THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

The sound is big and will be dryer today when I get a new Evans head for it. Best snare I have.

I just finished my first DIY project with a 7x13 maple keller...turned out pretty rad.

IMG_0384.jpg

Here's what it sounds like...

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpHpg4WblWI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpHpg4WblWI[/URL]

Here are a few I just picked up that I can recommend. Crush 7 x 14 Acrylic with die cast hoops. Crush 6.5 x 14 brushed aluminum snare with stick saver hoops, Crush 5.5 x 14 black transparent ash snare with stick saver hoops, all I did was put an Evans PSRD on these with the stock reso and wires and they all sound fantastic. Then an OCDP 7 x 13 chestnut ash snare with die cast hoops and trick throw off, I put an Evans PCRD hazy 300 and puresound blasters on it, sounds excellent!

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Last edited:
I just picked up this 6.5 X 14 GMS Walnut PVS snare a few weeks ago and it's just fantastic for the price. GMS has been making high quality drums for many years but does not have the notoriety that other companies enjoy. They are made here in the US in Long Island. I just fell in love with this only, in fact, by hearing it on youtube played by Shane from the New Hampshire Drum Center,
I like it tuned up pretty high ala Bruford. It's got a beautiful loud crack with a very low bottom. Really cuts through the band.
Just my two cents.

Attachments

• 539741_4290734111918_2030785617_n.jpg
    539741_4290734111918_2030785617_n.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,992
Last edited:
Mid 90's Limited edition Bronze shell Ludwig Black Beauty!

Attachments

• 2 Black Beautiful 14 004.jpg
    2 Black Beautiful 14 004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,938
  • 1 Black Beautiful re-size.jpg
    1 Black Beautiful re-size.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,941
I just got a Pork Pie Pig Lite 6 x 14 acrylic snare, and I absolutely love it! I really wish they'd come in blue starlite--which is what I want the rest of my acrylic setup to be--but it still looks (and sounds) great. ^__^

2hpqa0p.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, while I have a preference to specific drums based on their quality I also believe that if you the drummer have good technique and are clever with a drum key and a quality drum head that you do not need to spend a lot of money.

With that being said I am a Pearl drums guy. I have three Sensitone snare drums: Steel, Brass and Aluminum and I have never had any problems with them either live or in the studio. The Steel and Brass and 5.5 x 14 and the Aluminum is 5 x 14. No problems, ever! The 5.5 depth works well either cranked up or looser even at times sounding similar to a depth common in a snare that is 6.5 in depth. I also tend to use coated Remo Ambassador heads but have also found that a coated 2-ply head also works well.

You are right, right heads and tuning can make any drum sound good, but quality drum gives you more opportunities: tuning-wise, sensitivity-wise etc. But I agree that you dont need to spend a lot of money to sound good.

Hi Everyone,
Check out my new website when you get a minute. The production is back up and running. I'd like to hear your thoughts, cheers!

www.firchie.com

Attachments

• FirchieDrumsLogoformPhoto_1200x722.jpg
    FirchieDrumsLogoformPhoto_1200x722.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,675
  • BLACK.png
    BLACK.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 2,747
Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

My favorite snare drum is a 5.5x13 maple DW Craviotto a great all around drum with a coated powerstroke 3 this drum can be comfortable anywhere from moderate jazz through hard rock. This drum is the perfect blend of warmth and cut. I get compliments from other drummers and soundmen all the time.

I have DW/Craviotto 5.5x13 single ply maple in natural oil finish with brass hardware and it is also one of my favorites... I have 11 snares and sometimes I have 11 different favorites lol!

Last edited:
Can't wait to get my hands on my new snare this coming Thursday!!! Made by a friend of mine (Evolution drums) in Montreal. Black walnut, one ply steambent shell / Satin finish, 14X7. The name is Radio King... just like the hardware :eek:) Round edge with 30 degree cut inside. Will be trying an ST Dry on top. :eek:)))

Attachments

• IMG_6879-1.jpg
    IMG_6879-1.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 2,586
  • IMG_6883-1.jpg
    IMG_6883-1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 2,561
  • IMG_6878-1.jpg
    IMG_6878-1.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 2,553
2 New Purchases

These 2 drums were on my wish list and I had the opportunity to buy both, so I did. A 1966 Slingerland Artist model, which is a solid wood shell w/ re-rings. The other is a Bronze Supraphonic. Both needed a bit of work, but nothing outrageous. I added new heads and Puresound snares on both. Also added nylon tension rod washers on both. The strainer on the Supra was shot, so I added a P-86 strainer, which is very nice.

The Supra is interesting. Probably the driest sounding snare I've played. It has a nice short sustained ring to it, but very dry besides that. Seems best suited to low volume situations or recording.

The Slingy is one hot drum. It can go from subtle to loud. It has a deep snare bed, so is fairly sensitive. But man does it have a crack to it, aided by the stick saver hoops. Nice woody rimshots that will cut through the mix. It has all the original hardware, 'cept the wires.

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 2,531
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 2,536
I love all the 3 snares I own

1. DW performance series 14 x 6.5 sapphire blue (came with the kit)

2. Brady Spotted Gum 14 x 6.5 (My fave by small margin...probably bcuz it cost me the most out of the 3 but I got my money's worth. Awesome sounding & superbly built).

3. Ludwig Supraphonic LM400 1969, 10 lugs with baseball bat muffler (pic soon). The sound will never fail, very very happy I purchased this.

Attachments

• P1000388.jpg
    P1000388.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,456
  • My Brady Spotted Gum.jpg
    My Brady Spotted Gum.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,215
I just went through all of the pages of this thread, and there are some really nice snares in it! I guess I'll play and post a few pics of some of mine.

1. DW Collectors 6x14 edge in Black Oyster Glass finish
2. DW/Craviotto Solid ply snare 5.5x13 with brass hardware
3. Pearl Marvin "Smitty" Smith copper 4x14 snare. ( I have since put black nickel die-cast hoops on this one.)
4. Yamaha Elvin Jones 7x14 SIgnature snare with wood hoops 19 ply wood hoops.

And I threw in a pic of my jammin in the studio just because I had it!

Attachments

• elvin snare.jpg
    elvin snare.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,147
  • smitty.jpg
    smitty.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,132
  • craviotto 3.jpg
    craviotto 3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,082
  • craviotto 2.jpg
    craviotto 2.jpg