Drumming footwear

jm_drummer

I am conducting some research about what types of footwear drummers wear for performance and comfort.

My favourite type of footwear to wear is general flat shoes from Topman, and footwear similar to that.

What do other people find best?

I have also got a link to a poll which is just 1 question so if you could please answer the question it will be greatly appreciated and will only take about 10 seconds.

www.snappoll.com/poll/329059.php

thanks

I play bare foot, don't ask why, I don't know, just seems to work for me.

When I was starting out, I liked using shoes with high friction soles: it helped controlling the pedals and made playing loud easier. As my technique developed, I started preferring fairly slick soles, and nowadays I find almost impossible to play with high friction soles. Go figure...

Depending on how I feel, either Chuck Taylors or plain ol' socks.

Generally, most shoes will work for me provided they are not too bulky, have some flex, and have some grip in the sole. I've worn Vans and various other sneakers, but also grip soled loafers for dress up gigs. Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi shoes are nice. Very light, very flexible, with a thin rubber sole. You can really feel the pedals through them. I had to put mine on order though. I think they became popular after Uma Thurman wore them in Kill Bill.

i have never given this thought until now, i always play with bare feet whats the advantage of waring shoes? i could imagine slick shoes would be nice for sliding into the bass pedal. is this the purpose of slick healed shoes?
I really like playing barefoot, but I forced myself to become accustomed to playing with shoes once I started gigging. It's just more practical and is usually better for appearances sake, especially for a "dressy" gig.

I use TUSA "reef-walkers" the kind of shoes you wear at whlie snorkling/diving that are very light, porous and grippy. They cost about 10-15 bux a pair and can be found at most sporting goods stores.

F

I really like playing barefoot, but I forced myself to become accustomed to playing with shoes once I started gigging. It's just more practical and is usually better for appearances sake, especially for a "dressy" gig.

yea , i ware shoes and tie them loosely then slip them off when i'm behind the set at the gig. no complaints so far, but then again i dont think this would fly at a a wedding, hmm ok well i have some flat foot shoes. one pair is pretty slick im gonna try it

I don't like playing in Chuck Taylors because they come up to my ankles. I like my ankles to be unencumbered when I play.

I have some Nike sneakers that my wife gave me. They're made of leather and they're black with big rubber soles. They don't slip on the pedals, they're comfortable and anyway that's that I wear when I play.

I wear whatever's on my feet that day. Sneakers, loafers, dress shoes, etc. I have even played (quite often) in combat boots. I prefer to have some ankle flexibility, and the shoe needs to breathe somewhat, so that I don't have soaking wet feet afterwards.

Back