Wood V. Die-Cast Hoops. . .GO!

RKTopper

Just wanted to get a round about opinion of what people think they like better. . . What advantages do wood hoops have over die-cast and Vis-Versa. . .
Im having a African Mahogany snare built by Truth and I still havent decided on the hoops. . . Thanks for your help!. . .God Bless

Go with an S-Hoop. I like those better.

Which tames the overtones and after-ring better? The S-Hoop or the Wood hoop? I would think the wood hoop since the S-Hoop has the flanged design built in to it.

The S-Hoops are nice, but I wouldn't mind trying wood hoops.

RK Topper: get both hoops and experiment!

Just wanted to get a round about opinion of what people think they like better. . . What advantages do wood hoops have over die-cast and Vis-Versa. . .
Im having a African Mahogany snare built by Truth and I still havent decided on the hoops. . . Thanks for your help!. . .God Bless

Shouldn't the Truth coompany be able to help you and give you advises, they offert the product, they should know... Unless they have no clue.

Give me a metal hoop anyday. Wood hoops make a superior rim click sound, but for everything else I'll take metal hoops. I swear I hear a difference in die cast vs triple flanged on the snare but not the toms, which doesn't add up to me. I need die cast on my snare but the toms could be either. I did an A/B on die cast vs triple flanged hoops on a 10" DW tom and posted the audio results here in a previous thread. It was really hard to hear any differences. here's the link:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44094

It's not really a matter of better or worse... just what sound you're looking for.

- Die-cast hoops are very dense and have a loud "pingy" sound where struck. They resist vibration, which in turn dampens overtones and focuses the sound.

- Flanged Hoops are softer and have a more musical "chime" quality to them. They tend to "open" a drum up with full and bright over tones.

-Wood hoops will change tonally depending on wood type and construction, but generally they open a drum up as they resonant at approx. the same rate and tone as the shells. They a make drums sound organic, rich, full and very musical, but still have a nice "woodblocky" bite. ( my personal faviorite... and I even use them for hard rock)

Shouldn't the Truth coompany be able to help you and give you advises, they offert the product, they should know... Unless they have no clue.

Of course they have a clue, but I really enjoy the opinions of others. . .
"Proverbs 15:22
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."

It's not really a matter of better or worse... just what sound you're looking for.

- Die-cast hoops are very dense and have a loud "pingy" sound where struck. They resist vibration, which in turn dampens overtones and focuses the sound.

- Flanged Hoops are softer and have a more musical "chime" quality to them. They tend to "open" a drum up with full and bright over tones.

-Wood hoops will change tonally depending on wood type and construction, but generally they open a drum up as they resonant at approx. the same rate and tone as the shells. They a make drums sound organic, rich, full and very musical, but still have a nice "woodblocky" bite. ( my personal faviorite... and I even use them for hard rock)

Thank you very much Jon_Gwon. . .that was very informative and the answer i was looking for. . . Its people like you that make these forums worth while. . .
God Bless

I use wood hoops on my birch and bubinga snares, but for additional reasons to those discussed. I rimshot often and metal hoops chew up my sticks really fast. Wood hoops give me the best of both worlds. Great tonal quality and longer stick life.

Back