SJC, yay or nay....

So I'm new here and I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, has anyone played or own SJC drums. Just wondering if they are all hype or quality stuff.

Short answer: Yes.

Yes they are "high quality", but that has to be qualified with the fact that they're using Keller shells, which is where that high quality is coming from.

However, there are a TON of other drum builders that also use Keller, both large and small, so they're not doing anything really unique, and the real rub is that they charge a FORTUNE for their kits.

Yeah, they put on some pretty finishes and will cut your wraps into fashionable stripes then throw on a Fiberskyn reso to make it look all classy, but yeah ... highway robbery, if you ask me. Buyer beware.

I'd never throw them any business to be perfectly honest. Too many other options just as good for a fraction of the price.

So I'm new here and I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, has anyone played or own SJC drums. Just wondering if they are all hype or quality stuff.

I think the number one question you should ask yourself is.....why custom drums.I there nothing that all the mainstream companies can't offer you,including better warrentees,and an infinitly wider selection of drum shell designs?

If different it what you seek and you have a larger sum os discressionarry cash,Guru Drums,George Way,C & C, just to name a few that make steam bent,stave,and segmented shells.

Also,custom drums have terrible resale value,much worse then the major manufacturers,and sell for sometime 50% or more than retail price.

Lastly,don't swallow that endorser discount BS.Buy from a major manufacturer,unless they can't give what you need in terms of sound.

Steve B

Last edited:
Short answer: Yes.

Yes they are "high quality", but that has to be qualified with the fact that they're using Keller shells, which is where that high quality is coming from.

However, there are a TON of other drum builders that also use Keller, both large and small, so they're not doing anything really unique, and the real rub is that they charge a FORTUNE for their kits.

Yeah, they put on some pretty finishes and will cut your wraps into fashionable stripes then throw on a Fiberskyn reso to make it look all classy, but yeah ... highway robbery, if you ask me. Buyer beware.

I'd never throw them any business to be perfectly honest. Too many other options just as good for a fraction of the price.

Well, that said, I would say that if there is any drumset (including this SJC) that you really like, then I would go for it. It's all about playing what you want to play. SJC isn't the only one charging people an arm-and-a-leg for their stuff, so there's plenty of companies to throw your money away at, not just them. What else are you interested in? Any of the big names? Or are you trying to stay in that 'boutique' realm?

I should add that I play what might be considered a boutique Keller kit, but done by a local guy (Jerry Garcia) that didn't try any hype tricks or making it sound like an endorsement. The cost was just over half what a DW equivalent would have been.

Nothing wrong with Keller. This is my 2nd Garcia and I've been playing it for 15 years now.

SJC can make nice kits, I actually heard one at NAMM (Tre Cool's vintage shell kit.) Sadly, that's the only SJC kit I've heard at NAMM over the years that sounded good, and I've never heard (or even seen) one in a store or in person.

The most important thing when buying something that makes a sound is, you have to hear it. Do NOT buy anything on reputation alone, until you've heard it. yes, if you've heard a Supra and like it, you can be confident about buying one somewhere else, sometime later, with the assurance that it will sound the same.

But wood is different. Each drum is different, even from the same manufacturer. And each builder that gets a Keller shell in their hands treats it a little different, so hearing one Keller builder's drum doesn't mean another's will sound the same. You have to hear the drum you're buying, or you have to know that there's a consistency factor, such as a metal or fiberglass shell. Even then, you need to hear that so you know what you're getting into.

If I was buying a kit, I'd go hear it in a store, pick the one that sounds best to me, and then buy that kit. That applies to most cymbals, too. If you can't hear the product in person, you're taking a real chance buying it with the expectation that it will sound the way you want.

To answer the other part of your question, yes, there is a lot of hype with them, and it seems to revolve around finishes and other treatments (like the idiotic kick-inside-a-kick from 2013!) and an artist roster consisting of mostly unknown names & artist affiliations.

