floor tom size for a 'first' floor tom. The second floor tom I have an option of the 16" or the 18".

This is the first Blue Tribal - Sonor made it for me as a special request. (For those of you who aren't familiar with their 'Tribal' finish - it is a real wood veneer and not a plastic wrap). I don't know for sure if and when they might introduce this colour (I hope so because it looks GREAT). Also as a special request they painted the inside of each drum satin black.

Cheers
Gavin

HI Gavin,

Totally Cool Blue Tribal kit It's awesome. Please share some more Photos.
I am absolutely amazed by how much I like it as blue is not my flavor of choice. I've a Red Stain Designer and recently added Red Tribal ProLite snare. I'd love a Red Tribal kit but alas I'm still paying off my used Designer kit so for now I'll be happy with Designers and my Tribal snare, and looking at photos of other cool kits.
The Kick is a 22x16 and I would guess the difference between a 22X16 and a 22X15 is indecipherable. I rarely get to hear it from a listing position, from behind the kit it sounds good no qualms but the few times someone plays my kit and I'm out in front I am completely blown away.

Did you chose the tom mount on the bass drum for a reason or just to keep future options open or is something to do with what looks like a Mic cable going through the mount hole?
In the photo the toms are mounted into the rack legs was that for some quick photos or are you making a slight change to your rack setup?
Sorry not the most interesting questions but I'm curious.

UE

Hello Gavin,

First of all I can't stop listening to your 19 days performance at the MD festival it is just incredible, the cymbal and drum sound is incredible. The choice of cymbals is just fitting the song so well.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. He is one of my biggest idols, I think he was a great drummer and his groove was just sick (Georgy Porgy anyone?). My most legendary memories go to the concert with Toto in 1990 in Le Zenith Paris. I am only 23 years old (born in 1988) but still find him as a great Idol as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.

Hello Gavin,

First of all I can't stop listening to your 19 days performance at the MD festival it is just incredible, the cymbal and drum sound is incredible. The choice of cymbals is just fitting the song so well.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. He is one of my biggest idols, I think he was a great drummer and his groove was just sick (Georgy Porgy anyone?). My most legendary memories go to the concert with Toto in 1990 in Le Zenith Paris. I am only 23 years old (born in 1988) but still find him as a great Idol as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.

Hey there Gavin, I've recently been more conscious about the tightness and accuracy of my notes when I play. Your level of precision is where I set my goal to be at, are there any exercises or methods you have found useful that helped you in developing said accuracy? I think it's partially a mental thing too, like concentration and such.

Hi Gavin,

Long time ago since I checked here. First, the third GH/05ric album sounds great! Enjoying the surround version a lot :) You talked about the first album being released on dvd-a too last year if I remember correctly. Is that still in the "pipeline"?

Just got your signature sticks today! Ordered them from the USA as they where not available here. They where larger and heavier then I thought but I really like the grip on them.

I wanted to travel to the UK to see one of the shows but unfortunately couldn't commit to it. Any chance that one of the gigs is recorded and will be released in any kind of way? I'm really curious how you guys pulled this off live.

Now, I do have a question regarding recording. In "the old days", a lot of recordings where done as a live band (band plays in a large room and that's recorded). Nowadays a lot of recordings evolve from musicians adding their bits and pieces from their own home studios (which seems the case for some of the projects you do). How do you find working in a way like that compared to recording (and thus interacting in real life) with a band in the studio?
I always have the idea that a bit of the "energy" is lost when recording separate. For me personally, I find it difficult to get inspired by the sound of a click and a couple of static midi sequences in a demo. A lot of music seems to get more "fire" when it is played live and I find it lost when I record. How do you try to capture that energy on a studio recording when recording at home and do you find it more difficult to record that way?

Cheers and thanks as always!

Hi NerfLad

Any chance you can share with us where you got the recorded arrangement of So What you played at PASIC '08?

I paid some musician friends of mine to make the track.

Hi UE Nastasi

Totally Cool Blue Tribal kit It's awesome.
Did you chose the tom mount on the bass drum for a reason or just to keep future options open or is something to do with what looks like a Mic cable going through the mount hole?

I wanted the option of the bass drum tom mount so I could run a cable through it to the mic inside (without having a hole in the front head) or perhaps mounting the toms on the bass drum if I did a small session or something that required a drastically cut down drum set.

In the photo the toms are mounted into the rack legs was that for some quick photos or are you making a slight change to your rack setup?

I was just experimenting with the idea of not having a bar running across the front of the kit.

Hi sde_leeuw

thanks.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'technical possibilities'. Do you mean in recording - or drum technique?

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I was just curious as to what exactly is the cover art of your album "Sanity and Gravity"? Who ended up doing your artwork?

yes it is just a regular power plug placed in a scanner. Artwork was by Pete Smith.

Hi Volentry

I've recently been more conscious about the tightness and accuracy of my notes when I play. Your level of precision is where I set my goal to be at, are there any exercises or methods you have found useful that helped you in developing said accuracy? I think it's partially a mental thing too, like concentration and such.

Just listening carefully and noticing the small details. I think it's a good idea to practise bass drum articulation. Find some real tongue twisters (toe twisters) and try to play them as accurate as you can.

Hi Sam Sanders

Hey Gavin, on your latest Porcupine Tree post on Facebook I wrote 'awesome, hi gavin' and it was deleted :(

I have no idea why - unless you have previously been posting videos of yourself in the comments columns and one of the other administrators banned you.

Hi SantiBanks

I wanted to travel to the UK to see one of the shows but unfortunately couldn't commit to it. Any chance that one of the gigs is recorded and will be released in any kind of way? I'm really curious how you guys pulled this off live.

we didn't record any of the shows so far - because there were only five of them - so it seemed too early to do that kind of thing.

Now, I do have a question regarding recording. In "the old days", a lot of recordings where done as a live band (band plays in a large room and that's recorded). Nowadays a lot of recordings evolve from musicians adding their bits and pieces from their own home studios (which seems the case for some of the projects you do). How do you find working in a way like that compared to recording (and thus interacting in real life) with a band in the studio?

It's more fun to all play together - and you get a much better idea of what it's going to sound like when it's finished - but a lot of those 'let's all play together' sessions ended up with everyone replacing their parts and we just kept the original drum tracks.

How do you try to capture that energy on a studio recording when recording at home and do you find it more difficult to record that way?

recording this way is of course just an illusion to the listener. You just have to try your best and hope that the producer knows what they are doing.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
First all i would like to thank you for making the perfect sticks. I got one pair and unfortunately i broke the sticks. I cried that day. It's impossible to get them in India. So, I'm hoping to visit the US this fall and buy like 30-40 pairs. :)

I would like to ask you about tracking drums. How do you prefer doing them? Do you like to track them in one go - the complete song at once or do you prefer tracking them part by part?

I love your drumming. No other has drummer has had as big influence on me as you. With each of your work, i discover something new and it deeply inspires.
Thank you,
Siddhant.

Hey Gavin, I was wondering do Porcupine Tree have any plans for the future at the minute, whether it be tours or a new album?

Back