Drum Care

Smackenstiltskins

Hello,
I recently purchased my first really fine set of drums. I'm concerned that they may not be in a great location. Right now they're set up in my basement next to an outside wall. There is a doggy door going outside, and the cold wind can really blow though that little door. In addition, during the day, the sun can shine through a window making it pretty warm. I keep the blinds closed, but the temperature still varies quite a bit. Do I need to find a better location? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Garages and basements are not the ideal places to keep drums. Humidity, temperature changes, and bright sun will do nothing but harm the drums. Not sure what your options are but the basment is not the best place unless you can keep the temp. constant and the humidity low.

Well alot of varying temperature may not necessarily affect the drums themselves, but they definitely will throw off the tuning. When the temperature varies like that it is very hard for the drums to hold a tune. If you can find a different spot I would definitely move there. However, besides tuning there really is not much of a problem with your current location.

Drums are pretty tough but prolonged exposure to temp and humidity extremes can be detrimental over time. You should seek a solution. Build a room in the basement and put the drums on a wood riser to get them off of the damp floor. Buy a small room heater for the winter and a dehumidifier for the summer and place it in the room that you build.

Back