Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Great song by SRV.

Once again I can't tell if the drum part is a shuffle or straight quarters on the hats and ride.
Snare is pretty much on 2 and 4.

Any ideas?

This is for a band audtion I have coming up Saturday. Thanks!

I play straight quarters on my ride and alternate between a single snare stroke and a double each bar. The drumming for that song is very open to how you want to play it, so if you can hear what the Bassists walk sounds like, study the accents it'll give you a better idea of how to play, (at least I hope the bassist can walk =P ).

I prefer to shuffle it a bit. I like the way the tune feels when it is played that way. I do play it straight on occasion though and it works that way too. I would ask the band what they prefer at the audition and perhaps try it with them both ways. That will show them that you have a conscious knowledge of groove. Bands like a drummer who can change it up when asked to.

Great song by SRV.

Once again I can't tell if the drum part is a shuffle or straight quarters on the hats and ride.

If you can't tell, they can't tell.

This song is all guitar so just keep tempo and don't over play/ over think .......and stop at the right times :)

It doesn't mater what your right hand is doing on the ride. The guitar will be playing over the top of any subtleties anyway.

That tune is subtle - all the parts make it shuffle, so if you played nothing but straight quarters, it's going to sound good provided the guitar and bass play their parts correctly. I approach shuffles that way nowadays because if I intentionally try to shuffle everything all by myself, then it sounds like I'm a freshman in college trying to be cool.

I play this song with a couple different bands. I play it as a Texas Shuffle, all of it on the ride cymbal, no hi-hats. I believe that's what Chris Layton did, both on the record and on live clips I've seen. I get lots of compliments on the shuffle I play on that tune, so it seems to please other musicians to use that approach.

Another tune that comes to mind is Roadhouse Blues. That tune can be played several different ways. I currently play it with one of the bands that I play with and we play it differently every time. We all also each take a solo during our rendition of the Doors classic.

Back