Bermuda

I should add that I play what might be considered a boutique Keller kit, but done by a local guy (Jerry Garcia) that didn't try any hype tricks or making it sound like an endorsement. The cost was just over half what a DW equivalent would have been.

Nothing wrong with Keller. This is my 2nd Garcia and I've been playing it for 15 years now.

I think I know which Jerry Garcia you're talking about. I met him when we did the Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Alumni Corps back in '07 - he was making sets and although I noted that they were very generic, they were good solid, working drums. Kinda' like Pearl's from the 80s. Good shells, solid hardware, something that works.

I looked into SJC and decided they were way too expensive for what you actually get.

Nothing wrong with Keller shells. I know people can buy pre drilled Kellers with cut bearing edges with hardware for a fraction of the price.

I passed on SJC.

I think I know which Jerry Garcia you're talking about. I met him when we did the Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Alumni Corps back in '07 - he was making sets and although I noted that they were very generic, they were good solid, working drums. Kinda' like Pearl's from the 80s. Good shells, solid hardware, something that works.
Yeah, that's probably him. He's done a lot of work with drum & bugle corps and is himself a really great drummer.

At first (early '90s) he was staining and hand oiling most shells (as both my kits were) but he later gravitated to wraps - can't say I blame him as it's a lot less work. And you're right, solid drums and hardware but simple and straightforward as can be.

You really don't think he'll come back ,just because we didn't give SJC a glowing review.....I'm shocked.:):):):

Steve B

I was expecting to get a reply that read something like:

"So I'm thinking of getting a 20x20 bass drum with 12x6 and 16x12 toms. What do you think of that. Also what finish do you think I should get? Also my friend told me that the doublewide hoop adds more bass to the bass drum."

Friend of mine used to play an SJC kit and it sounded great - but then again, he also paid a boatload for it... so I'd hope it sounded great. Now he's switched to another "custom" builder, who makes stave drums, but still builds the rest of the kits out of Keller shells. He seems more happy with the new kit, but I know he overpaid on that one far too much as well.

I used to own a C&C kit from when they were using Keller shells. It was a great sounding set, but the price on it was insane. I now play a Yamaha Oak Custom, which was far cheaper and sounds just as good, if not better.

SJC just came out with those new Walnut Satin kits that start at $1500 for the 22x18 kick, 16x14" floor and 12x8" rack, which is much more attractive in price than any of their "custom" kits. I think at that price, you wouldn't suffer much in resale value and it's really the only time I've ever been intrigued by a "custom" builder's offerings... but I doubt they're any better than my Yammies ;)

I was expecting to get a reply that read something like:

"So I'm thinking of getting a 20x20 bass drum with 12x6 and 16x12 toms. What do you think of that. Also what finish do you think I should get? Also my friend told me that the doublewide hoop adds more bass to the bass drum."

That was my thoughts as well " I need a...a 20x20 1/2 inch kick,11x6 1/4 rack and 15x12 1/3 floor tom,in fusia perloid double special lacquer stain,with my logo,and 9 " deep titanium kick hoops, with fuel injection, to project the sound that will liquify ear drums,and sterilize a cat at 10 meters.Those sizes will give me the sound I'm looking for.......mommys paying so who cares about cost or resale........besides I play combat,screamo,folk,prog,in line skating,fantasy,rock climbing,death,resurection metal..Even we don't know what that is.We'll be going on tour ,as soon as we can raise the money to do it,and will be opening for the Lawrence Welk all star tribute polka band....peace out......:):):)

Steve B

Also my friend told me that the doublewide hoop adds more bass to the bass drum.

That's not true. But the extended hoops do channel and focus the sound for extra punch and presence out front. You can mic the kick from 8 feet away and it sounds like it's inside the drum!

Bermuda

The OP hasn't even signed on for two days.I guess he got the answer he wanted at the Pearl forum.:):):)

Steve B

Back