The matching snare

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Does anyone play a snare with the same finish as your toms? Not many drummers do this from what I can tell.

I have one, but I rarely use it. My Supra and Acrolite sound much better to me.

I think a nice chrome snare (regardless of brand) looks cool behind a kit of another color.

I've never owned a matching snare. I'm thinking someday I might pick up a blue strata snare to go with the Ludwigs, but I'm very happy with my metal snares.

I do sometimes. I have an old blue satin flame Slingerland. I found a matching snare on ebay a while ago and couldn't pass it up. I use it when I feel like looking really retro. Mostly for jazz.

When I got my PDP M5 kit it came without the snare. For a while I was searching around for the matching snare to complete the kit. After a while I came to the realization that it's not that important to me. I bought a 13" Tama Artwood Birch snare instead. Looks great with my tobacco burst drums. Then just last week I scored my newly purchased Supra to add a metal snare to the mix.

To me, a snare is more like hi-hats or a ride. It stands on its own with its own unique voice.

When I see a matching snare....for whatever reason....I don't care for the look. Maybe it's because most drummers I see don't keep a matching snare. It looks boring to me. Stupid, I know. But I have to be honest.

Larry, your Guru snares match your Guru kit. Shall I slit my throat now? ;)

Works, meet monkey wrench.

You are correct about that. I forgot to mention that kits with a natural finish are exempted.

Yea that was a backpedal.

I don't play that kit out, but if I did....I would be using a matching snare for sure.

I did my first 2 kits and never have since. I prefer an un-matching snare. To me that makes the snare more special, a more individual choice.

I had one kit (MIJ stencil kit) that had a matching snare. Sold it 34 years ago.​

Yes, 3 of my 4 sets have the matching snare. I may someday make the 4th a match as well.

Nope, never had a matching snare.

Works, meet monkey wrench.

You are correct about that. I forgot to mention that kits with a natural finish are exempted.

Yea that was a backpedal.

I don't play that kit out, but if I did....I would be using a matching snare for sure.
Hahaha, just tweaking yer nipple Lar ;)

Actually, I agree with you, except for natural wood finishes of course ;) I don't even like matching snares when the wood finish has a stain, especially fades & stuff. Matching wraps don't do it for me at all, with one exception, chrome wrap kit with a chrome snare. That said, chrome wrap kit with a bronze snare is even better :)

Got a birch snare that came with the superstar customs... Never really play it. I always liked metal snares.

When my favorite girlfriend played rosewood sonors, I would sometimes switch my bass drum with hers and use a hammered bronze supra for snare with my birch sonors. It looked so good.
I've been using the matching lite snare now and I really like the sound and the looks.

I may even spring for that matching Benny Greb snare to keep it looking the same and sounding different.

Two of my kits have matching snares. The other has a chrome (?) one.

But as of today, the other snares can go and do one: I just acquired a 1970s Acrolite and now I feel like a PROPER drummer!

I almost don't understand why matching snares are even included in a lot of sets. I'd be willing to guess that probably 90% of drummers use mismatched snares. If I were a drum company exec looking to streamline costs, I'd suggest not including a matching snare. Make that something you have to order. I just got a Sonor Players kit for 450 US that came with a matching snare. Of course I'm not going to use it. Why even include it? I also just got a Yamaha Gigmaker set (not recommended) that came with a matching snare. Anybody want them?

The classic, so-called "bop kits" typically feature a wood snare drum in a matching finish. Metal snare drums seem to have risen in popularity with the advent of rock music.

Certain sets I don't mind matching snares. Old vintage drums for example. Even some newer drums like the new Gretsch offerings because they are so classic. But most new sets... seeing a matched snare looks cheesy to me. It makes no sense whatsoever and (said like Robin Leach) I don't know why!

Back