NEW OLD GRETSCH

KONA

Silver Member
I bought these Sept 09 locally on Craigslist and finished the restore Just before Christmas.

1958 Gretsch 3ply (floor is 6ply).....Gold Sparkle
DRUM SIZES:
1420bd, 5.514 snare, 812 rack & 1414 floor.

Tucked my own calf hide onto wood flesh-hoops of both heads on the toms (batter only snare). BD has Evans EMAD batter & Gretsch 10 O'Clock Ebony logo reso.

First two photos show generally the neglect I found them in....it was much worse in real life - lots or rust, damaged & missing parts and a whole lota dirt-n-grime.

I'm very happy with the outcome of my first "kit" restore.

Attachments

• BASS CLOSE (Custom).JPG
    BASS CLOSE (Custom).JPG
    220 KB · Views: 590
  • WRAP DAMAGE ON RACK TOM (Custom).JPG
    WRAP DAMAGE ON RACK TOM (Custom).JPG
    153 KB · Views: 573
  • bhnd 58 lg (5) (Custom).JPG
    bhnd 58 lg (5) (Custom).JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 573
  • DARK58GRETSCH (Custom).JPG
    DARK58GRETSCH (Custom).JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 555
Congrats! You did a fine job. How long have the calf hides been on the drums? I am curious to know how the sound changes over time and use.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

GJS

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.
It was a fun adventure restoring these.

Now thats hardcore.........
Thanks Harry - you're pretty hardcore yourself - haha....
and thanks for the latest photos/updates etc.! Keep em comin.....

Congrats! You did a fine job. How long have the calf hides been on the drums? I am curious to know how the sound changes over time and use.
Take care and thanks for sharing.
GJS

I keep tuning them up and down.......I like them high - I like them low - I like them in between! They absolutely "sing" when I tune them a little on the high side - incredible sound! I put the calf hide heads on just before Christmas.

why do I suddenly hear the infectious groove of the Jazz Messengers` "Moanin" ... :)
Nice Gary.......very nice!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2je_TvW549E

I love those guys! "Night in Tunisia" anyone.............rockin toms-n-bass, love it!

Great kit! It looks like it has alot of personality! I just love kits like that! Great job on the restoration!!

Thanks, you said it.......that's why I can't go into my drum room and not play them. My large kit is to die for.......and I love playing it. But since this new "child" arrived there has been serious neglect of that Purewood kit. There is something about all that aged wood and calf hide heads that I cannot resist. The K Zildjian Sizzle Ride (18.5") that came with the kit is one nice cymbal - valuable too I'm told.......for those that collect them. It has an old stamp 40's 50's??

Beautiful restoration job. They look like jewels.
Yes - thanks - that's what I call them - haha.

Gary that is one lovely kit now. You did a great job.

Ahhhh, another round badge Gretsch rescued.....this can bring a tear to one's eye. *sniff*

WOW! great job. I love the restoration.

not to be nit picky but just asking why did you use a black head on resonant batter?

Good question.
Before I thought about calf hide heads I bought a complete set of plastic heads. I looked at Fiberskyn - have those on a couple of snare drums. Then I thought Black looks really nice against Gold sparkle (set it up against my Purewoods). I have an EMAD on the Purewoods and the combination (Ebony&EMAD) was working for me. I went with the "new-for-2009" 10 O'clock Logo. I may still try calf heads on wood flesh-hoops on the bd later on. I wanted to try the natural hides on the toms and snare first - just to check it out.

Nice goin' K man!! You finally realized your dream!!!!
You are right on regarding that!

Most of us have a dream kit of some kind. We lay awake at night thinking about that special kit or special drum. I wonder if guitar players do that - they must.

A little story around that:
Decades ago I remember every so often thinking to myself I love the way those Gretsch drums sound & look. I finally bought myself a fairly large Gretsch Renown kit and was/am happy with it. With the tech. age upon us and personal computers we have access to huge amounts of "drum" info. In the last two years I have watched hundreds of video clips of drummers I only dreamt about. When I saw a drummer with an old Gretsch kit I would still get a feeling of "some day."

Well, that day arrived September 26th 2009 when I emailed the seller of these old Gretsch drums. I could not believe my eyes while surfing Craigslist looking at drums - not buy - just looking. We all do that - right? This kind of thing becomes available to "others" in "other" Cities - mostly in the good ole USA - not here in Nanaimo, BC Canada. I thought for sure these would be long gone. I was pretty excited when the seller said she still had them! I set up a meet. I could not justify to my wife or to me for that matter buying more drums. But my understanding wife - bless her - understood my desperate body language and verbal tones - haha.
They were advertised as 60's Gretsch - later to find out they are 58 (rack, snare & bass) floor tom probably 58-61 when they were bought new.

THE REST IS HISTORY - and I feel blessed to the max to own these little gems. For some reason if I had to get rid of all my drum gear, Val-je's, Purewoods, snares and everything.......it would not really bother me (old I guess - lol) except for this little kit - I would like to keep it over-and-above all my drum gear. I would not sell them for any amount.

Yes - I have finally realized my (drum) "dream."

Best wished to all of you in that regard,

Hats off to a splendid job!

Do share the cymbal setup...

The ride and hats came with the kit.
They are: 18.5 K (old stamp) Zildjian Sizzle Ride & 14" A Zildjian hats. The hi-hat and pedal came with the kit too - they're both Speed King. The cymbal stand also came with the kit - it's a Ludwig.

The crash, splash & bell are from my Purewood setup.
They are: 16 Agop Turk Crash/Ride, 10" Istanbul Agop Splash & 10" Alchemy Bell (one nice little cymbal!).

The woodblock came with the kit - I refinished it with Tung Oil and a couple of coats of clear Poly Minwax to harden it up.
AND - you have to have a cowbell! This is one I bought from Drums Only! (Ray Ayotte) in the early 70's.

The bd cymbal arm you see in my photos is a Ludwig/Slingerland. I have the original arm but most of the threads (very top) are worn off. It's still functional but the eBay Ludwig is in a little better shape.

AND - you have to have a cowbell!

Needs-More-Cowbell.jpg

Back