Gretsch Mid 70s Restoration Project

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have been thinking about giving my old sweetheart a full going over.
I have owned this kit since it was new.
I am in the planning process right now.
I am open for suggestions.
I intend on filling all of the extra holes and wrapping the kit.
I would like to upgrade the tom mount, spurs, etc.
This kit was originally a 7 piece with concert toms.
I am going to keep it as a 9x13 16x16 14x22 set up
I have already converted the mounted tom to have a reso head.

Please give me your ideas on what should be done.
What would you do if it was your kit?
Here are som pics of the kit as it is now.

Attachments

• 1110002200.jpg
    1110002200.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 815
  • 1110002206.jpg
    1110002206.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 918
  • user18721_pic1336_1230679802_thumb.jpeg
    user18721_pic1336_1230679802_thumb.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 746
I saw a guy use wood dowels and cut them to fill the holes, then he glued them in. Then he gave the entire shell a nice sanding to even them out, and then recovered them. Very cool. I didn't understand the dowling part until the drum was finished - you really need to do that because the empty holes will show through the wrap.

The recovering part is tricky though. You have to be good with gluing and getting that shell wrapped in one go.

I would go modern Tony Willliams though. Go nitro yellow wrap, but then have all your drum hardware powder coated red, and put black dots on. Then go play that kit at a wedding ;)

Very Funny, Everyones a comedian! LOL
I agree, I will fill all of the holes with dowels. I will then sand.
I have to match the silver in the shells and repaint.
Should I put internal mufflers back in the toms or fill those holes too?
I don't really like the internal mufflers so I will probably eliminate them.

Didn't like my Tony Williams idea? I was serious. He actually played that color on his DW kit before he passed away. It looked like Ronald McDonald. I'm sure he's the only one who could get away with it ;)

I'd fill the muffler holes too. What if you did a nice piano black lacquer on the inside? I was never fond of the silver.

I loved Tony but we didn't share the same taste in drum finishes. :)
Black on the inside huh? Interesting... I will have to think about that.
I always liked Slingerland's inside color.

Should I keep the stock lugs or go with tube lugs?
How about small DW style lugs?
Should I stay with the cast hoops?
Should I update the bass drum spurs?
Should I keep the T rods on the bass drum?
How about a modern bass drum rail cassette/suspension mount for the tom?
What about the bass drum hoops, Natural maple?
Should I have reinforcement rings installed in the toms and have 45 degree edges cut? The edges are round now.

I'm seeking ideas from all of the Drummerworld community?
So far I like the Champagne sparkle for the wrap. I will probably go with that classic finish.

Last edited:
Should I keep the stock lugs or go with tube lugs?

Stock

How about small DW style lugs?

Blasphemy! If you put those bulky DW lugs on that Gretsch, I'll personally fly over there and run you over with your own tractor.

Should I stay with the cast hoops?

Yep.

Should I update the bass drum spurs?
Should I keep the T rods on the bass drum?
How about a modern bass drum rail cassette/suspension mount for the tom?
What about the bass drum hoops, Natural maple?

I'm a traditionalist.....don't "de-Gretsch-ify". It's like cutting the bollocks off a dog. Sure they'll still sit, fetch and roll over.......but they ain't ever the same.

Should I have reinforcement rings installed in the toms and have 45 degree edges cut? The edges are round now.

30 degree edges and silver sealer all the way baby.

You bought "that great Gretsch sound" for a reason. That sound has never abandoned you....yet in its hour of need, you're all set to turn it into a bloody DW. What gives? If you're having a mid-life crisis, go out an buy a Porsche, a Harley and nab a 20-something blonde secretary with surgically enhanced appendages to go with it......don't take it out on a Gretsch!! :)

Thanks Pocket!
It's not a mid life crises, I'm just tossing around Ideas.
I am leaning toward keeping the stock look too.
The Re-rings with 30 degree edges will be a big change for the better in the sound.
Black bass hoops with a wrap band applied?
I appreciate the feedback.
You have helped me to make up my mind.

Black bass hoops with a wrap band applied?

I reckon just a re-wrap will be all that's needed to put some life back into the old girl. A change is as good as a holiday, as they say. Hoops could match or contrast, depending on how you think it'll finish up.

Or.....you could have 'em sanded down and glossed to look just like Harry's. :)

That's true, If I sand the hoops and I clear coat them they will lighten up.
That will go well with the Champagne wrap.
Getting away from the dark color will be a nice change.

Can someone suggest someone in the CT area who can do the Re-rings and edges for me?

IDK Bob, why don't you just build another kit with Vaughncraft or Keller shells? I don't feel good about modding a classic set like yours. And re-rings on a shell that doesn't need them? You are seriously going to change the tone. If you do go ahead with it, it's against mine and Jules better judgement. I say don't touch them. The wood is drying out after 37 years and you want to to re-wet it with glue and paint? I'd rather see you do this to orphaned Gretsch drums you can find on Ebay. Don't make us do an intervention lol.

Actually Larry,
I have the kit up for sale on the Hartford CT craigs.
It has been up for a month now and it seems that no one wants it.
I put the 4 shells up without snare for $800. There is also a 12 inch tom.
I also offered to throw in the 14" tom too if someone paid the asking price

I was going to sell it and save for a new USA built Gretsch.

I decided that I could re-work it instead because it hasn't sold.

I also thought about selling it piece by piece (hoops, shells, lugs, etc) on eBay but I decided to keep it all together.
I kept it together for all these years.

Fill the holes with dowels, wrap it in White Marine Pearl, and leave the rest alone.

Fill the holes with dowels, wrap it in White Marine Pearl, and leave the rest alone.
White Marine Pearl is the other wrap that I am considering. I had narrowed it down to the WMP and the Champagne before I posted this thread.
So both you and Larry think that I should keep the round edges.

I'm with Pocket as far as the other alterations go. Although I'll leave the tractor-murdering to him.
One thing though -- you could go natural on the hoops with a Champagne Sparkle inlay. That would make it really pop.

White Marine Pearl is the other wrap that I am considering. I had narrowed it down to the WMP and the Champagne before I posted this thread.
So both you and Larry think that I should keep the round edges.

I vote for Champagne Sparkle.

I'd say keep the cast hoops, maybe measure the hole spacing and see if they make tube lugs that fit. It'd give it a nice vintage look. I do hear they're heavy so they'll weigh it down a bit.

Love white marine pearl..and shiny buffed hardware on any kit. On an an old Gretsch its dreamy.

The round edges is what makes a Gretsch a Gretsch. Why take a chance on ruining the drums by changing the edges.

The round edges is what makes a Gretsch a Gretsch. Why take a chance on ruining the drums by changing the edges.

So if you cut 45 deg. edges on a new Gretsch kit will it cease to be a Gretsch? Does that make the name badge a liar?

I say re-cut em'! The Devil take these purists and their drum snobbery. My newest custom snare had a 45 edge with a roundover. Plenty of attack but still a good warm sound from that shell.

You'll want to find yourself a good drum guy. Mine is named Kevin but you can call yours whatever you want. Talk the project over with them and they'll be able to look the kit over and give you suggestions on what'll work best. I'd really suggest against cutting the edges yourself.

Back