Good short film about a drummer

Saw that one a while back, and I agree, it's very well done. I think my favorite part is when he's staring through the shop window in bewilderment at that ridiculous huge double bass black kit wondering if there's even a place in today's times for his talent and art. Great little story.

WOW. This film was excellent. Thank you for sharing this, It has made an impact on me.

What an amazing little movie - quite the perspective on the life of a struggling drummer!

Wow, Dave reminds me of an older version of myself(and probably many drummers out there). Really shows that drums are the spine of the whole band, and that you can make people move by just drumming.

Nice job. Although a bit confusing in places. Is he looking lovingly at the Joey Jordison kit at the end? What's that about? Does he harbour secret metal ambitions?

Also that snare would sound rubbish sat on top of the floor tom, brushes or no brushes.

Last edited:
My guess is Dave glancing at the double bass is an artistic attempt to join drummers from various styles as one family. In case he does have some interest going DB I'm highly welcoming it, it demonstrates his open-mindedness. Personally I don't see a 'right' or 'wrong' here - why not mix anything related to drums?? I'm definitely no purist in this regard.

Nice film, and very well made, but I am a little tired of the poor pathetic musician sterotype- being toyed with by the Rothschilds bit.

I agree, it's a well-made film.

But I must be the only one who's not getting it. It was a little annoying to see 'the drummer' portrayed as some kind of lonely-I-lack-social-skills-and-can't-pay-my-bills-on-time-and-have-to-live-in-a-crappy-environment type of person. It seems so stereotypical of the down-and-out would-be hipster portrayed in Steely Dan's Deacon Blues. If anything, it kinda' makes me not want to identify with being a musician. But I suppose somewhere deep inside I do identify because in a way I've been there - totally down on my luck, and then go out and do one gig and things change overnight. Even then, at the end of the movie when you hear the phone message about the drummer being free for the next year, that's real cool and all, and if I was 20, that'd be something. However when you're in your 40s you realize, it's only a year. What about after that? Sorry, I seemed to identify with the dad calling him on the phone telling him to get his act together, too.

I think you might all be reading too much into the Joey Jordison kit. I think it's just he has an old knackered kit, and that's a new kit he can't afford.

And Bo Eder, you're right, he's a proper sad sack.

I nice little short about a drumer at the end of the day.

But his kit's perfect for what he's doing (although what kind of jazz drummer doesn't have a ride cymbal in this day and age?). Anyway, reading into things is what I do for fun!

WOOOW!! I felt almost the same in every aspect of every post that EVERYbody posted about this fim! Thats why I shared it! There are so many small messages through out the film it's incredible!

Bo- I do agree with you abit on the fact that he seems to be down on his luck and kind of a slacker in his dads eye,... but was he?

What was he telling the "Joey" kit? I don't need you? Any drum will Do?

The Rythem lives inside me?

I'm not really sure I'll have to watch it again.....

Back