Band recording studio/rehearsal space build diary

Yeah, we had a couple of weeks where we had to deal with various other stuff in there, and then there was an easter holiday in there somewhere too. However, we got back into it last weekend, and we'll be doing more work tonight. I'll be posting a new installment late tonight or early tomorrow. We're getting there :)

And we're back!

Today's entry: April 26, 2012

Keep building walls. And then more walls. And then more f%#¤*$! walls.
12.jpg

The room is now finally... back to looking like it did when we started. WTF? OK, so all these walls are now A LOT more soundproof than they were. Once the wall at the far end of the room is filled in with plasterboards and insulation, we'll finally start constructing the floating room.

(Click to embiggen)

Last edited:
Wow Naige, I've been so busy myself, that I hadn't seen this thread at all! Very cool project, & a lot of work. I'm sure many here will be either wishing they were doing a similar project, or doing something along the same lines. Either way, this thread is wonderful, & a gold mine of information. I've been thinking of converting part of my garage space into a rehearsal/occasional low end recording space for some time, so I'll be watching your progress with extreme interest. I'm especially interested in the "room within a room" construction, as my garage space is just single clad timber walls at present, so such a construction would be critical to success.

Good luck with this mate!

Damn that is great!

Can you make a list of material and what you have paid in the end??
I did the same thing in my basement (which is not so big, though) and friends and me are thinking about building a studio ourselves. We would need to find a good room first, though!

Did you talk to any roomsound engineer, regarding improvement of room sound or stuff?

Great thread! Good luck with the rest!
David

Today's entry: May 2, 2012

Take the van, go out into the middle of nowhere (twice) and pick up 300 square metres (3000 square feet) of insulation that a nice old lady wanted to get rid of.
15.jpg

Then start stuffing your walls with the previously mentioned insulation.
16.jpg

Last edited:
Today's entry: May 7, 2012

Just a single pic today to show where we ended up on monday.

Start separating the live room and the hallway. Starting to get a very real sense of how the final live room will be now.
17.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap, it's been too long! After two months of having no time, we're finally back in the basement with our powertools.

Today's entry: July 10-17, 2012

Start constructing the walls between the live room and control booth and stuff it with insulation. Remember to put in a door.
19.jpg

There's a lot of crap in the ceiling (exposed pipes being the main issue). To avoid sound travelling through these and spreading to the rest of the building, make boxes around them and stuff it with generous amounts of insulation.
21.jpg

Last edited:
Well, freaking finally an update, eh?

Stuff has been happening, but I haven't been able to be there to help out and document it. The good news is that the floating room is now floating (minus a roof). The bad news is that the electricity and ventilation is still a bit of an unresolved issue.

Took a quick trip down there yesterday so here is the latest scoop:

Let someone else build the entire floating room while you're busy doing other things :D
This is what the walls look like now. Two layers of insulated walls and then the floating room inside it all:
extra_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back