Best drum teacher in youtube

I did the most of my apprenticing starting around 1980. I would hit the big bars on my nights not already booked or inbetween bands, which was not all that often. I played steady all through my 20's. Not often I would catch a player way above the local caliber, one great one was Martin Deller of FM (some May have heard of their invisible man fiddle player, Nash the Slash)
Anyhow, it would be months or even years between seeing really great players like this and it would be like a watershed moment of discovery. Now a days, being able to just sit down and click and be able to search and watch greatness all the world has to offer in seconds makes my upbringing seem like horse and buggy compared to the space shuttle. I wonder though if it also takes some of the specialness of the great players and makes it appear like something easy to achieve, and with so many choices, takes away the awesomeness of their achievements. Trivialize the hard work and dedication it actually takes to get to that level.

FM? I remember them - great band; 'Phasers on Stun' what a blast from the past. .. and RIP Nash the Slash.. what a character!

A guy who is an excellent teacher is..
Tommy Igoe and his groove essentials

To be clear, there are tons of great drummers .. but only a handful of great drummers that can teach well.

Last edited:
After watching Bill Bachman's latest Hand to Hand flams YouTube video, I'm simply in awe (again) of how clear his instructional videos are to watch, as he takes the time to explain each step of the way. I can easily pick up what he is teaching and follow along enough to continue on my own after the video ends.
I haven't seen this skill set on virtually any other instructional presentation (except Jared Falk on many of his videos)-- even after watching over a hundred videos on YouTube.
Not all great drummers are great teachers, but IMO Bill has both qualities.

The norm for most instructional videos I've watched is to either (i) hurry up on the explanation, rushing off to showcase the drummer's chops (which is frustrating since there wasn't enough instructional time to soak up what they were trying to convey, they missed a critical detail you know had a question on, etc.) or (ii) have the instructor rambling on too much without a clear physical demonstration.

Bill doesn't skimp on the details of instruction, but doesn't over speak. There's enough explanation and presentation to complement each other and keep you engaged.
His videos are low tech enough (avoiding all those nasty visual explosions and sound effects that do nothing to teach) to give the clearest presentation of the sticking, and are demonstrated in multiple phases so you can easily study the technique as he speaks. He's also got a great sense of humor with an ego well-kept in check as he teaches (how rare is that)?
Bill- please keep those lessons coming!

Back