Neal Morgan

Salix

Trying to identify these drums. Hope the image is good enough.

The drummer is Neal Morgan, he's worked with Bill Callahan (SMOG), Joanna Newsom.

Attachments

• Neal Morgan.jpg
    Neal Morgan.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 331
I would have to agree. My best guess would be Ludwig Classic Maple, possibly the Legacy line... In what appears to be a golden slumbers finish. At least, that is my best guess. Those look like Ludwig Imperial snare lugs as well, but it is a little hard to tell with so little lighting.

Just listened to Rock Bottom Riser for the first time. Good stuff.

Thanks- Ludwigs seem to be the consensus.

He's worked on the live stuff with Joanna Newsom since 2006 and drumming can be heard throughout all of the 2010 album Have One On Me and for Callahan his drumming is heard in the 2011 album Apocalypse.

Here's a better picture of the small tom and snare.

Your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 4482302388_c459d8c11a_b.jpg
    4482302388_c459d8c11a_b.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 185
Thanks- Ludwigs seem to be the consensus.

He's worked on the live stuff with Joanna Newsom since 2006 and drumming can be heard throughout all of the 2010 album Have One On Me and for Callahan his drumming is heard in the 2011 album Apocalypse.

Here's a better picture of the small tom and snare.

Your help is much appreciated.

I am sure someone else with a little more knowledge will be along shortly, but it looks to me that this might be a mixed set. The earlier photo showing the bass drum and floor tom looked to be Ludwig, but the rack tom lugs don't look like Ludwig to me.

That missing bracket could have held a bass drum mounted cymbal. I'm going with it's not a converted floor tom, it is a bass drum that had a cymbal holder bracket. The hoops match the finish too well for me to think it's a conversion. But it could very well be a conversion. I'm going with not. The high tom looks like possibly Slingerland lugs, maybe Gretsch, but the rest of the drums are definitely Luds. They are different bass drums in each pic for sure.

Small tom is definitely a Slingerland from the lugs and also think that the BD mount was for a cymbal and the drum has been turned round, it's in the right poisition for a rightie BD mounted cymbal if the drum is back to front.

If it was a converted FT then you'd be able to see another set of bracket holes at the equivalent position on the other side of the BD (about 10 o' clock). The pic from the front clearly shows that not to be the case so it's a bass drum.

If it was a converted FT then you'd be able to see another set of bracket holes at the equivalent position on the other side of the BD (about 10 o' clock). The pic from the front clearly shows that not to be the case so it's a bass drum.

Not necessarily. If it's a conversion with no tom mount, and no sign of mounted legs from the pictures, it could be rotated any way each time he plays it, so there is no "well, the holes should be HERE" argument that holds water. Given the presence of obvious tom leg bracket holes in the one pic, I would wager that it's a conversion. Plus, he used to work at Revival Drum Shop, so he probably knows several people who do hole plugging/repair work if he were to want to make the drum look "virgin." If that pic with no visible tom leg bracket holes was taken after the other pic with the bracket holes, he might have had that work done. Also, who's to say that the bass drum in both pics is the same one...???

I know this thread is old, but I was able to communicate with the drummer.
He said it was a "18" Ludwig 80s floor tom conversion."

Back