Cymbal Crashes using traditional grip

photon

Since I was young I played match grip and then about three years ago switched to traditional and now for me there is no going back, I can now do things with my left hand that were never possible before with matched, particularly rudimental stuff.

The problem I'm having is generating power for cymbal crashes with my left hand. I suppose I should be employing more of a moller style whipping motion...just a matter of more practice I suppose.

I was looking for others to share their experience on how they overcame this...

Thanks

Ahhh yes I have the very same problem, and I'm sure thousands of others are in the same situation.

One thing I have found useful is (assuming you're right handed) tilting your primary crash to the right a bit, so you can reach a bit better if you know what I mean.

Also, talk to Todd Sucherman, I've seen clips of his DVD where he uses very powerful LH strokes on his cymbals with trad.

If you use traditional grip, the best way to crash is to hit the cymbal on the side. Watch this video of Tommy Igoe. Fast-forward (watch it all if you want - he's amazing..) to 4:55. Watch how he crashes. It's hard to explain, so I think you'll get it by seeing someone do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxyejO7enLA

Find some video of Stanton Moore or Steve Ferrone and watch their technique. They are both primarily traditional grip players.

It's no big deal really. You just kind of flip the stick up in between the tips of your middle and ring finger and turn your wrist a bit.
You will actually be pushing down on the stick with the middle finger as you strike the cymbal. Your wrist will be in the same position as if you were playing matched grip only the stick will be in the trad position between your fingers.

I hope that this makes sense. It was hard to put it into words.

Back