Little Jazz Drumset

vox_deorum

Hi all,

I'm looking for a tiny drumset for jazz gigs around a college campus. Something small I can move easily, with a small bass drum. Budget is somewhere between $500-$1000. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mapex Saturn Manhattan, used without a P-85 snare strainer. Preferably a sexy one. :)
Actually that is a good Jazz kit. I know because I own a Mapex Saturn Manhattan with a 14"x18" bass drum.
Sonore Safari also comes to mind. I had one of those.
Pearl Rhythm Traveller. I had one of those too :)
Taye Go Kit is another good one.
Tama Silverstar
Ludwig Club Date Jazzette

Tama Silverstar jazz setup (birch shells) is a great option, or you could get a Mapex Mydentity maple kit 18/14/12 for probably $700-ish. You could even get a 14x16 floor with the Mapex Mydentity, save even more change, and convert the 16 into a bass drum--easier to carry and should still sound good.

You should be able to find a Catalina Club Jazz kit between $600 and $800 and if you're really lucky even less.

They are great sounding drums and have some beautiful finishes.

There are a lot of great drums out there for the price you're willing to pay. Gretsch hold there own and more when it comes to value for your money.

Here's an in-store demo

this one is demoed with a bass player - wmp finish....beauty!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOkw7TM51c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_MEj6k1js

New Sonor Safari's trade for $389 and used way less than that. They are easily tweaked to give big sounds by simply changing the stock heads. I love my set and use it in small venues. The 16 x 16 bass drum delivers a big thump and punch with new heads. Mounted tom w/Ambassador coated batter sounds hugely resonant, floor tom with same can be tuned really deep if desired. Hardware is well designed, sturdy and functional.

I suggest looking at the Sonor Players kit. After having an indifferent experience with a bass drum lift, I'm nervous carting around a bass drum that needs one. The Sonor Players kit is a 12x20 (or 10x20?) bass drum and that's what saves space - the depth, not necessarily the diameter. And with a shallower bass drum, much easier to move, bigger sound, and no lift for the pedal. Larry just got a shell pack for $449 - a great price too.

The Sonor kit would be the way I'd go too.....mostly because of the 20" bd that does NOT need a lift kit. Like you can probably tell.....I'm more of a Gretsch guy....but hey....it's about the drums...and Sonor is no shabby drum maker. My vote here is the Sonor Jungle kit with the 10x20 bd.

...I'm looking for a tiny drumset for jazz gigs around a college campus. Something small I can move easily, with a small bass drum....

Depends on just how tiny you're willing to go, I guess.
About the smallest commercially available kit I've seen is the Sonor Martini - it's got a 14" bass drum and small toms:

http://us.sonor.com/instruments/drums/special-edition-series/martini-se/

fbc859caf2.jpg

That's smaller than I would get though.

Last edited:
wow thank you everyone for some excellent suggestions. it's time for me to go exploring!

any suggestions on cymbals? i want a simple hihat, ride, and crash setup. i'm planning to accompany an acapella group, so as much as i will be playing softly i want a ride with soft reverb that i can swing lightly on.

i haven't bought a set in ages, but here in particular i'm completely clueless. would anything labelled 'jazz cymbal' do?

thanks.

The Sonor kit would be the way I'd go too.....mostly because of the 20" bd that does NOT need a lift kit. Like you can probably tell.....I'm more of a Gretsch guy....but hey....it's about the drums...and Sonor is no shabby drum maker. My vote here is the Sonor Jungle kit with the 10x20 bd.

I play an 18 inch bass drum with no lift. I just shorten the shaft. Really, if you're going to play a smaller drum, you need to scale down the beater as well. A long shaft produces more energy and is meant for a bigger drum.

...any suggestions on cymbals? i want a simple hihat, ride, and crash setup. i'm planning to accompany an acapella group, so as much as i will be playing softly i want a ride with soft reverb that i can swing lightly on...

If you want to keep things simple, consider getting a used Zildian Sweet Ride.
It's got a nice wash to it, and doubles up nicely as a crash.
A 2 for 1 cymbal.
13" hi hats - I like Zildjian New Beats.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz is my second kit. Awesome kit for the $ and a ton of punch if you need it.

Just posted in "For Sale" Haha

Attachments

• 00m0m_1pQnp0NI5iN_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_1pQnp0NI5iN_600x450.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 597
A friend of mine recently acquired a Silverstar birch ply kit with a 16" kick drum.
I got a few minutes of play time on it, and it was very satisfying. And this was tuned up with factory heads. I know he'll be sporting Aquarians next time I get at it, and I expect things will only improve. I would recommend an audition on one of these.

Also, Yamaha made a Manute Katche (sp?) small kit which are good quality and good sounding rigs. I've seen some outstanding deals on these used.

Happy hunting!

Back