The next prodigy?

Sammael

Hi everyone,

I am Sam from Portugal and for a couple of weeks now proud owner of an electronic drumset.
I am over 30 years old and this is the first time I own a drumset, thus fulfilling somewhat of a childhood dream xD
My music taste is very wide but my heart belongs to oldschool metal. So in my bookshelf you will find mostly Metallica, Slayer. Machine Head and those kind of things.

Allthough my parents always supported any of the crazy hobbies I chased, a noise making drumset in the garage was never really an issue they would be willing to consider. I guess e-drums never came to my mind when I was a kid, but it doesn't matter 'cos I wouldn't really have had any possibility to connect it to a computer or even a sound system anyways, so the idea was doomed to become and remain a dream for a couple of decades ;)

Anyway I am glad that I finally came around to get myself one. Allthough I must admit that it was a bithdaygift from my lifepartner. I guess she caught me googling for some and decided to surprise me.
We didn't really have a choice about which kind. We live in a building now and e-drums was the only possibility. Besides it is easier to connect to a PC and record - or so I thought; still have to figure some things out.

I was glad to see that there's a whole community of drummers out there and am hoping to soon become a part of it. I am, of course, still a beginner but I don't suck at it and am learning fast. No teacher, just books, but that will have to do at least at the beginning. Tips are always welcome ;)

Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Sam

Welcome to DW!!

I'm kind of a E-Drum fan myself although 95% of the time i perfer my acustic. What kind of kit did you get?

E-Drums are better than no drums right? At least your playing and learning. Living in an apartment the e-drums will serve you well. I use a Roland kit when playing at church. It's not mine but i enjoy playing on it twice a week. lol I'm not shure what model it is though. It has 4 PD8 pads, 3 cymbals and a KD8 kickpad. The brain on this kit is nice. All kinds of different sounds to choose from so i never have any problem finding the right sound for song. But the best thing about e-drums? I don't have to tune it!! lol

Post up some pics. I'd like to see it.

Thanks for the welcome :)

The drumset I got is prolly one of the cheapest out there: The Ion Pro Session Drums
It looks like this:
41zxidqNL6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now this is not really what I was looking for. I was eyeballing a Roland set aswell, and I just didn't get it because I take time to think before spending that much money. I have this thing where I spend way too much money for things that sometimes loose my interest after a while, so my wallet was kind of happy when my gf gave me this one.

I figured I could upgrade it step by step depending on my needs as I get better. What do you think about that strategy?

The first components I had in mind are:

1 - cymbal pad, since the set is missing one, don't know why. I'm using the 2 included as hi-hat and crash. Would like to add the ride. Any suggestions on good pads?

2 - pedals. The ones included there aren't really good for much (even if I don't really have much grounds for comparison). Regarding the pedals I'm still unsure whether to get switch or pad.

3 - a brain. The one included in my set is ok, but lacks some options, especially regarding connection to a computer. Also the included tunes to play along are boooooring!

I will probably buy the parts in this order. Btw, are the connections cables universal? ie, can I connect a roland or yamaha cymbal pad to that brain? The cables are 1/8'' jacks.

Regards,
Sam

Back