SQ2 updates (new cymbals, pedal)

hateplow

Silver Member
I got a hold of my wife's new SLR camera...
Here are some pics of my SQ2 with more cymbals and a new DW 9000 single pedal. I sold my DW 8000 double pedal, and went back to basics.

Cymbals are Paiste:
22" Dimensions Deep Full Ride Reflector
18" Dimensions Medium Raw Crash
16" Dimensions Power Crash
14" 2002 Sound Edge
10" 2002 Wild Splash

I would like to reiterate that these drums sound swwwweeeet. Nothing i've played comes close.

Coated g1s are my new favorite snare drum head.
Both toms (g2 clears on top, stock Remo resos) are tuned so that they resonate for about 20 seconds. When I kick my bass drum, my floor tom resonates ever so slightly, so it sounds like i've got a trigger effect on my kick (just like on the 2nd Chevelle CD).

The new Wild Splash is pretty crazy. Very silvery sounding. It sounds much bigger than it's size. Not necessarily louder, but bigger...if that makes sense.

It's weird not playing a double pedal anymore, but I felt like I was relying on it too much for fills and regular double-kicks. Not to mention it broke on me...

Attachments

• 239.JPG
    239.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 865
  • 240.JPG
    240.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 867
  • 241.JPG
    241.JPG
    647.1 KB · Views: 882
  • 242.JPG
    242.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 850
Looking good, looks so comfortable. Are you using the bass pedal without using a method to protect your hoops!?

I hear musiciansfriend is having a blowout on entrances, you might want to pick one up because I can't see yours!

I think I see his entrance,

You just have to climb through the bass reso hole and take a right at the hihats.

Beautiful kit, and I can just imagine how it sounds.

Do you play matched or traditional?

The entrance is indeed tight, but I've got a relatively slim waistline :)

I am INSANELY ANAL about protectecting my hoops. I get enraged when I see beautiful kits on Ebay that say "kit is MINT, except for the ususal pedal rash"
There's actually the stock rubber pad, followed by a layer of cardboard, followed by cloth between my pedal and hoop.

I play matched grip right handed, and traditional left handed.

Ahh this is my fav kit on DW!

How is the ride? I have played Paiste Sig Full Crashes and love that sound but never the Dimensions Deep Full Ride. Whats it like?

It's pretty nice. Not too loud, slightly dark, very articulate, but with some nice dark wash. Not a lot unlike a Sig full ride, just darker with more wash.

I like heel-toe technique. This is as good as one foot drumming gets.
The kit is really sweet. Those cymbals are beautiful. Really nice setup.

There should be laws against drums this beautiful. Sick choices in cymbals and all around sweet setup.

Beautiful traps man...love your kit. This is one of the sexiest kits on the forum.

You sure like that floor tom way out in right-field though, don't you? I try to tuck mine as close to the kick as possible so moving between my snare and FT is smooth...yours would confuse and confound me. :)

I'm picky about "pedal rash" too, I was using a double-layer of felt to protect mine until I got my Pearl Masters kit - which comes with a handy aluminum guard, covered in grip-tape.

THOSE are freaking gorgeous. I priced out a dream kit in the SQ2 form Sonor, and it was gonna cost $10g's or so, so I had to settle. But those are amazing my firend. How do they sound?

THOSE are freaking gorgeous. I priced out a dream kit in the SQ2 form Sonor, and it was gonna cost $10g's or so, so I had to settle. But those are amazing my firend. How do they sound?

Nice, my thread got bumped!

The cost of SQ2's, much like EVERYTHING else has gone up significanly in the past few months. They are very pricey.
These are the best sounding drums I've ever played, and I've owned Pork Pie, Tama, DW, and Premier. I should be recording an album in studio within a month or 2. I'll be sure to include some tracks.

Back