Ok, do your worst ;)

Someday this will be the answer to a trivia question--Beatloaf's first guest. Loved it.
I doubt it - Ok, maybe, but for all the wrong reasons. Actually, David was the first published Beatloaf guest. There was another drummer who tracked before David I think. Can't remember his name (great player), but his episode hasn't been published yet.

Wish I'd had time to prepare. I wouldn't have been so stumbling in my presentation. Probably adjusted the kit so I didn't miss the damn cymbal too ;)

That is actually quite cool Andy and I also think it's good to show these type of licks in the Beatloaf series, so tap on the back, good job :)

Andy, seeing you and hearing you chat brought back good memories of London :)

I'd be even less comfortable than you were if put in that position, so I can't judge.

I love the realisation on your face; it seems you've never once thought about the fact that you lead that triplet with your left hand.

And yeah, it really is not that easy to do. Granted, my left hand fails at just about everything in life, but I can't fluently play a hand/foot combo leading with my left hand (or foot, for that matter).

I love the realisation on your face; it seems you've never once thought about the fact that you lead that triplet with your left hand.

And yeah, it really is not that easy to do. Granted, my left hand fails at just about everything in life, but I can't fluently play a hand/foot combo leading with my left hand (or foot, for that matter).
I used to use that fill (& variations) way back in the day, so I suppose it surprised me that anyone would question it. I can do the same fill right hand lead no problem, & I probably use right hand lead for most triplet stuff I do.

My left hand on snare sucks royally (must practice that one day), but I use left hand lead "in groove" fills a lot, & a sprinkling of left hand lead grooves too, so I guess I'm kind of used to placing the left around toms quite freely. I chose left hand lead for these two fills simply because it suits in groove hand placement & the "run down the toms" vibe.

Very cool, nice fill too :).

Mark
Thank you :)

Andy, seeing you and hearing you chat brought back good memories of London :)

I'd be even less comfortable than you were if put in that position, so I can't judge.
Ah, London. The dulcet tones of a confused overly verbal, & slightly eccentric Englishman ;)

That is actually quite cool Andy and I also think it's good to show these type of licks in the Beatloaf series, so tap on the back, good job :)
Beatloaf has enough really clever stuff going on already, so a bit of billy basic rock fill stuff is welcome I suppose. I can't pretend it was a conscious choice though - it was the first thing that came into my head! If asked to do it again, I'd probably choose something a bit more slick - something David Floegel can't do (read = rare), just to stroke my own ego a bit ;)

I really think this is my favourite Beatloaf session. Yep, I even prefer it to dear David's - although it's a close-run thing ;)

Awesome Andy. Now you're a youtube star ;)
"Chortle" - that won't be happening anytime soon my Nordic friend!

I really think this is my favourite Beatloaf session. Yep, I even prefer it to dear David's - although it's a close-run thing ;)
FFS don't tell David that. He's a sensitive soul ;) I strongly suspect you've based your decision on the relative impossibility of replicating Davids fill vs. the ease of replicating mine :)

Why would I do my worst, when it looks like you've just done yours?

Zing!

Kidding aside, I love that lick, use it or variations a lot since it fits with so many main grooves.

Andy the kit sounds truly awesome. You sounded good too for what little you played-jibber jabber jibber jabber, talk, talk, talk. hee,hee,hee.

I have to echo Bo Elder's sentiments.. Don't sell yourself so short mate. Your ease of motion around the kit is clearly evident and quite impressive considering the pressure of the situation.

Last edited:
I'm going to jump in line behind Bo and TapTaior here, and I say it with a smile. A humble spirit is a good thing, but you pretty much always go to self deprecation regarding your playing, and you're too harsh in your assessment.

I like your playing Andy, and I think that you did a good job in the video.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :) Yes, I am harsh on myself, & no, I don't do it to attract ego stroking praise. You see, I spend most of my professional drumming life around players who really can play, & I mean play with a breadth of repertoire that places my meagre offerings into stark context. If I'm truthful, I'm pretty good at what I do, actually, better than many at what I do, but what I do is hugely limited. Lucky for me, what I do is 80% of what's required on most playing situations I encounter. My lack of overall ability, my woeful attention to practice/advancement of any kind, is why I've taken on my latest gig. It pushes me, it's outside of my sphere of operation, I don't even like most of the material. That's good for me, I think.

You may laugh at this, but my technical highlight of the year was pulling out a couple of fills that David Floegel can't do. They're me all over, & hark back to the day when I actually had something to offer to the scene. I'm an inherently lazy bastard when it comes to practice. One of these days I'll actually find the time & inclination to woodshed. Until then, I grow organically through live playing experience. Maybe someday, I'll become the player I was 30 years ago. From that foundation, I could really spring forward.

Then there's the (welcome) reality check. LDS jam night last weekend. I'm so outclassed it's untrue. Kinda happy about that because it's a pressure off situation, but it keeps me grounded, as if I ever needed that.

Sorry for the half book, I've had wine :)

Back