Is the reso head on the bass drum effect the sound?

Overg

I was wondering if the reso head on the bass drum effect the sound , or it Is really doesn't matter which head you put on it, some store sales man told me that it really doesn't matter and a total waste of money.
I saw that remo for example have special bass heads just for the reso side, and they claim that it make a diffrenece..
What do u say?

To the untrained ear, most heads will sound the same on the reso side if you know how to tune properly. Most of the differences in sound come from adding ports and experimenting with different types of pillows/muffling.

The best sound I've achieved so far is an EMAD1 on the batter, with a standard Remo on the reso, with a 3 inch port, and a small square bed pillow inside.

However, if I were to ever justify spending $50+ on a reso head, It would most definitely be on the Evans Ported model (it's been a while, I can't remember the exact name)

It makes a difference... big or small difference depends on tuning, choice of batter heads, and your ear of course.

The guy in the store well... that's his opinion - but I would not agree at all.

The guy in the store well... that's his opinion.

I'd say that's his blatant lie. I don't know what that salesman had been smoking, but the truth is that the resonant head has a humongous contribution to the drum's sound. This can be easily experienced by buying a couple of PS3s, putting one just on the batter side and playing a bit (while recording), then putting the other on the resonant side and playing some more (while recording). The sound should change from a "Pt" to a "BOOM".

Now, one might have various opinions about what sounds good, but at least to me a double headed drum wins every time.

However, if I were to ever justify spending $50+ on a reso head, It would most definitely be on the Evans Ported model (it's been a while, I can't remember the exact name)

Are you talking about the one with all the little holes around the edge? I had one of those once. If you are strongly against a large hole in your head it does cut down on the sustain and upper overtones. I had it on a 22" Pearl MCM. I ended up cutting a hole in it for recording so it was for naught. It is a little more "lively" than a head with a 3"+ hole in it, but not a full on marching drum sound.

I'd say that's his blatant lie. I don't know what that salesman had been smoking, but the truth is that the resonant head has a humongous contribution to the drum's sound. This can be easily experienced by buying a couple of PS3s, putting one just on the batter side and playing a bit (while recording), then putting the other on the resonant side and playing some more (while recording). The sound should change from a "Pt" to a "BOOM".

Now, one might have various opinions about what sounds good, but at least to me a double headed drum wins every time.

Well I have Ps on the batter head and regular pearl stock head on the reso, what do you say to switch to remo ebony PS ? :)

Wavelength, I've seen the pics of your drums. That's an ingenious idea Kuma has putting the port on the side of the kick. I haven't seen any other company do that.
Would you still run a non-ported head if your actual bass drum was non-ported?

As pointed out, yes, it makes a big difference.

First, it's important to know that from behind the kit, the reso head differences may seem minimal, and you really can't tell what the drum sounds like either in front of the kit, or to a mic placed in the hole. But the correct batter and reso combinations absolutely govern the drum's ability to be played wide-open, and still use a mic without getting a lot of banginess.

My favorite combo is a coated EMAD, and EQ3 with hole for a reso. From the driver's seat it's not easy to hear exactly how the drum sounds, but I've heard it from out front and with a mic, and I know it sounds fabulous.

Of course, drum diameter and depth also govern which heads will sound best, so the above combination may not be suitable for a 14x20 kick, and it's impossible for a 26" kick: Evans doesn't make an EMAD for the 26... grrrr!

Bermuda

Wavelength, I've seen the pics of your drums. That's an ingenious idea Kuma has putting the port on the side of the kick. I haven't seen any other company do that. Would you still run a non-ported head if your actual bass drum was non-ported?

Sound techs seem to flip out if they can't find a hole of any kind in the bass drum. I like to be kind to these guys, so I'd definitely use a ported head if I was playing anything resembling pop or rock music.

By the way, Kumu is spelled with two Us... :)

Well I have Ps on the batter head and regular pearl stock head on the reso, what do you say to switch to remo ebony PS ? :)

IME, the (plain) Remo Ebony head has a lower pitch than the White film does.
The Black film seems more dense and less flexible when you tap on it to me.

I have one on one of my bass drums, and comparing it to another drum of the same size, with pretty similar tuning, the Ebony head has a deeper tone.

Coated heads on front contain the sound more, and make it sound a bit less boomy, and more solid.
I have one bass drum with Ludwig Coated Heavy on front and back with a 4" port and it sounds real full, very solid, with a nice punch.

A Fiberskyn front head is going to give the resonance of the kick a lower note than a White or Black film.

The PS3 types are going to shorten the sustain a lot compared to a plain film head too.

That's been my experience anyway.

Sound techs seem to flip out if they can't find a hole of any kind in the bass drum. I like to be kind to these guys, so I'd definitely use a ported head if I was playing anything resembling pop or rock music.

By the way, Kumu is spelled with two Us... :)

Oops...I knew that. Just fat-fingered it when I typed. Sorry.

Back