Best ideas in drum equipment?

Cymbal crowns. Death to cymbal wingnuts.

Really comfy gas charged hydraulic thrones.....mmmm bouncy...cushy....Ooooohooooo

Plus what everybody else said.

I don't know if the Camco or the Gretsch Floating Action came first, but that has to be the best basic pedal design ever.

And crappy little 1950's BD mounted ride cymbal holders. One was included with a used set I bought, and I love it- it has 25% of the mass of even my DW flat base cymbal stands, and I can squeeze my set into much tighter spaces.

I think one of the truly great innovations was the tall hi hat stand that replaced the sock cymbal pedal. The drummer who invented it played with Fletcher Hendersons band and for the life of me I can't think of his name now.

The other innovation equally as profound was of course the bass drum pedal designed by Ludwig.

Another truly profound innovation is the snare wire.

Tuning lugs replacing rope was another of these truly important developments. This also applies to hand drums such as congas and bongos.

The synthetic drumhead is another.

The ride cymbal.

The drum rack is another. Chick Webb's wonderful rack on wheels instantly comes to mind. But this particular development was not practical when tours were usually propelled by old automobiles with poor suspension and a lack of space coupled with one band boy, if the band was lucky. It seems that it wasn't until the 80's when they became popular due to light weight materials being used in their construction.

One of my all time favorites is the cowbell and the folktale that tells of it's entry into music.

To be consise: A percussionist in Havana went shopping at his wife's, er, request. While at the shops he met some mates and went to the bar. After consuming a quantity of rum he decided to go home. Crossing a paddock he was overcome by alcohol and lay down and slept. Waking later on and realizing he was due at a gig but did not have his bongos, he stole a cowbell from a cow and took that to the gig. Everyone loved it and so an old fashioned bovine tracking device became an instrument.

Outstanding!

Drum cases. There was a time they did not exist.

The humble drum stick bag.

Tension pedals on timpani.

Electronic percussion and samplers.

The double bass drum drum set.

The addition of Chinese tom toms to the drum set.

Drum set notation. We take it for granted so much I do not even know who invented it???

Folding legs and spurs on bass drums.

There have been so many. But it is strange, and another mentioned it earlier, that simple things like stick backs took so long to be invented while the world around the drummer changed so much. In the big scheme of things hardly any innovations took place during the period between the Wright brothers first flight to Armstrong landing on the moon.

The players themselves were a different story.

Along with everything already mentioned... The multi-clamp.

You can now mount 10 cymbals and 6 drums on one single tripod base.

I have at least 12 of these things and have cut down on so much hardware that I need to find a new workout to replace the one I used to get lugging around a ton of metal. Love em!

larger wingnuts/wing nuts in general. my ludwig kit originally came with a hex nut and a wrench to attach the toms to the tom stand. all the hardware used to be these tiny little wing nuts that were really hard to get off. Now all the hardware has big ergonomic wingnuts so you can get leverage on them and things stay put.

knurled floortom legs. my ludwig kit has straight legs with no knurling and it never stays put.

From a "what makes the biggest difference to the sound" perspective, it has to be the synthetic drum head.

Agree with all the others with the exception of Moongel. Belongs in the other thread!

Double bass pedals, rotating hi hat stand legs.

+1 to the boom arm folding into the tube.

ust me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sliced Bread?...so...this is how far we've come?...

I would put synthetic heads as no. 1

...hickory drum sticks no. 2.

...drum suspension systems no. 3. (otherwise we would be hitting drums on that rested on the floor).

i like the fact that most modern drum hardware has screws that can be tightened easily with a drum key (or with your fingers). you don't need to carry around any other type of wrench.

i don't know if many of you guys remember, but bass drum spurs used to suck! they were only strong enough to keep the drum from rolling sideways. you couldn't rely on them to hold the front of the drum off the floor. they wouldn't dig into the carpet enough to keep the drum from sliding forward.

modern bass drum spurs are heavy duty and very strong. they're easily strong enough to hold the drum off the floor. their length and angle can be adjusted. the rubber feet can be screwed in to reveal a metal spike that can really dig into the carpet. they are WAY better than the spurs on vintage kits.

I second memory locks and infinitely adjustable tom mounts, even though they're opposites.

Wy, thanks for the interesting history lesson. Nice :) Is this the drummer you were thinking of?

The brash choke cymbal was slowly replaced in favor of the newly invented hi-hat, which consists of two cymbals on a stand that are made to hit each other by use of a peddle [sic]. By the early Thirties the choke cymbal was no longer heard in jazz bands. Kaiser Marshall, Fletcher Henderson's drummer in the early Thirties reflects the newer style with a smooth 4/4 on the hi-hat or the snare and less use of complex accompaniment.​

Ref: The Evolution of Jazz Drumming

A drummer using choke cymbal to great effect in a contemporary setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnJCTdWgk0g (if you call the 1970s contemporary).

Back to the topic, I'm impressed with Pearl's Rhythm Traveler. It obviously doesn't have the richness of regular drum sets but it has its own pleasing character. It's also light and compact for relatively pain-free lugging and storage, plus it has a small footprint.

Last edited:
two of the best drum ideas ever: pearl reference drums & pearl cymbal locks...... Murdock the Drummer

Its got to be the 18" floor tom. I achieved a personal best last night by using it to support four pints of beer, two ashtrays and a set-list.

The throne with the backrest!!
It's the greatest by far, if you're an old geezer like me. Ahhhhh!

I would say the advancement of the double bass pedal. Makes it so much more cheap than to buy two bass drums and two pedals.

Back